Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 new fuel filter

Old 09-07-2017, 08:52 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
I could be wrong but the recommendation on how frequently to change the filter in that video seems to be wildly inaccurate. Way too frequent. Maybe I misheard but I thought he said to change the water/fuel separator filter every two fuel fill ups. I thought the schedule was to change it at 15,000 miles.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:45 AM
radium
Elder User
radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.radium is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well I own a 17 now and all I can tell you is I'm going to change it every 10,000 miles just like my 16 Upstate New York fuels ridiculously dirty although I must admit the new filter seems like it will do a much better job than the old spin on canister. It really depends on the area you're located in some people have even claimed that they don't need to add any additive in the winter time for fuel gelling don't try that up here one 12 degree night and you'll be stuck lol good old New York State highest taxes on fuel and the worst conditioned fuel take care

Old 09-14-2017, 07:18 PM
sgrol
Posting Guru
sgrol is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sgrol is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
I could be wrong but the recommendation on how frequently to change the filter in that video seems to be wildly inaccurate. Way too frequent. Maybe I misheard but I thought he said to change the water/fuel separator filter every two fuel fill ups. I thought the schedule was to change it at 15,000 miles.
Believe he said drain the water (or check for water) every other tank or after each tank of fuel.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:50 PM
WK15
Elder User
WK15 has a very good reputation on FTE.WK15 has a very good reputation on FTE.WK15 has a very good reputation on FTE.WK15 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:34 AM
lynnmor
Senior User
lynnmor has a good reputation on FTE.lynnmor has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by radium View Post
Well I own a 17 now and all I can tell you is I'm going to change it every 10,000 miles just like my 16 Upstate New York fuels ridiculously dirty although I must admit the new filter seems like it will do a much better job than the old spin on canister. It really depends on the area you're located in some people have even claimed that they don't need to add any additive in the winter time for fuel gelling don't try that up here one 12 degree night and you'll be stuck lol good old New York State highest taxes on fuel and the worst conditioned fuel take care
Hey! We here in PA have you beat in fuel taxes, we are #1.

The thing with fuel filters, I believe, is that you may never have any meaningful amount of contaminants or you might get a heap on the very next fill. Personally, I have never seen enough junk to warrant a filter change, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

I started using an additive after getting low cetane fuel that had My 6.7 sounding like a 7.3.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:33 AM
sgrol
Posting Guru
sgrol is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sgrol is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I posted this question in another thread. Anyone know what the third connection is for on the underhood filter? There is in, out and ???

Old 09-18-2017, 09:39 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by sgrol View Post
I posted this question in another thread. Anyone know what the third connection is for on the underhood filter? There is in, out and ???
Return line to the tank?

Old 09-26-2017, 10:57 AM
PwerStroke99
Postmaster
PwerStroke99 has a very good reputation on FTE.PwerStroke99 has a very good reputation on FTE.PwerStroke99 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I think instead of him talking about how to disconnect and reconnect the fuel lines, he could have actually walked thru it step by step, removing and reconnecting.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:36 PM
cficare
Posting Guru
cficare has a good reputation on FTE.cficare has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by PwerStroke99 View Post
I think instead of him talking about how to disconnect and reconnect the fuel lines, he could have actually walked thru it step by step, removing and reconnecting.
True that, but then he would need to figure out how to hold the camera (phone in this case) with his third hand. My (minor) gripe is why do so many people shoot photos/video in portrait versus landscape? Do televisions, movie screens, desktops & laptops have their screens oriented portrait?

Old 09-26-2017, 08:10 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by cficare View Post
...1) Is that really standard practice?
2) If yes, how does the air escape from the fuel system ... Shrader valve in the fuel rail?

1) Yes, and it's been standard practice for years with vehicles that use an electric fuel pump.

2) It's a closed fuel system. Air is purged back into the tank via the return line where it bubbles to the top to mix with the other air. The idea is to get most of the air out so your injectors don't see air. I don't think they've had a schrader valve on the fuel system since 97.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:16 AM
605ma
New User
605ma is starting off with a positive reputation.
on my pervious 6.7 power stroke, the Plastic fuel filter that sits on the "top-side" had 2 inlets and outlets, on my 2017 F250 the plastic in line has 3 inlet/outlet, 2 look identical to the pervious and a third is thinner/ smaller? my question I guess is what purpose does it serve? why make the change? just trying to understand how it works.
thank you,

Old 01-24-2018, 09:19 AM
jav_eee
Senior User
jav_eee is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jav_eee is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 605ma
on my pervious 6.7 power stroke, the Plastic fuel filter that sits on the "top-side" had 2 inlets and outlets, on my 2017 F250 the plastic in line has 3 inlet/outlet, 2 look identical to the pervious and a third is thinner/ smaller? my question I guess is what purpose does it serve? why make the change? just trying to understand how it works.
thank you,
I've seen that new vehicle engine-side filters have 3 ports, replacement, even motorcraft OEM have only 2.

This was for 2016 and before, probably still holds true for the 2017.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: