2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Why dealers lie to you

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 02:24 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Why dealers lie to you

Sorry if this isn't best place for the topic... so... to make it fit the forum, the new 2017 SD truck is awesome!

Okay, I gotta do a quick vent, and I hope it might help some of us all get along more. As many of you know I sell commercial and retail accounts at a top secret Ford dealership. I come on this forum because I learn quite a bit about my customers from you. Generally I think most of the folks doing research on the forums are far more educated than the avg truck shopper. You guys are probably an avg in the top 10%. So today is the last day we know of 0% for many Ford models. I've had at least two customers (one returning and one I've been working with for 6 months) both tell me they were planning on going with dealership X because they were less money. Both of these customers I had spelled out the 0% offering and that they were saving around $6k to take 0% vs $3750 in rebates with Ford. Yet thanks to the horrible internet shopping guides they both were convinced I was thousands off their best deal! For petes sake, I make no money for offering 0%, at least I can make some kickback from banks with standard rates. I'm 100% trying to get them the smartest deal, and risk losing their business by not just cramming price at them. This is why dealerships lie, and don't offer the best deals up front. My folks are guys I've been able to build a relationship with so I think I have em both saved and I'll get the sales. But I know I lose business being too upfront. I had a guy today insisting on out the door pricing including his trade, which is a 12 year old 6.0 I've never seen. No way can I give you an honest price. How much would you buy a 12 year old 6.0 sight unseen for? Really folks, be friends with your local dealer and everyone will have a better experience! Find a good sales person, we really just want to keep you happy and make a small but reasonable profit. Plenty of bad fish in the sea, but it's wroth so much to find a good one.

Customers assume we all lie, so we have to lie the most to earn your business, since you assume we all lie the same. It's not good for consumers or dealerships.

Sorry, rant over, 2017 SD trucks are awesome!

Old 09-06-2016, 02:48 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
One of the dealers I have bought several cars thru because he does not lie and he gives his best deal up front...I buy below invoice, no fuss, muss, no haggle. I walk in, if he has the car I want or I order, I am in and out in less than 1 hr...

I H A T E the BS and the dragging out the deal for 4 to as long as 8 hrs, nor do I want to REDO the deal with the finance guy. With him telling me "you were quoted wrong, we can't sell a car this cheap" then he launches in and I have to deal with him.

I have been buying new cars since the 70's, I almost always trade before the warrant runs out and in all these years only 2 dealers have got me to buy a second car from them...oh I have gone back, but it has never resulted in a sale the second time around.

And if i thought you were not being honest, you just lost a sale, I have looked them the eye as I tore up the paperwork and walk out the door.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:23 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Frantz
Customers assume we all lie, so we have to lie the most to earn your business, since you assume we all lie the same. It's not good for consumers or dealerships.

Sorry, rant over, 2017 SD trucks are awesome!
Franz, I think you are awesome too.

And remember, customers lie, but I am sure you know that too. You have consistently been a beacon of honesty and straightforward information and it really sucks that your customers would sell you out for a big mouth used car salesman stuck in a showroom situation.

So remember, we here are all behind you and please, never take up the tactics of the "Huge" tent sale fanatics just for the sake of the sale. I know there are many out there like you, but many more like the other side and it is the ones like you who make the customer experience tolerable, even enjoyable for those who see through the BS.

Thanks for venting here, we all need it sometimes.
Rob

Old 09-06-2016, 03:26 PM
bowler304
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My biggest pet peeve is don't lie to me as I know more then most and hate when you lie to me. I also hate a sales person that doesn't know their own product. This weekend I went and test drove all of the big 3 to make sure that this truck I ordered will be the one I want for the next 10 years.

The Ford drove the best, best throttle response, my favorite gadgets, etc.. I love the ford and need to drive the 6.2 I ordered.

Now here I lucked out the guy was new to sales and he didn't know the product but was just as excited as I was about driving the truck. He didn't have his picked out route yet, so got to have some fun. I told him up front I was just doing research and it wouldn't result in a deal. Overall had an OK experience with the sales guy and gave him some expectation from most buyers. I hope he listens, but who knows. I did get a bit irritated when the sales manager came buy took up the paper with info on it, some I had written and said, "Sorry that is our personal information and we can't let you out of here with it!" I would not do a deal with this dealership because of that sales manager.

The dodge was surprisingly well done, it felt a bit cheap but the truck could be had for nearly 7K cheaper then the ford. Power was good, didn't like the smallish NAV screen, but had plenty of technology.

Sales person was a woman, a rather beautiful Columbia woman but glad she was pretty because she knew little to nothing about the trucks. I spent most of the time trying to figure it out for myself. Did I mention she was pretty? She also told me she sold 8-10 vehicles a month, that surprised the heck out of me.

The GMC was the most disappointing, the truck interior was the worse of the 3, but the salesman was awesome. He was a sales man for over 13 years and left the oil industry to do it. He spent an hour going over the details of the truck, and if it were something I wanted I would of bought from him. He gave me what I thought was a fair price, but he didn't take my name or number or have me fill out stuff. Best overall experience, just a horrible truck.

As always thanks for your help and honesty, you are appreciated and a great help on this site.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:11 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I start at invoice for normal stuff with perfect strangers. I call my customers when I have something old I need to unload extra cheap to give em first bid.

Here is the problem: the 10% of you here will rip up the paperwork and storm out, and you'll be right. The 90% will just sign the dotted line and leave and the sleazy guy will get your money and I'll be without the sale. I did switch to commercial sales because I can write my own deals and there is better owner loyalty. I know in 10 years I'll be well off. But at this point in life, it's a PIA to carve out a living being honest because the deals I do get aren't as rich. There are always suckers willing to pay too much, so I get the business strategy of just being sleazy, though I'd just as soon go to full time farming.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:47 PM
dlauffenburger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are always suckers willing to pay too much, so I get the business strategy of just being sleazy, though I'd just as soon go to full time farming.
LOL.. I retired from the Navy and went back to farming and while the stress is significantly lower there are days I wish I was still in the Navy.

I concur with the other posts, your straight forward responses and honesty is refreshing. I have learned a lot by reading your posts.

Unfortunately you are the exception not the norm in the car sales industry, I have purchased vehicles in HI, SC, NJ, TX, PA, and CA and every dealer has there share a **** heads. I normally ask the salesman a couple of questions (that I already know the answer too) and if he doesn't know what the hell he is selling I tell him to find me someone knowledgeable. If I get the song and dance I leave. I have been to the local dealer twice to discuss a new F250, the first visit I was greeted by a young woman and I told her I was looking for F250 to tow a 14K GVW Livestock trailer, she proceeded to tell me that I didn't need a F250 I should be looking at F150 Ecoboosts and she had just the one I needed, I told her I wanted to talk to the Truck expert and she told me they are all experts. The second time I stopped in I talked to a young kid, I told him I was looking for a F250 6.2L with 4.30 gears and he said "ya we have a couple of them down the road at our satellite storage lot, go on down and see if you like one, then come on back and i'll start the paperwork" well there wasn't a gas truck on the lot. I went back to the showroom and told him there wasn't any gas trucks on the lot and he just sat there with a dumb-*** confused look on his face, I asked to talk the truck sales expert and he proceeded to tell me "I know about trucks, I drive a F150. So I am off to find a reputable dealer.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to give a couple of examples. You know your trucks and provide valuable insight, Ford should clone you and drop on at every dealer.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:47 PM
Rasty1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I start at invoice for normal stuff with perfect strangers. I call my customers when I have something old I need to unload extra cheap to give em first bid.

Here is the problem: the 10% of you here will rip up the paperwork and storm out, and you'll be right. The 90% will just sign the dotted line and leave and the sleazy guy will get your money and I'll be without the sale. I did switch to commercial sales because I can write my own deals and there is better owner loyalty. I know in 10 years I'll be well off. But at this point in life, it's a PIA to carve out a living being honest because the deals I do get aren't as rich. There are always suckers willing to pay too much, so I get the business strategy of just being sleazy, though I'd just as soon go to full time farming.
Well guy at least you are telling it the way it is. Also if you are an "educated buyer" before you go in the dealership you will get a good deal. And I never deal with floor sales folks.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:23 PM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
"Find a good salesperson" Is this possible? Anytime I go into a dealership it seems that I get the worst salesperson possible and cant get rid of him... Without being a total jerk. How does one find this good saleperson from amongst the others? Do I get the girl at the front reception desk to confide in me?

Old 09-06-2016, 07:16 PM
mccmann
New User
Greedy Management

Greedy management killed the deal for the salesman that I spent a couple of trips with, several hours with, and worked up pricing, and options, only to have management give me nowhere the discount that was discussed, and seemed to really want to sell me a 2016 instead of ordering the 2017 F350 that I wanted. Management said that $1500 off list was all they could do, and they knew I was ready to order, but we had discussed $5000 off, so I walked. About a week later, I called another dealer, and gave him the list of options, and he offered about $5000 off list price, and he placed the order. Hours later, my original dealer called and said that management offered me about $5300 off, and would I cancel my order, and place it with them. I told him that my word was good, and wouldn't do that, but I told him to tell management that the deal was originally theirs, but they blew it for him by being greedy. They were holding out for an extra $3500 or so, but ended up with nothing, and missed selling to me by only hours!

It was a very simple deal too. No trade in, just a straight purchase.
If they had been honest, and given me their best price to begin with, the deal was theirs.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:03 PM
Tomc750
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
My problem is not that the dealer is lying to me, they flat dropped the ball on communication. I asked a question via email about an F650 spec and never got a response. Previously the salesperson had volunteered to ask a question of the body builder (I already knew the answer, but I thought OK, we'll see what he comes back with.) No response there either. I asked Frantz the question about the 650 spec and he replied in short order. The salesman did send me a 650 brochure but took his sweet time doing it. Don't know if I want to stick with this dealer or find another.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:19 PM
Azuretruck
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
For me the big complain is also lack of communication. It takes me 5 emails asking about the same 2 things and if I get lucky I get a half reply on 1 and then it makes me look like I'm bugging them.

I originally placed an order in April as I was told they are the "biggest superduty dealer" in the area. Guess how many allocations for dealer stock they got - 0. Then I was promised a trade for past 2 months which at the last minute disappeared - trading dealer refused - I was told someone sold it but it's still listed online and every time I inquire about it the trading dealer says its available. It's available until I say I'm in the Dallas area and then automatically it's sold

Not sure what kind of game this is. It's almost like I want to buy it more than they want to sell and by selling they are doing me a huge favor.

Anyway found another truck and will take delivery shortly.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:47 PM
DDT11
Mountain Pass
OK, here's my story. Two years ago, my wife and I decided to get a 5th wheel. I wanted to get an F150 (wife later told me to get a bigger truck, which is why I'm here) and this was when the aluminum bodies were just coming out. My son and I go to the Moscone Center auto show every Thanksgiving and Ford was giving away $50 gift cards for you to go to a dealer and do a test drive. My son and I both signed up and made an appointment on New Year's day for me to drive the F150 and him to drive a Focus ST, which he was interested in after he graduates from college. The salesman greeted my son and he told him that we were there to drive the vehicles and that we had $50 coupons from the show. You could tell the demeanor of the salesman changed and he sent us to look at the 1 F150 platinum one the lot that I wanted to drive. Ten minutes later, the lot boy came out and told us they did not have time to give us drives and to give him our certificates and they would sign them off so that we could get paid. I told them we were in fact interested in the vehicles and wanted to drive them as we handed over the certificates. He came back in about five minutes and gave us the signed certificates and bade us good day. As I drove off, I could see the entire staff watching football on the lobby TV. Also, I certainly did not appear indigent as I was driving my two year old BMW 535. To say that I was offended, was an understatement. So the day was not a total waste we drove a Dodge and Chevy. The Ram was interesting the Chevy, not. If I was not a Ford fan boy, I would have really been interested in the Dodge.

As an epilogue, I emailed the CEO of Ford and described how Ford had paid me $100 for my son and I to test their competitors. In about three weeks I had the regional Director of sales who offered me and X-Plan and the GM of the dealership offering to drive any vehicle to my house for a test drive.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:58 AM
Jace2016
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By all means vent!!

-Customers are just as much a PIA as the salesmen! Know your customer. You can tell in 5 minutes of talking who you are dealing with in most scenarios.

-Know the product you are selling! Shouldn't have to state the obvious but I can guarantee you everyone reading this post has dealt with some jacka$$ sales person that doesn't know a thing about what he/she is trying to sell. Consumers are smart and in most cases well informed on their intended purchase before ever hitting the dealership.

-Lie to me and I'm out! Would rather pay more to an honest guy than save thousands doing business with a liar. I will not deal with a person who I know is lieing to me plain & simple regardless of the deal.

-You have a hard job. On 1 hand you are rewarded for making the most of a sale but on the other may not make the sale if the customer doesn't think they are getting a good deal. In the end it's more about respect and professionalism than saving me 5 bucks over the next guy!

