2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

"Field Service Action: Oil Pressure"

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 02:31 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 699 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by radium
Ford would love it sweep under the rug and have nothing discussed again to save face in the automotive industry I get it but, anyway let's not get my post edited Again by the powers-that-be.
I don't recall editing any posts of yours. Ford doesn't own this forum, and has absolutely zero influence in how it's run. I don't give a crap what Ford's PR thinks of the discussion on here, and neither do the rest of the site staff.

Originally Posted by radium
My brother and another mechanic spent yesterday tearing into one of the trucks pre purchase an awaiting delivery Tuesday that was checked and show the same symptoms after ripping into the front they found what they believe to be the culprit oil seal seems to gotten pinched on the inter cover which is allowing internal air to enter the system especially in cold conditions so they believe they will find out more when they contact Ford Motor Company now once again they could be wrong but,this is what they're observing will know more on January 3rd or 4th take care and happy New Year
So...to be clear...your brother took apart a new truck before the issue and fix have been made public? I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with mechanics at my local dealer exploring when a known fix was coming down after the bulletin was issued. Not saying he's not capable of it, but it seems a bit odd...does that dealer pay their techs flat-rate? Who's paying for the hours if Ford hasn't told them to work on it?

Old 01-01-2017, 03:01 PM
RedRage
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tested mine with Forscan

Hooked up Forscan to my 2017 F350 and watched the pid OIL_LOW_SW and it went from low to not low in 2 seconds. Seems good to me. I ran my vin and it showed nothing. Build date 10/26/16. Just for fun I did the same thing to our 3.5 eco in the F150 and it changed in about half a second! Different engines I know but just wanted to compare.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:07 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,204 Likes on 578 Posts
Originally Posted by RedRage
Hooked up Forscan to my 2017 F350 and watched the pid OIL_LOW_SW and it went from "low" to "not low" in 2 seconds. Seems good to me. I ran my vin and it showed nothing. Build date 10/26/16. Just for fun I did the same thing to our 3.5 eco in the F150 and it changed in about half a second! Different engines I know but just wanted to compare.

That's some helpful info right there. Glad to hear owners can check this themselves with Forscan. Reps sent.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:08 PM
AllGoNShow
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Luckyc1423
I'm still curious to hear if I should be concenered since mine has to have this check done?

i pick the car up next week and I am alittke uneasy now with my car having to have this check done.

will my dealership provide proof it passed the test? If it passed the test should I still be worried?

if it fails the test I am rejecting the vehicle.

there are other 2017's on their lot that is "similar" to what I ordered. Should I not risk it and get one of those?

i understand I'm probably over reacting, but when you pay $80k and hear "possible engine failure" it definitely makes me uneasy
You should probably cancel your order and just hop in a car on the lot, you clearly don't need a 'truck' and are now worried that it may break on you without any knowledge of what happens in the industry when things like these come up.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:10 PM
RedRage
Tuned
Hear from others

I would like to hear from others so I can compare my results.
Thanks

Old 01-01-2017, 03:13 PM
klassic
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Hooked up Forscan to my 2017 F350 and watched the pid OIL_LOW_SW and it went from low to not low in 2 seconds. Seems good to me. I ran my vin and it showed nothing. Build date 10/26/16. Just for fun I did the same thing to our 3.5 eco in the F150 and it changed in about half a second! Different engines I know but just wanted to compare.
RedRage can you point out in forscan where to find this for a dummy like myself.
I was lucky I changed the double horn honk

Old 01-01-2017, 03:14 PM
Luckyc1423
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AllGoNShow
You should probably cancel your order and just hop in a car on the lot, you clearly don't need a 'truck' and are now worried that it may break on you without any knowledge of what happens in the industry when things like these come up.
thanks for the smart a$$ remark.

i have always owned trucks, this is just the most by far I have ever spent on a vehicle so of course I want my truck to be "perfect"

i am getting a 5 year extended warranty so I'm sure if the engine blows it will be within the 5 year period which puts me at "ease"

Old 01-01-2017, 03:22 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 540 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by wharrell
For those of myself where the truck has been built, but not yet delivered to the dealer, this is critical information. If the dealer has to do the oil pump repair, most individuals would insist on re-ordering the truck.
How would having this repair done by the dealer before delivery be any different than the dealer doing it the day after delivery? Repair is the same either way. Yeah, not ideal, but it would be fine.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:29 PM
wharrell
Tuned

I would like to hear from others so I can compare my results.
Thanks
My 2017 has been sitting at the KTP Plant not shipped for 2 weeks.

I will do what you did with ForeScan on my 2015 just for reference and report back.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:36 PM
daVincidoc
Senior User
As many have pointed out these new vehicles are so laden with technology that I am surprised there are not more significant issues. There are more problems in our medical offices and hospitals with EMR technology than my truck will ever have---but, no big deal, it is only health care and the main emphasis these days is cost with quality tagging along behind. Hence I also purchased an extended warranty and will not be worried(about my truck).

Old 01-01-2017, 03:44 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 699 Likes on 453 Posts
PSA: if the purpose of your post is to attack someone for their word choice, please don't bother posting. We're not that kind of forum.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:48 PM
RedRage
Tuned
Forscan Procedure

Start Forscan as usual. Go to Read PID Data. Its the 3rd square down on the left side in the Forscan software. Go to set up at the bottom. Its the 3rd button in from the left. Select low oil pressure PID from the list then start recording by hitting the first button at the bottom. now start the truck and watch the PID go from low to not low. Count the seconds. Thats it!
Mine was about 2 seconds when cold in the morning. I did the test a second time about a minute after the first and the change from low to not low was immediate.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:58 PM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wharrell
My 2017 has been sitting at the KTP Plant not shipped for 2 weeks.

I will do what you did with ForeScan on my 2015 just for reference and report back.
I'm curious to hear what it is on your 2015. Thanks for doing this.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:00 PM
FONRDAY
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Angry The point is

He mocks ford he says he won't buy one and laughs he put out a scare to superduty owners and probably lost sales over the holiday weekend... and no service department was open yesterday for them to tear into . I talked to a dealer owner yesterday show him the video and he sent to somebody at Ford headquarters he said was very un professional . He knows the dealer that the video was taken yeah

Old 01-01-2017, 04:05 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I just confirmed on FORScan lite Android. My truck happened to be sitting in the garage since last night so I turned on accessory power on the truck before starting FORScan on my phone. Then started FORScan on the phone and added the PID mentioned above. Then started the dashboard and watched the PID go from Low to Not Low in less than 2 seconds. This can be tested without having to use the full FORScan app on the Windows PC.

Quick Reply: "Field Service Action: Oil Pressure"