Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Trans not locking in 1st correctly

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 10:56 PM
comadvan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans not locking in 1st correctly

Hey guys im having a issue with my newly rebuilt trans..

I bought this truck with 200000 miles and its been flawless, its now 900 short of 600000.. I use it to haul everyday.. nothing heavy mostly a car or truck and every once in a while a skid steer. I got 560000 out of my trans, i take it easy. lol

at 350k I installed a Jw valve body drilled pump, tripple disc converter and solenoid pack.. at 560k it went, i pulled it and brought to a guy i trust as much as you guys trust BDS.. Ive had what Ive called a vibration since day one, could be a shudder, could be a shimmy.. what ever.. I brought it back and he says nothing would do that from a trans, so I went through drive shaft, new t case ripped apart rear end and its still there and I have just been dealing with it.. about 2 months ago it started acting up in first. when I pull down to drive I get the normal bump and start to go, it feel like the truck slows, then another bump and it climbs normally with the shudder.

took it back and he said maybe a stuck valve in small VB, so I pulled it and went down there and it was fine, I reinstalled and still does same thing. I then put a pressure gauge on it and it swings as it should sits around 70 psi and will climb, only in first it will climb and fall back to 70 like a switch was flipped, and the rest of the gears bleed off slowly or normally.. He then said it could be the big valve body, so I swapped that one out with another and no real change, maybe its a bit more noticeable. im at a loss not knowing **** about trans and he is not being overly helpful..

any ideas? could this be loose feed bolts? could the shudder that I can feel at most speeds be the 1 gear slipping a tiny bit all the time? Im told that first gear is always on.. this truck has been a dream until this trans issue.. Thanks for any help..

Old 08-16-2016, 09:09 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
It's easy to tell if a clutch is slipping. If the fluid is black a clutch is slipping. If it isn't black you don't have a slipping clutch.

The pressure climbing/falling that you see in first gear seems normal. Below a certain road speed, I think that's about 5 MPH, the pressure is set by one schedule, then it switches to a different method for calculating pressure.

Do you feel this shudder/shimmy revving the engine in neutral?

Old 08-16-2016, 07:30 PM
comadvan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark, the fluid at 35k on new trans is cherry red.. the Magnet was covered in Fuzz, not overly bad but I thought it was alot. two weeks after pulling the small vb I pulled the large vb and the magnet was covered again..

The shuddering is felt when I step into it pretty good, I know what a bad slipping trans is.. the truck just does not seem to go and shudders.. its not revving out like a slip.. I dont know its weird..

the first gear thing is what has me more concerned, as Im in NYC alot and loaded so there is a lot of stop and go.. to me.. it feels like or would feel like leaking seal, as when I put it in drive I get the in gear bump, then it feels like it loses speed and bumps again, then it shifts second.. the 5mph thing is about right.. the pressure falls off like an electric on off switch, where the other gears bleed off slowly and steadily..