Old 09-07-2016, 05:01 AM
scagwildcat
Junior User
i had a few bad experiences,my wife wanted a new car,we went to the dealer,a lady greeted us,we told her what we wanted,my wife and i test drove a v8 jeep fully loaded, we came back and the lady drilled me with questions,why do you want a v8? why does your wife want this option? so i told her that we own a business and would like to be able to tow incase i need too,also we have a ski boat and my wife only drives a few miles to.work so fuel economy is not a concern to me..we talked numbers for about two hrs.. she kept going tonthe manager's desk and coming back.. finally i told her,look my wife and i really like this jeep,we are prepared to pay xx amount today and drive it home.. can we make the deal or what? my offer was only a few thousand dollars from the sticker price.. she went to ask.. came back 30min later! said why dont you and your wife look at used ones on your way out! we did leave,drove down the street to the ford dealer,and within one hr bought a new vehicle.the dealer called us back,the sales lady was fired the next day as a friend works there and told me. in april when i ordered my 2017 f350 i went to the same ford dealer as we bought 3 vehicles from them.one under a year ago! we went back and forth for weeks.. the salesman was great!the manager not so much hes was a new young guy, and didnt want to deal at all! we settled on a price,and a pruce in my trade also.. well the day came to drop off $$$, the new guy says i know we promised you 10k trade,but i can only give you 4k.. the sales mans face turned white. he was mad. i said no deal. again went to another dealer. deal was done! now my truck is built and ready to ship...the first sales man that i bought 3 vehicles from called me,texted me and weve become friends. he really felt bad.. since then they email me weekly saying that even though i bought from someone else they would like to service my vehicles...um nope!..

Old 09-07-2016, 06:07 AM
archerseven
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Azuretruck
For me the big complain is also lack of communication. It takes me 5 emails asking about the same 2 things and if I get lucky I get a half reply on 1 and then it makes me look like I'm bugging them.
[...]
Not sure what kind of game this is. It's almost like I want to buy it more than they want to sell and by selling they are doing me a huge favor.
This has been my one complaint with my dealer. It really isn't hard to answer emails! I end up driving down there much more than I think they'd like, but hey.

Okay, I gotta do a quick vent, and I hope it might help some of us all get along more. As many of you know I sell commercial and retail accounts at a top secret Ford dealership. I come on this forum because I learn quite a bit about my customers from you. Generally I think most of the folks doing research on the forums are far more educated than the avg truck shopper. You guys are probably an avg in the top 10%. So today is the last day we know of 0% for many Ford models. I've had at least two customers (one returning and one I've been working with for 6 months) both tell me they were planning on going with dealership X because they were less money. Both of these customers I had spelled out the 0% offering and that they were saving around $6k to take 0% vs $3750 in rebates with Ford. Yet thanks to the horrible internet shopping guides they both were convinced I was thousands off their best deal! For petes sake, I make no money for offering 0%, at least I can make some kickback from banks with standard rates. I'm 100% trying to get them the smartest deal, and risk losing their business by not just cramming price at them. This is why dealerships lie, and don't offer the best deals up front. My folks are guys I've been able to build a relationship with so I think I have em both saved and I'll get the sales. But I know I lose business being too upfront. I had a guy today insisting on out the door pricing including his trade, which is a 12 year old 6.0 I've never seen. No way can I give you an honest price. How much would you buy a 12 year old 6.0 sight unseen for? Really folks, be friends with your local dealer and everyone will have a better experience! Find a good sales person, we really just want to keep you happy and make a small but reasonable profit. Plenty of bad fish in the sea, but it's wroth so much to find a good one.

Thanks for sharing, that gives real insight.

The dealer (salesperson?) I'm working with is one I'm working with exclusively because he was the only one I found in town who admitted he didn't know things! When I was originally shopping, I would ask a series of questions, some I knew the answer to (does locking the front hubs mean both front wheels will always travel at the same speed? (0 dealers knew the answer. None. Only 2 admitted they didn't know.)) Some I didn't (would Green Gem be available?).

It even took me two tries at the dealership I'm at... the rookie I got the first time gave me (wrong) answers when he didn't know. One of the Chevy dealerships actually asked if I was a secret shopper. The guy I'm buying mine through was the first to say he didn't know things but he'd find out... and he got real answers, hell he was the only one to figure out when the 2017s would be on sale (the only one who matched the rumors online that ended up being right.) That said, he's bad at responding to emails, and the best answer I can get as to why my truck was held and still isn't here after an 8/8 ETA is something like "There was a hold, to be released on the 25th of September." Still, hasn't lied to me yet.

They've also had a management change since I ordered, and my sales guy is clearly not thrilled with some of what he's hearing out of that.

It is a breath of fresh air that you and my salesperson exist. I have helped many friends/family car shop and very, very few have been knowledgeable, upfront, and honest. You've also been one of the best sources of information for us on this forum in the time I've been visiting. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Why dealers lie to you