Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

7.3 idi starts then dies

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 07:38 PM
93IDITURBOPOWER
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 idi starts then dies

Hello everyone, This is my first post in this forum. I'm usually able to fix my truck by reading everyone's threads and figuring out the problem, but this time I'm not sure what to do. So here's what's going on, driving home from school, fuel filter light comes on truck starts surging and dies couples secs after. It was a SOB to get home. So next day I replaced the lift pump, fuel filter and try to start the truck. It's a pain in the *** at first but finally starts. It runs good for about a minute then does the same thing then dies.(fuel filter light doesn't come on though) It sounds like air in the system?? I've replaced my return lines already. I start the truck again and go out and press the schrader valve, I don't have a compression kit but fuel was coming out pretty good, then all of the sudden it goes dry... Nothing comes out. The 10 secs later the trucks dies. L. So that's why I lean towords air in the system. Any ideas???
Thanks guys, Jake.
Also, I took my fuel filter off after, and it was full. Could also the head to my fuel filter be bad?

Old 09-28-2016, 06:04 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,217 Likes on 2,238 Posts
welcome to FTE.

5 bucks says you are out of fuel. these trucks are known to crack the fuel pickup between 1/4 and 1/2 tank mark. so if your gauge is reading 1/4 tank, it is probably sucking air. try putting at least 5 gallons of fuel in it and trying again.
ps: it helps to remove the fuel filter and fill it with diesel or automatic trans fluid before trying to start a "dry" engine,
only turn engine over for around 30 seconds, then let starter cool off for at least 2 minutes before cranking it again, otherwise you will overheat the starter and be replacing it soon.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:18 AM
93IDITURBOPOWER
New User
Wouldn't that be the shower head breaking off?? But I'm also at a full tank, I filled it up right before it died the very first time

Old 09-28-2016, 05:38 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,217 Likes on 2,238 Posts
mine has a crack in the pick on both tanks just below 1/2. 25-30 miles after the gauge hits 1/2 tank, it runs out of fuel.
so i just make sure it stays over 1/2 tank.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:03 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Maby the shower head got plugged with crud(or some line between there and the transfer pump)?
You can try taking a bucket or gas can, filling it with diesel, and running a hose from the can to the input side of the transfer pump(low pressure, the one behind the vacuum pump). It should run just fine on that; if it does you'll want to be looking at the lines to the tank, and the tank itself.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:04 PM
4runnerpat
New User
Originally Posted by 93IDITURBOPOWER
Hello everyone, This is my first post in this forum. I'm usually able to fix my truck by reading everyone's threads and figuring out the problem, but this time I'm not sure what to do. So here's what's going on, driving home from school, fuel filter light comes on truck starts surging and dies couples secs after. It was a SOB to get home. So next day I replaced the lift pump, fuel filter and try to start the truck. It's a pain in the *** at first but finally starts. It runs good for about a minute then does the same thing then dies.(fuel filter light doesn't come on though) It sounds like air in the system?? I've replaced my return lines already. I start the truck again and go out and press the schrader valve, I don't have a compression kit but fuel was coming out pretty good, then all of the sudden it goes dry... Nothing comes out. The 10 secs later the trucks dies. L. So that's why I lean towords air in the system. Any ideas???
Thanks guys, Jake.
Also, I took my fuel filter off after, and it was full. Could also the head to my fuel filter be bad?

Hi, I just want to know if you were able to figure this out? i have the same problem...i even had my injection pump rebuild and i also ended up having my motor replaced and still it has the same problem. I have the Banks Turbo on mine as well..and i saw you're not too far from me.
any input is highly appreciated! and I have both my fuel tanks FULL of diesel..
thanks

Old 11-03-2016, 07:47 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Until you have fuel(and only fuel) coming out of the filter head, the truck simply will not work.
You've probably got one of:
1. Leaky pickup
2. Hole in the steel line going into the tank
3. Dislodged/broken plastic line where it connects to the tank
4. Hole or break in the line going to the switchover valve
5. Broken switchover valve
6. Hole in the line from there to the metal crossover on the frame rail
7. Hole/leak in the metal line going towards the transfer pump
8. Hole/leak/crack in the rubber hose from there to the transfer pump
9. Broken transfer pump.

It could be any of those or a combination of multiple.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:54 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you have a obstruction in the fuel system before the filter head, the ip is not able to get fuel and pulls a vacuum on the filter head and the fuel filter lite comes on. could be at or near the tank switch..