2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Why dealers lie to you

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 04:01 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,441 Likes on 1,805 Posts
Originally Posted by ForCal
I always wonder how these old (2016) threads get dug up.
I can offer one of several reasons why, summed up in a single word:

SEARCH

The most powerful and yet often under used and yet just as often overly relied upon tool of the internet.

SEARCH was one of the tools that brought me to join FTE. When I searched a topic related to Ford trucks, more often than not, FTE appeared on the first page results, with photos no less.

SEARCH attracts new folks to FTE, and these folks, having found their answer here, join as members and go on to create answers from their own experiences, which are picked up by SEARCH, attracting yet others to FTE.

There is nothing wrong with resurrecting an older thread. Especially on a perennial topic that is just as relevant today as it was in 2016, and as it was in 2006, and as it was in 1996, when the broad use of the web as we know it today was in it's infancy.

Let us not criticize the resurrection of older threads. We should instead appreciate their revival, and the refreshed point of view of the newer member who found relevancy and resonance in them.

Silence is the better remedy, if we cannot refrain from being unwelcoming based solely on the happenstance of a post date.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:21 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,479 Likes on 962 Posts
When i first joined here in 99, and pirate in 2002, Ford-diesel dot com in 1999 it was encouraged to search and frowned upon to start a new topic that had already been covered without searching first. I continue to conduct myself this way.

Dealers have to be there for warranty and customer service. Its hard to break a tradition, like haggling etc.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:35 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Drive in, get out and walk to the lot of cars and sooner or later a fender lizard will come out. He will ask if you want buy a car?

Yes, that is why I am here to buy this new Zoomer with the BelchFire V8 and lifetime muffler bearings.

Great. will I am here to help you!

Ok, great, here is my deal. Invoice minus any incentives.

At this point in time the answer is YES or NO, there are no options and your total investment is less than 15 min as you head out to the next dealer.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:36 PM
ForCal
Postmaster
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Silence is the better remedy, if we cannot refrain from being unwelcoming based solely on the happenstance of a post date.
Ive re-read my post you quoted, several times, and in no way do I see it as being unwelcoming. In fact, I had no clue if that was a new user or senior member.

I almost entirely use this site from my mobile device. Out of all the forums Ive been a part of, I have the hardest time using the search on this forum, to find even recent threads and posts. So I am truly surprised when threads like this, that were last posted in over 3 years ago, pop up. If I was upset about it, I wouldn't have waisted my time writing a response at all.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:49 PM
ForCal
Postmaster
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
When i first joined here in 99, and pirate in 2002
Pirate lol, that site, unlike this site, allows members to **** down your throat if you dont search. Ask a dumb question, you better have some thick skin cause they will destroy you lol. Talk about unwelcoming.

None of that bothers me, they still have plenty of great info and plenty of members even though. This site, by far, has been the most sensitive out of any other forum ive been on. Thats ok too.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:51 PM
George C
Cargo Master
Received 504 Likes on 294 Posts
I’m 61. I feel sorry for the unexperienced, but we all live and learn.
My experience?
Find a dealership and a salesperson who doesn’t bull**** or lie. Stay loyal and develop that relationship. Successful relationships means both parties benefit.
I’ve bought countless new vehicles from my auto group, and my salesman is a good man who I respect, and I always bring the dealership some strip steaks to share. A little return respect goes a loooong way.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:04 PM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 305 Posts
So, invoice on my F250 was only $3K under list. So, not much of a discount on invoice pricing. A friend of mine just bought a 3500 diesel Chevy and got $10K off of list. How is this possible?

BTW, he also got full "blue book" on his 4 year old 3500 diesel trade . . . .

Old 03-16-2020, 05:08 PM
ForCal
Postmaster
Originally Posted by acadianbob
So, invoice on my F250 was only $3K under list. So, not much of a discount on invoice pricing. A friend of mine just bought a 3500 diesel Chevy and got $10K off of list. How is this possible?

I have to assume that $10k under MSRP included rebates, as well as dealer discount. I see them advertising GMC(or Chevy?) trucks at $12k off MSRP. Its a combination of discounts that make up that number.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:52 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,204 Likes on 578 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
I can offer one of several reasons why, summed up in a single word:

SEARCH

The most powerful and yet often under used and yet just as often overly relied upon tool of the internet.

SEARCH was one of the tools that brought me to join FTE. When I searched a topic related to Ford trucks, more often than not, FTE appeared on the first page results, with photos no less.

SEARCH attracts new folks to FTE, and these folks, having found their answer here, join as members and go on to create answers from their own experiences, which are picked up by SEARCH, attracting yet others to FTE.

There is nothing wrong with resurrecting an older thread. Especially on a perennial topic that is just as relevant today as it was in 2016, and as it was in 2006, and as it was in 1996, when the broad use of the web as we know it today was in it's infancy.

Let us not criticize the resurrection of older threads. We should instead appreciate their revival, and the refreshed point of view of the newer member who found relevancy and resonance in them.

I'm not 100% in agreement with this. Occasionally it's OK, but more often that not, necroposting clutters the board with issues that have long been resolved. I'd be willing to bet that if most folks realized they were posting in an old thread, they would stop before hitting submit. This is why many (if not most) other forums have a box you must tick on older threads acknowledging that you're aware you are responding to a thread that is over "X" amount of days/months/years old. I looked into this a long time ago and was told that FTE runs a hybrid version of vbullitin software that won't allow this feature. So unfortunately, we are stuck without it.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:02 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by acadianbob

Chevy, RAM, Ford. You made the call. Ford builds a better truck and they command a premo price, been that way for over 40 years...

Old 03-16-2020, 08:53 PM
tortue71
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
I'm not 100% in agreement with this. Occasionally it's OK, but more often that not, necroposting clutters the board with issues that have long been resolved. I'd be willing to bet that if most folks realized they were posting in an old thread, they would stop before hitting submit. This is why many (if not most) other forums have a box you must tick on older threads acknowledging that you're aware you are responding to a thread that is over "X" amount of days/months/years old. I looked into this a long time ago and was told that FTE runs a hybrid version of vbullitin software that won't allow this feature so unfortunately we are stuck without it.
Nobody talks about the pesky ''related thread'' that load without you even knowing it on mobile device ?

​​​​​​I have a feeling that might be a good reason that people post on old threads. Simply because they did not even realised it.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:04 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,204 Likes on 578 Posts
That's a good point. Much like the unneeded "related product" on Amazon product pages....

Old 03-16-2020, 09:10 PM
ForCal
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tortue71
Nobody talks about the pesky ''related thread'' that load without you even knowing it on mobile device ?

​​​​​​I have a feeling that might be a good reason that people post on old threads. Simply because they did not even realised it.
Haha, yep, its happened to me. Didn't even realize it was a completely different sub forum. Now I watch out for it.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:21 PM
Erik the Bike Man
Cross-Country
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Should the thread be re-titled "Why the forum search function lies to you"?

Old 03-17-2020, 01:28 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,479 Likes on 962 Posts
Ive always switched to desktop version when viewing/posting on all forums on my phone, simply
because ive never liked the mobile layout. What am i missing?

Quick Reply: Why dealers lie to you