Airbag Minimum PSI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 01:22 AM
Toy3zve
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag Minimum PSI?

On my Ride-Rites (Firestone), the manual recommends keeping 5 psi in the airbags when not towing to "prevent damage" to the bags. BUT...I've found that with 5 LBS. left in the bags the ride is much stiffer than usual. And since the truck rides pretty stiff to begin with, I really don't appreciate the stiffer ride. So, I've been leaving 0 PSI in the bags when not towing.

Anyone else doing this with their airbags?

Also, where are you guys mounting your remote "Air Commands" in your Super Dutys?

Thanks.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:34 AM
BlueOvalBoy
Senior User
I keep 10 psi. Recommended by the installer. He has seen issues when less pressure is kept in the ride-rites.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:44 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Toy3zve,

As BlueOvalBoy said, you need to keep the recommended minimum amount of air in the air bags or they will fail prematurely. If the ride is to rough with 5psi in the air bags (this is a truck BTW) then you would be better off to air down your rear tires a little when running empty, than running no air in the air bags. Just remember to air your tires back up to proper pressure for any load or trailer you are towing.

Hope this helps

Old 12-03-2006, 07:13 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Thats odd, with 5 psi in each bag on mine, I think it rides a little bit better. At anyrate, I put my controls in the glove box.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:21 AM
BlueOvalBoy
Senior User
Wink

Originally Posted by cangim
Thats odd, with 5 psi in each bag on mine, I think it rides a little bit better. At anyrate, I put my controls in the glove box.
That is odd. I cannot get mine to smooth out unless I have 500 lbs in the bed. Darn lumber wagon.
OK by me, if I wanted a smooth ride I would shackle it.. or buy a 1/2 ton... hee hee Not

give me heavy leafs..Break out the big lumber.

Peace

Old 12-05-2006, 06:15 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Toy3zve
On my Ride-Rites (Firestone), the manual recommends keeping 5 psi in the airbags when not towing to "prevent damage" to the bags. BUT...I've found that with 5 LBS. left in the bags the ride is much stiffer than usual. And since the truck rides pretty stiff to begin with, I really don't appreciate the stiffer ride. So, I've been leaving 0 PSI in the bags when not towing.

Anyone else doing this with their airbags?

Also, where are you guys mounting your remote "Air Commands" in your Super Dutys?

Thanks.
You should keep the air in them at all times. Most systems won't let you bleed them down under 10 psi. The rubber will crack in the groves if you let the air out.