2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Why dealers lie to you

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 11:00 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Of course! That's the lying I'm talking about in post 1! Why? Because the truth is we can all sell them for the same amount. Used cars and trades have a cash value. The best deal is when you're ready to buy, otherwise we are just wasting our time and your own. If I tell you, here's a great deal, just drive 20 minutes down the road and you can save $100! many folks would just drive down the road! It's never really the best. The real job of a salesperson is the close the deal. And the truth we all know is that the deal is the same every day (rebates aside). But the customer doesn't believe that, so we have to say it's actually today!

Old 09-16-2016, 11:27 AM
SESWIM
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Crazy to hear all these horror stories. I guess I have had great luck. Found one I liked. Informed the dealer of my trade. Drove to dealer. Truck was still in detail. Did the paper work. Took about 20 Minutes. Paid MSRP minus the rebate. 1K. They gave me what we agreed on my trade. Detailing took a bit. All in all I was in and out in about 45 minutes. Nothing wrong with finding the "best" deal around. Just seems to take more time and energy than it's worth to me.

Sam

Old 09-16-2016, 11:51 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SESWIM
Crazy to hear all these horror stories. I guess I have had great luck. Found one I liked. Informed the dealer of my trade. Drove to dealer. Truck was still in detail. Did the paper work. Took about 20 Minutes. Paid MSRP minus the rebate. 1K. They gave me what we agreed on my trade. Detailing took a bit. All in all I was in and out in about 45 minutes. Nothing wrong with finding the "best" deal around. Just seems to take more time and energy than it's worth to me.

Sam
Plenty of folks prefer to see the money on their trade than money off their truck. its the folks that think they can take the great trade number from one place and the great price from another and combine them. That's where the unreasonable headaches come from.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:00 PM
ravill
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't want to deal with my trade with the uppityness of my dealer.

I just sold my truck and I'll just use the cash I WANT instead of another potential "boiling" point with my dealer.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:21 PM
BigStu59
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ravill
I didn't want to deal with my trade with the uppityness of my dealer.

I just sold my truck and I'll just use the cash I WANT instead of another potential "boiling" point with my dealer.
Agreed just give me a price and its all good. I'll sell my current truck to a family member take the money use it towards the down payment.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:48 PM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
As crooked as many sales men are they usually aren't as bad as the so called sales manager!
Worse than the jerk sales manager is the fat guy sweating and stinky in his 100 dollar suit called a business guy.
And no i don't want to meet any other idiot here and have him try to shake my hand.
I deal with the sales person only.
And play games like dragging out the time i am there or running down to the supposed sales manager over and over to discuss the deal when you get back i will not be found because i left.
I won't even go onside.
Make them stand out in the parking lot and not trapped in some crap office.
Rain or shine stay out on the lot and far from the building.
Now they deal fast and wiser.
You sales person come in wayyyy high.
I offer wayyy low.
If we meet in the moddle be back with my paperwork in 5 mins and lets do this.
I'm not buying a huge business or buying a town.
It is just a car or pickup.
Waste my time and i am gone i have stuff to do.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:52 PM
BigStu59
Senior User
Originally Posted by sky Cowboy
As crooked as many sales men are they usually aren't as bad as the so called sales manager!
Worse than the jerk sales manager is the fat guy sweating and stinky in his 100 dollar suit called a business guy.
And no i don't want to meet any other idiot here and have him try to shake my hand.
I deal with the sales person only.
And play games like dragging out the time i am there or running down to the supposed sales manager over and over to discuss the deal when you get back i will not be found because i left.
I won't even go onside.
Make them stand out in the parking lot and not trapped in some crap office.
Rain or shine stay out on the lot and far from the building.
Now they deal fast and wiser.
You sales person come in wayyyy high.
I offer wayyy low.
If we meet in the moddle be back with my paperwork in 5 mins and lets do this.
I'm not buying a huge business or buying a town.
It is just a car or pickup.
Waste my time and i am gone i have stuff to do.
Good Doggy

Old 09-17-2016, 09:05 AM
Skipdaddie
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The last 4 Fords I bought (2012 F350, 2013 F350, 2013 SHO, 2017 F350 on order) were all done via email from the same salesman 100 miles away. I get Z plan so the only negotiations are on my trades. On each occasion he offers me a fair trade off the bat sight unseen, I ask for more and then we settle on the 3rd round. I've always get one other local quote on my trade so I have something to compare to. His price has been the most favorable each time. He has the vehicles delivered and I have my trade detailed the day before they pick it up, so that I can continue getting good sight unseen trade in pricing.

This dealership is in farm country so they move a lot of Super Dutys and therefore they are happy to get a clean low mile F350 on trade.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:14 AM
Black1
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bowler304
My biggest pet peeve is don't lie to me as I know more then most and hate when you lie to me. I also hate a sales person that doesn't know their own product.
I can't stand this.

