2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

"Field Service Action: Oil Pressure"

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 06:04 AM
Hammered29
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep,I'm part of it.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:22 AM
kylant
Fleet Mechanic
Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
I had my truck at the dealer yesterday for a misinstalled coil spring rubber isolator. they did not say anything about any recalls or bulletins.
i have seen a few posts on Facebook about this issue
Nothing shown on my vehicle page on the Ford owners website.
My truck was built 11/29

Old 12-31-2016, 07:31 AM
railrode1
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AllGoNShow
I thought the frame support issue was Gas motors only, that shows on the diesel VIN if that is indeed the truck.

EDIT:
ETIS Truck info
Build Date: 12.09.2016
Vehicle Line: F-Series Super Duty
Body Style: Double Cab (3/4 Door)
Version: 350 Series
Engine: 6.7L 4V V8 T/C Diesel
Transmission: 6 Speed Auto Trans (6R140)
Drive: LHD 4WD (PTD)
Axle Ratio: 3.55
Emission: 50 State Emission Requirements
Air Conditioning: High Capacity Air Conditioner
Territory: (+)"USA"
Paint: Ingot Silver Metallic 2

It was a September 12 2016 build. Great! I hope this doesn't include early December builds. It's amazing what we can find doing a little detective work 😉

Old 12-31-2016, 09:05 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,204 Likes on 578 Posts
OK, to add a little levity to this thread, I contacted someone in the know at Ford and got the following response on this issue. Initially I thought it was off the record but he gave me permission to share it here with you fine folks. He also said he'd drop in and clear up any additional questions if needed. So, no stop ship at all. Just a pre delivery test...

"It's real, but very exaggerated by the video floating around and the forum threads.

Right now it's a standard demonstration/delivery hold. The bulletin is posted up on Ford's internal website for dealers. It's a simple scan with IDS at startup that the tech must check. If the truck passes the test, it's ready to sell and no repairs are required. If it fails the test, the dealer is to hold it until parts and repair procedures are released, due mid January.

Here's the kicker.... Ford is currently estimating about 1% of trucks are affected. So it's not a widespread problem. I'm certain that a few people will take this and run as if all trucks are now a disaster waiting to happen.

Basically it's the engine oil pump that is the culprit. The test checks the oil pressure at startup, as the OIL_LOW_SW PID must change from "low" to "not low" in less than 3.25 seconds. If the oil pump can't get the pressure up within that time, it leaves the engine vulnerable to catastrophic damage and low-mileage failure."

Speaking of Curtis... scroll down...

Old 12-31-2016, 09:07 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Just to clear the air on this topic.

Yes there is a field service bulletin out to all the dealers regarding engine oil pressures on 2017 6.7L PowerStrokes. Dealers are to perform an inspection of all unsold trucks. If the truck fails inspection, the dealer is to hold it until a fix is released - due mid January.

The bulletin also states that less than 1% of trucks are expected to be affected and require repair. The rest are fine.

Being that this affects such a small percentage of trucks suggests that this is not a widespread problem, and shouldn't be a concern for owners. Demonstration/delivery holds happen all the time. Ford is aware of an issue and will have a solution in the coming weeks for those trucks that are affected.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:10 AM
78Explorer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is there a specific production range for this issue?

Old 12-31-2016, 09:15 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 78Explorer
is there a specific production range for this issue?
Yes. Ford is identifying them in OASIS.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:16 AM
System
Prolocutor
Thanks for dropping in and clearing this up Curtis. It's nice to hear the facts and details about the issue and to know that while it's not exactly what we want to hear about our new trucks, that most of us won't be affected and if we are, that there's an easy solution....

Old 12-31-2016, 09:35 AM
78Explorer
Posting Guru
So I just need to have my service mgr pull up my vin and see if it applies to mine?

Old 12-31-2016, 09:37 AM
System
Prolocutor
So I just need to have my service mgr pull up my vin and see if it applies to mine?

Or you could look it up yourself like Hammered29 did. Either way...

Old 12-31-2016, 09:45 AM
Wannaf250
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
OK, to add a little levity to this thread, I contacted someone in the know at Ford and got the following response on this issue. Initially I thought it was off the record but he gave me permission to share it here with you fine folks. He also said he'd drop in and clear up any additional questions if needed. So, no stop ship at all. Just a pre delivery test...

"It's real, but very exaggerated by the video floating around and the forum threads.

Right now it's a standard demonstration/delivery hold. The bulletin is posted up on Ford's internal website for dealers. It's a simple scan with IDS at startup that the tech must check. If the truck passes the test, it's ready to sell and no repairs are required. If it fails the test, the dealer is to hold it until parts and repair procedures are released, due mid January.

Here's the kicker.... Ford is currently estimating about 1% of trucks are affected. So it's not a widespread problem. I'm certain that a few people will take this and run as if all trucks are now a disaster waiting to happen.

Basically it's the engine oil pump that is the culprit. The test checks the oil pressure at startup, as the OIL_LOW_SW PID must change from "low" to "not low" in less than 3.25 seconds. If the oil pump can't get the pressure up within that time, it leaves the engine vulnerable to catastrophic damage and low-mileage failure."

Speaking of Curtis... scroll down...
This is a super helpful post. Thank you very much. Having this level accuracy and credibility is a real asset to the forum.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:47 AM
78Explorer
Posting Guru
out of town for work at the moment...don't have my VIN handy...but looking at his screen capture, I don't see any indication of how he arrived at that screen...am I just missing something? What website produced that info?

Old 12-31-2016, 09:52 AM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by Wannaf250
This is a super helpful post. Thank you very much. Having this level accuracy and credibility is a real asset to the forum.

I agree and was glad to hear Curtis' reply.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:52 AM
System
Prolocutor
out of town for work at the moment...don't have my VIN handy...but looking at his screen capture, I don't see any indication of how he arrived at that screen...am I just missing something? What website produced that info?

Not sure which site he was using Scott. Someone will post it shortly I'm sure or you could shoot him a PM...

Old 12-31-2016, 09:54 AM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammered29
Yep,I'm part of it.
What App or website is this?

Quick Reply: "Field Service Action: Oil Pressure"