Sponsored by:

Warn Locking Hub Issue

Old 09-05-2016, 07:57 PM
Mumbly Joe
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Warn Locking Hub Issue

Hey Guise!

So, I'm absolutely LOVING my '00 LTD V10 which I've had for only a few months. (I stopped caring about gas mileage- It's worth it!!!!)

One little issue:

Mine has Warn locking hubs, and the one on the driver's side works as it should (You turn it about an 8th of a turn, and it locks in/out).

The one on the passenger side, you can spin it around about 3/4's of the way before it stops. Not sure if it's locking in or not.

I'm gonna be poking around in the near future, to take a look at the brakes, and inspect the hub bearing (of which I think I may need a new one) before the cold weather, so can anyone tell me what to look for in the Warn hub? Are the parts replaceable?

Any info appreciated!

Old 09-05-2016, 08:05 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Turn the hub to the free position.

Now reach behind the tire and rotated the axle shaft at the ujoint. Should be firm but rotate.

Turn the hub to lock.

the axle should not rotate if your hub is locked.

If your axle rotates when the hub is locked my guess somebody put it together wrong.. Reassemble correctly. If it's broken the cast aluminum slug will fall out in pieces. Replace the hub.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Mumbly Joe
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Turn the hub to the free position.

Now reach behind the tire and rotated the axle shaft at the ujoint. Should be firm but rotate.

Turn the hub to lock.

the axle should not rotate if your hub is locked.

If your axle rotates when the hub is locked my guess somebody put it together wrong.. Reassemble correctly. If it's broken the cast aluminum slug will fall out in pieces. Replace the hub.
Thanks! That's simple enough. I've only had a 4x4 hub apart once before...last year, when I did ball joints on my F250. (And that has the stock locking hubs, not the Warn- not sure how they differ)

Old 09-05-2016, 09:04 PM
Lexx
Freshman User
My oem hubs are frozen but still work with the vaccumm operation. I'm gonna try to pull em both out and rebuild them myself. Otherwise, I am looking at $82 to $150 Mile Marker hubs which I am sure some one will say are cheap junk but wth, its me, my ex and money and together we do what we want.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:24 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Lexx
My oem hubs are frozen but still work with the vaccumm operation. I'm gonna try to pull em both out and rebuild them myself. Otherwise, I am looking at $82 to $150 Mile Marker hubs which I am sure some one will say are cheap junk but wth, its me, my ex and money and together we do what we want.
Not me. I've been completely happy with my Mile Marker hubs. I'm an old school manual hub kind of guy though.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:41 PM
Vince79vette
Elder User
I have the mile maker hubs and love them. Did break 1 of the finger springs going up so shale rocks but still works fine.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:38 AM
MK_snipe
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may be completely wrong here because I am by no means an expert with Warn hubs but here I go anyways.

I installed Warn hubs on my Ex when I bought it. I like to think that I installed mine correctly and they are operating correctly but maybe I need to verify. I believe when I turn mine counterclockwise it sets them to the Free position. Now in order to put them into lock, I need an almost full rotation *EDIT* in the opposite direction (clockwise I believe).

I cannot take a pic right now but if you saw the markings on the hubs where the "Free" and "Lock" positions are, you would see that it takes about a full rotation to go between positions. And as far as assembly/reassembly goes, very easy install/removal. If you can do the stock ones then you can easily do these.

Last edited by MK_snipe; 09-06-2016 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Not enough info
Old 09-08-2016, 09:48 PM
radmacks
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One thing to check it there is a little spring washer that locks everything together. If that C style washer is out of the groove it will cause what your describing to happen. I have taken apart my warns and cleaned them and greased them a few times pretty easy to do

Old 09-09-2016, 02:00 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe
...the one on the driver's side works as it should (You turn it about an 8th of a turn, and it locks in/out).
That's not a properly working Warn hub.

The one on the passenger side, you can spin it around about 3/4's of the way before it stops. Not sure if it's locking in or not.
Originally Posted by MK_snipe
Now in order to put them into lock, I need an almost full rotation *EDIT* in the opposite direction (clockwise I believe).

...if you saw the markings on the hubs where the "Free" and "Lock" positions are, you would see that it takes about a full rotation to go between positions.
That's a properly working hub.

Stewart