Obd2 scanner

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 05:30 PM
Proudtruckowner
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obd2 scanner

Hello all,

I hope I'm doing this right. I bought a f350 Friday. 3 days later it died all of a sudden. Won't turn over check engine light on. Oil light temp too. Bought an obd2 reader from autozone will not connect. Being broke at this point I was wondering if anyone in the Denver area might have a good obd2 reader that works on f350 and can swing by 58th and Broadway to help,me check codes. I did the fuse thing and it is in good shape replaced it just for peace of mind and power plugs all work. Im hoping it just a cam shaft sensor but cant pull code to find out.

Thanks in advance
James

Old 11-06-2016, 05:35 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
A failed cam position sensor (CPS) will not prevent the engine from turning over. If you have dash lights lit at lest you have power when you turn the key on. What year is the truck? (early models have a starter relay on the fender that you can jump with a screwdriver) Have you checked battery strength and connections?

And if you search Tugly, he has a BEST link in his signature, it lists members with diagnostic equipment and their locations.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:39 PM
Proudtruckowner
Freshman User
Good to know. Battery connects look tight and good. They are old 11/11 and 12/13. It showed good levels till I tried to start it a few times now it goes below the first line on the little gauge. It is a 2000 I don't know about a starter relay or how it effects the truck. It does have power just will not turn over.����

It has the dp tuner on it don't know if that matters. Also will the check engine light come on if the battery is low?

Old 11-06-2016, 05:46 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Welllllll first things first and truck won't start without good batteries and good connections. Batteries should be replaced in pairs as one weak one will kill a good one on the other side of the truck. 5 years is not too early for a battery to go south. If you could unhook them, charge them and load test them it would be a start, then you could polish up those connections. I grease mine after cleaning to prevent corrosion. Then you could move to the next step.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:51 PM
Proudtruckowner
Freshman User
Ok. SOunds good to me. I'm waiting for a tow to work where I'll be sleeping in the back cab area and first thing tomorrow I'll remove the battery's and run them up to orielys and have them charge and tested and polish them connected and get back to you tomorrow afternoon. I think it's the check engine light that scares me to most lol..

Thanks again. I'm going from a little old 350z to this monster so I have a lot to learn about it..

Old 11-06-2016, 05:52 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Do you have enough battery so you have headlights? When you turn the key, do the dash lights dim or go out?

Old 11-06-2016, 06:01 PM
Proudtruckowner
Freshman User
They are on but when you turn the key they go out same for the dash lights. Now i have drained them to the point of clicking. Going to probably just buy new batteries tomorrow. Whiting on Usaa for a tow right now till then. I just pray it runs after that. It ran strong and good. Up till a couple hours ago. First it stalled at idle then. Turned the key fired back up went in to target came out started up drove 100 yards park walked into Wendy's wouldn't start after that cranked it a few times nothing.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:02 PM
Proudtruckowner
Freshman User
Also it it normal for the power plugs to stay powered on after the truck is turned off

Old 11-06-2016, 06:18 PM
Proudtruckowner
Freshman User
OH and don't know if this is related but I noticed the wait to start light doesn't come on when you turn the key to the on position.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:27 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Dead batteries for sure, but why? Get batteries tested in the event they can be salvaged. Then the question is why they died, alternator problem or something else. Even a cheap volt meter to measure voltage at the batteries when the engine is running would give you direction.

Steve

Old 11-06-2016, 06:38 PM
Proudtruckowner
Freshman User
Ok. I'm going to try and get the battery's in to O'Reillys auto part it's only a block from my work tonight so they can charge up overnight. See heat they say in the morning. Then go from there..either they charge or I buy new ones. I'll post update after I do that and test with a volt meter

Old 11-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Proudtruckowner
Freshman User
Update..2 new battery's and still doesn't start. No wait to start light and check engine light is on. Obd2 port still not connecting to scanner just cranks but won't turn over

Old 11-06-2016, 09:20 PM
pirschwagon
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Proudtruckowner
Obd2 port still now connecting
Do you mean "Not"

No WTS indicates the PCM is not active. Explains why the tool wonk connect.

Have you check all fuses?
Any work done lately?
Programmer or Chip?
Electrical Gremlins?

Old 11-06-2016, 09:22 PM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
In particular fuse #30? If this is blown, disconnect your fuel bowl heater, replace the fuse and try and see if your WTS comes back......

Old 11-06-2016, 09:25 PM
Proudtruckowner
Freshman User
Just bought the truck Friday. It has run fine till about 2:30 today then this afternoon. As far as I can see it has a dp tuner on it. I'll check fuses in the morning when I have better light. Will post what I find. The fact I can't pull the check engine light is bothering me. Makes me think something serious is wrong.

Quick Reply: Obd2 scanner