Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck Manual Locking Hub

Old 07-10-2018, 09:26 PM
Markus Luukko
Senior User
Markus Luukko is starting off with a positive reputation.
Stuck Manual Locking Hub

My passenger side manual locking hub is stuck, tried re greasing it, didnít work. Tried putting the driver side one on that actually works on, doesnít work. Starting to think itís not the hub but something else? Any ideas?

Old 07-11-2018, 10:06 AM
CousinCarl
Senior User
CousinCarl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Is it turning to the unlock position and just not releasing the axle shaft? Sometimes, hitting the hub gently with a rubber mallet or simply knocking on it with your fist will convince it to release. The unreliability of the stock hubs causes many to go with mile markers or warns.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:59 AM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
With the locking hub off can you spin the axle?

I had an issue years ago where hub's my needle bearing grenaded and some of the pins jammed between the stub shaft and the hub "locking" axle.

Not saying you have that kind of extreme situation but seeing if you can spin the axle will tell you if the problem might not be with the locking hub.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:27 PM
Amicus
Senior User
Amicus is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The same happened to me. Had to replace, used Mile Marker. I would try Warn next time.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:24 PM
Markus Luukko
Senior User
Originally Posted by CousinCarl View Post
Is it turning to the unlock position and just not releasing the axle shaft? Sometimes, hitting the hub gently with a rubber mallet or simply knocking on it with your fist will convince it to release. The unreliability of the stock hubs causes many to go with mile markers or warns.
I tried hitting it and nothing.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:25 PM
Markus Luukko
Senior User
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
With the locking hub off can you spin the axle?

I had an issue years ago where hub's my needle bearing grenaded and some of the pins jammed between the stub shaft and the hub "locking" axle.

Not saying you have that kind of extreme situation but seeing if you can spin the axle will tell you if the problem might not be with the locking hub.
The u joint thatís visible from under the truck spins, if youíre talking about the actually stub axle I havenít checked yet

Old 07-11-2018, 04:02 PM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
The stub axle is connected to the innner axle at that u-joint. If the u-joint spins then the stub axle spins and is not bound inside the hub.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:07 PM
Markus Luukko
Senior User
The stub axle is connected to the innner axle at that u-joint. If the u-joint spins then the stub axle spins and is not bound inside the hub.
Okay thatís what I thought, Iím trying to understand how the hubs engage the axle, any idea on how they engage it?

Old 07-11-2018, 04:26 PM
brian42
Postmaster
The stub shaft has splines at the end and the shaft extends through the knuckle then the hub.

The outer end of the hub has a cavity with splines around it. The locking hub slides into this cavity. The locking hub has splines on the inner and outer portion that engage the splines on the shaft and hub respectively. When the locking hub is unlocked the inner and outer portions rotate independently and the wheel is not "locked" to the axle. When the locking hub is locked the portions are engaged (locked) together and the axle and wheel are "locked" together.

Once you understand that there are two hubs that makes it easier: The main wheel hub that bolts to the knuckle (that the wheel mounts to) and the locking hub that goes in the middle to lock the axle to the main hub (wheel).

These aren't my pictures but they show what I was describing:

Main (wheel) hub:

Locking hub:

Old 07-11-2018, 05:01 PM
Markus Luukko
Senior User
The stub shaft has splines at the end and the shaft extends through the knuckle then the hub.

The outer end of the hub has a cavity with splines around it. The locking hub slides into this cavity. The locking hub has splines on the inner and outer portion that engage the splines on the shaft and hub respectively. When the locking hub is unlocked the inner and outer portions rotate independently and the wheel is not "locked" to the axle. When the locking hub is locked the portions are engaged (locked) together and the axle and wheel are "locked" together.

Once you understand that there are two hubs that makes it easier: The main wheel hub that bolts to the knuckle (that the wheel mounts to) and the locking hub that goes in the middle to lock the axle to the main hub (wheel).

These aren't my pictures but they show what I was describing:

Main (wheel) hub:

Locking hub:
So then why does my u joint still spin when the axle is disengaged

Old 07-11-2018, 09:55 PM
RigCity
Senior User
RigCity is starting off with a positive reputation.
The needle bearing is probbally seized up happened to me I rode it out than got to replace the inner axle seal because the shaft tore that up as a secondary issue caused by the primary one. I bought the kit w ball joints , inner axle seals, the. 2 outer seals, u joint, wheel bearing hub assembly. And stub shaft which is usually destroyed by the time the repair is done. All ford/spicer parts

Old 07-11-2018, 10:00 PM
RigCity
Senior User
RigCity is starting off with a positive reputation.
Get under the truck and try to turn the axle at the u joint compare both sides should usually spin freely by hand when ďunlockedĒ

Old 07-12-2018, 07:42 AM
Markus Luukko
Senior User
Figured it out, buddy of mine knows a lot more on axles than I do. The driver side hub was locked up and wouldnít disengage, passenger side would spin cause itís the longer axle shaft. So in conclusion I bought new hubs

Old 07-12-2018, 09:18 AM
CousinCarl
Senior User
CousinCarl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I thought you had switched driver side hub to pass. side? I presumed you had cleared it from being driver side issue if you were in there, had it out and switched it. Glad you got it figured out. What brand hubs did you go with?

Old 07-12-2018, 10:06 AM
Markus Luukko
Senior User
Originally Posted by CousinCarl View Post
I thought you had switched driver side hub to pass. side? I presumed you had cleared it from being driver side issue if you were in there, had it out and switched it. Glad you got it figured out. What brand hubs did you go with?
Yes I did, but I switched it back afterwards, I went with G2s my friend has them and they work well.