1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Centurion E350

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 11:30 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by teamtestbot
Sup gang,

Bit of help with "truck words"... What is this fairing/cowling thing called, and does anyone have a favorite vendor to support? I'd like to pick one up for the Vantruck. Right now it "ends" very abruptly, so to speak. I'm pretty sure the bed is a few inches shorter height-wise than a regular pickup bed so it might need to be modified, but an example would help greatly.

I believe the most popular one of those would be a Lund "Fastback" cab fairing. They also had a "Racerback" that had a built in spoiler. But the Racerback mounted to the cab not the box. I don't think either are produced any more. And I seriously doubt they would have a direct fit one for your van/truck.

Your box appears to be wider and shorter then a standard truck box. So you might be stuck making one from scratch or having one made if you want one.

You could try to modify one but the top on one would end right across the middle of your rear window. And cutting one and raising it enough to match your roof is going to look strange without making the base longer to get a angle that looks good.

Another option might be to have one made out of tubing and then skin it with sheet metal. It depends how much you like working with fiberglass.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:34 PM
teamtestbot
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone. Yeah, I'm not hankering for one, just curious if they were a common product. The bed is indeed shorter heightwise than a standard pickup bed, so all the fitment issues stated would come up.

I may pursue the headache rack option later on since it might play better with a bed mounted toolbox.

Higher priority is more than rear-tank-only range though

Old 12-19-2016, 08:25 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i've had some real trouble getting 'fuel prts' 4 the 2 tanks (1980 model).
Switch over valve is a lill easier among all that stuff tho.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:12 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I may pursue the headache rack option later on since it might play better with a bed mounted toolbox.

Higher priority is more than rear-tank-only range though
If you really want to extend the range. Have you considered something like a in the box transfer tank? They offer some really nice tank/tool box combo units. But I'm sure they aren't cheap.

I'm going to convert my dual tank set up on my 89 E350 to a larger rear single tank. That way I can dump the selector valve and any other crap that's not needed. Make things simpler so there is less chance of things going wrong.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:44 AM
teamtestbot
Junior User
I saw some of those for sale during my tours of truck accessory websites. Think I will try to tackle the fuel tank switching system some point later first. Though, if any of you have examples of people who have switched a dual-tank setup on a F/E350 to a single large tank, that would be useful also. These Centurion E350s seem to have all come with dual tanks.

The truck is currently at a local truck shop having the rear fenders and exhaust system repaired. Pretty excited to get it back soon!

Old 12-21-2016, 07:13 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
"... to a larger rear single tank…."
"...switched a dual-tank setup on a F/E350 to a single large tank…"

How biga single tank can U get in there? Who makes it? Any1 have a report on success?
Just too frustrated in gettin the mid ship filler hose, ele harness, etc
/OR/
same in rear tank.

Just wanna start all over again w/after mrkt (unfortunately).

Old 12-22-2016, 08:11 AM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chrlsful
"... to a larger rear single tank…."
"...switched a dual-tank setup on a F/E350 to a single large tank…"

How biga single tank can U get in there? Who makes it? Any1 have a report on success?
Just too frustrated in gettin the mid ship filler hose, ele harness, etc
/OR/
same in rear tank.

Just wanna start all over again w/after mrkt (unfortunately).
From what I've dealt with.........'92 and '94 cut-away's (cube vans) they have an "aft - tank", behind the rear axle, both are 40 gallon tanks, single in tank pump/sending unit.

I also have a '90 cube van parked for storage, and that has the aft-tank.

Might be the way to go to get rid of the 2 tanks and double pumps ect.....

Deal with the filler neck behind the rear wheels?

Parts source.......junk yard or P-N-P? If your near me......the '90 is parked, the '94 is heading to scrap yard soon (if the price of scrap ever rises)

Old 12-22-2016, 03:00 PM
WarrensE350
Tuned
Nothing helpful to add here, but I love that thing! I'd own one in a second.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:10 AM
monstrs
Mountain Pass
There is some plastic fuel tanks up to 55 gallons, both midship and rear. If you want to use just one, better go with midship tank, as the truck will be better balanced, shorter way to engine and in the rear you can stick some spare tire.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:18 AM
teamtestbot
Junior User
I wouldn't mind doing that. Got a part # or vendor link?

Old 12-23-2016, 02:26 AM
monstrs
Mountain Pass
I wouldn't mind doing that. Got a part # or vendor link?
I have seen those tanks quite a lot in here, they were popular for econolines in eastern Europe, can't say any part number, maybe later this week i will connect with the guy who had a lot of them. AS far as i know they are made in Poland, total aftermarket, but i do not know any further details. New they costs around 1500 -2000$, depends on how good they sits in the bottom, just a big cubes that almost touches the ground are cheaper. Used they costs around 400 to 600$.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:48 PM
teamtestbot
Junior User
The brown is back. I took it to a shop recommended by some friends to have the exhaust system replaced and the fender hole repaired. The owner of the shop seems quite excited about it, and I now have him as a clearinghouse of sorts for services I can't handle on my own.

Next on my docket is the gas tanks, when weather permits better. Gee, at this rate I'm never going to get to merging it with a Model S....

Old 01-12-2017, 02:12 AM
teamtestbot
Junior User
Any of y'all know if the captain chairs in these cross-reference with any other Ford models and years? Both of mine are pretty torn up. At the same time I'm consulting with the shop about getting them re-upholstered, I've been thinking of just replacing them outright. Referencing my shop book for the 86 E-350, the seats in the Centurion do not have the same bracket (as far as I can tell - might have a closer look later)

Old 01-13-2017, 03:46 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Ur foam still looks good, I'd just recover.
I didn't think I'd B able to uph. a car seat (just like rebuild a carb) but with some help
(frm youtube) I did both successfully. I bought hog ring plyers, the rings and covers.
I hadda go all the way down on passengers side only & repainted springs, did foam etc.
U could do that & not hafta search out the swivel, track, etc (I imagine) or cross match another yr/model…
Good Luck, keep talkin~

Old 01-13-2017, 04:18 PM
jbwheels
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With that pedestal you could mount just about anything you want in there I'd think.

Quick Reply: Centurion E350