Ride Rite air bags?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 11:42 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,481 Likes on 2,863 Posts
Originally Posted by ExcursionPSD
I have the Air Lift sytem with small hard plastic hoses, that use compression pushin fittings for the hose. I have an Air Lift setup with two gauges, with control valves for each side, mounted below the dashboard.

A quick simple, cheap solution would be to just put a shutoff valve between the tee and one of the bags.

. Open the valve before filling the bags. Do this when the vehicle is level side to side.
. Fill the bags to the desired pressure.
. Close the valve installed between the tee and one of the bags. The bags are now isolated from each other.
I thought about this myself and figured that would work. Although, I also sent an email to Air Lift to see if they have a better solution for me. If they do not, then I will take the manual shut off valve course if the leaning or variance in pressure appears to be a problem.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:13 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,315 Posts
So I understand this correctly if you tie in both air lines into one fill port the air will transferred from one bag to the other depending on terrain conditions and load placement?
Possible causing unsafe condition, I'm guessing the air will transfer back to both bags for even pressure?

Old 01-17-2017, 01:45 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by scraprat
So I understand this correctly if you tie in both air lines into one fill port the air will transferred from one bag to the other depending on terrain conditions and load placement?
Possible causing unsafe condition, I'm guessing the air will transfer back to both bags for even pressure?

Breathe.
First, since you are posting in the fifth wheel towing forum, I'm going to take a stab and guess you are going to tow a fifth wheel with the bags installed. Since fifth wheel hitches are not normally mounted off center in the bed of your truck, there is nothing to worry about.
IF you are carrying a slide in camper, it is a good idea to run separate lines to the airbags.
IF you are carrying a very heavy load on one side of the bed, it is a good idea to run separate lines to the airbags.
Otherwise, it's a non issue.
I've never experienced ANY issue with a single point air fill port on my airbags.
If I ever buy a big ol' honkin' slide in truck camper, I'll go ahead and separate them out. Until then, ask the alarmists to produce one single documented instance where airbags with a single air fill port were cited as the cause of a vehicle accident.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:51 PM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by wrvond
Breathe.
First, since you are posting in the fifth wheel towing forum, I'm going to take a stab and guess you are going to tow a fifth wheel with the bags installed. Since fifth wheel hitches are not normally mounted off center in the bed of your truck, there is nothing to worry about.
IF you are carrying a slide in camper, it is a good idea to run separate lines to the airbags.
IF you are carrying a very heavy load on one side of the bed, it is a good idea to run separate lines to the airbags.
Otherwise, it's a non issue.
I've never experienced ANY issue with a single point air fill port on my airbags.
If I ever buy a big ol' honkin' slide in truck camper, I'll go ahead and separate them out. Until then, ask the alarmists to produce one single documented instance where airbags with a single air fill port were cited as the cause of a vehicle accident.
I disagree, if the wind is blowing, a semi passes or you are towing on anything but level ground the the load will transfer side to side and the bags need to be isolated.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:04 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I do not think the air moving from one side to another will ever cause a dangerous condition.

just provide balance.. and any difference from side to side..

the biggest AID is slide in campers.. and heaver weight on one side of truck bed.

but then I believe anti-sway bars are needed in front and rear of trucks and cars.

its about control and adjust-ability

Old 01-17-2017, 07:05 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,512 Likes on 1,315 Posts
When the time comes and I install the airbags I'll just use separate fill points. It's just a matter of lifting the air chuck to the other fill point and checking pressure. Thanks

Old 01-17-2017, 08:38 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I think I am going to install a valve that has the quick connects on it on each side and just splice it into the drivers side line from the manifold. I will mount the valve on top of the frame behind/above the rear drivers side wheel out of sight and just reach back there to close or open it based on the condition.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:55 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by scraprat
When the time comes and I install the airbags I'll just use separate fill points. It's just a matter of lifting the air chuck to the other fill point and checking pressure. Thanks
If you do that, you will most certainly get more air in one side than the other. Your truck will lean to one side and the slightest puff of air will roll you over.

Dire consequences await you! You heard it here first!

But seriously, these things don't really use a high volume of air, it is harder than the dickens to make them exactly equal. Not to mention how hard it is to find a pressure gauge that measures that low.
If you want separate lines, I recommend going with an onboard compressor with readout.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:57 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by jsm180
I disagree, if the wind is blowing, a semi passes or you are towing on anything but level ground the the load will transfer side to side and the bags need to be isolated.
You're entitled to disagree, but my experience defies the validity of your statement.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:09 AM
Iceman1777
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Concur with wrvond. I have a single point fill and have only noticed any strange air movement in a sharp turn with braking at less than 1 mph with the 5er hitched up. It will bounce in a strange way. Normal driving conditions everything is normal, hooked or unhooked, including evasive maneuvers. I like the single point fill for riding level and will keep it until there is a legitimate reason not to.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:07 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
This is the response I received from Air Lift. This is good enough for me to continue on with the single path air for my uses which are towing a 5th wheel trailer and the occasional run to the dump or lumber yard.

This system is a single path only. It can not be modified to a dual path. The dual path wireless kit is part number 72000. The only reason you should get any transfer is if you are loading unevenly in the bed of the truck. The factory suspension is still going to limit the transfer if any between the bags. If you have an in-bed camper I would suggest a dual path kit. If you are towing it will not matter

Old 01-18-2017, 05:23 PM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts
From Firestone Ride Rite FAQ http://riderite.com/installation-sup...sked-questions

"Q. Can I add a “T” fitting to inflate both air springs equally?
  • Yes, but adding a “T” fitting will not allow you to level side-to-side and will allow air to go from one side to the other, which sacrifices some of the stability that the Ride-Rite kit adds. Firestone does not include "T" fittings in the kits for this reason."

Old 01-19-2017, 06:43 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
My experience had been the same as Sous and Wrvond. I no longer own a slide in camper (haven't for many years), so the gross difference in side to side load is a non issue for me. For my uses, and my needs, my loads will be 100 % even across my rear axle, whether I'm pulling my 5th wheel, or one of my bumper pull trailers. My real world experiences have mirrored what Air Lift's response to Sous has been.

This is much ado about nothing.

Unless the OP HAS a huge slide in camper, which it doesn't appear that he does. Since he doesn't, you are comparing apples to zebras.

You have a much more realistic problem of getting the same amount of air pressure in both rear bags at the same time if you are running separate lines to separate bags. There's just so little air volume in the system it is a huge pain the backside to get them equal. I had similar headaches many moons ago with air shocks on a car with separate air lines. Finally got fed up with it and plummed them together.