I used to buy all my vehicles from one guy. He knew his products inside and out, but always acted like he didn't. There is an art to that and he had it down cold. He was a pro. He kept all his records. If I needed a copy of the sales agreement on my '04 he still had it in his files. He always treated my wife with respect and she adored him.

Unfortunately he passed away. He was a real character. He's been gone a couple years and I still haven't had the heart to delete his cell number from my phone.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:38 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We live and usually deal with the largest volume ford dealer in North America, so they say. and I never see the same sales people in there longer than 6 months. The one I am dealing with now has only been there 6 months.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:55 PM
Rasty1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In this day and age, its easy to make your deals with the internet manager through emails, cuts out the BS.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:01 PM
Blk04Snake
Senior User
If any of you read my original story a page or 2 back, dealer 1 was supposed to order a truck for me but said they didn't have allocation, etc, etc. They gave me an offer for my trade that they said they would honor when they did order the truck and it arrived (they said October or November and that no Super Duties were going to be built until at least September). Once they said that I knew they had no clue what they were doing, or were flat out lying.

Dealer 2 I ordered truck, had confirmation in my hand when I left dealer, overall made out $500 better on my trade, Ford had it in their system by the following Tuesday and I got my VIN last Thursday and build week of October 10th.

Dealer 1 salesman text me this morning and said this: "Just to let you know the truck we ordered for you is on our lot if you would like to see what one looks like in person."

They had had pictures of said truck up on Facebook on Friday. The only things the same compared to what I wanted to order is that it was a 2017 Super Duty, it was black, and it was a 6.7. Otherwise not at all what I gave build sheet for. I wanted F350, this is a 250, I wanted Lariat Ultimate and LED headlights, this is an XLT, etc. etc.

What I truely think the sleazy scumbags did when I was there with my build sheet is looked and saw they had one ordered that was "similar" and instead of doing the legwork and ordering what I wanted they figured they could bait and switch and stuff me into this one that is nothing like what I want.

I talked to my sales guy (dealer 2) on Friday and when he gave me the build week also we discussed putting snow plow in the truck at delivery which will give me an additional $1000 rebate on top of the $1000 rebate already running on the trucks since I own a business. Woohoo!

Old 03-16-2020, 02:41 PM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
My issue with salesmen is I just don't have any respect left for them. I've been lied to, cheated, swindled, what have you, too many times. Or at least they've tried. My belief has come to this: what do salesmen do to earn my money? Do they build anything? Do they repair anything? They don't actually approve of the numbers. What purpose do they serve? They seem to me to be simply added bureaucracy taking up space. I wish ford would simply set a price and we bought directly from them. Like going to any other kind of store. A can of soup is $.88. No dickering. No hidden fees. I choose what I want and pay the price to the checkout person. Why the need for the dealership as a middleman, artificially inflating prices?

Old 03-16-2020, 03:03 PM
ForCal
Postmaster
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by stephen.osborne1
My issue with salesmen is I just don't have any respect left for them. I've been lied to, cheated, swindled, what have you, too many times. Or at least they've tried. My belief has come to this: what do salesmen do to earn my money? Do they build anything? Do they repair anything? They don't actually approve of the numbers. What purpose do they serve? They seem to me to be simply added bureaucracy taking up space. I wish ford would simply set a price and we bought directly from them. Like going to any other kind of store. A can of soup is $.88. No dickering. No hidden fees. I choose what I want and pay the price to the checkout person. Why the need for the dealership as a middleman, artificially inflating prices?
I always wonder how these old (2016) threads get dug up. Anyway, that $.88 can of soup could sell for $.79 or $1.29 for example, depending on where you go. Thats true of just about every product we buy. Should a vehicle purchase be any different? I dont know. Dealerships, just like any other business, are in it to make a profit. There are some that are "no haggle" for those buyers that prefer that. Many of them are not offering the best prices, but if thats not the most important thing, than it might be worth paying a little more.

I feel the best thing to do going in, is to know exactly what you want, and what its worth. Understand that the job of a salesman is to sell you on stuff, and hopefully make the boss some money. It can be frustrating while they do their thing, but eventually they will figure out what you want, and what you don't, and then you can move forward or bail.

The manufacturer sets the MSRP, its not an artificially inflated price set by a dealer.

Old 03-16-2020, 03:40 PM
Boilermaker374
More Turbo
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ForCal
I

The manufacturer sets the MSRP, its not an artificially inflated price set by a dealer.

You are correct.... but the MSRP is an artificially inflated price set by the manufacturer IMO.

Quick Reply: Why dealers lie to you