Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Injector or engine problems????

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 03:42 PM
jdneal88
Junior User
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Injector or engine problems????

I have a 2000 model f250 with roughly 165000 miles. I was pulling my pontoon to the lake a few weeks ago when I made a turn and was going up a hill when I heard a clicking noise start so I let of the throttle and it went away, I got back on the throttle and it came back. I made it to a safe place to pull over and checked everything I could (gauges,oil,coolant etc) and nothing showed a problem and it idled fine. I made the decision to try to limp it to my father-in-laws house a few miles away and i was limping it along ok until it started to really lose power and it died before i could get it off the road.
I loaded it up and carried it to a mechanic I know and he checked it out with his computer and only thing he saw right away was the fuel pressure wasn't where it should be. (I didn't ask what the pressure was) he changed the electric fuel pump and liked the fuel pressure but it didn't fix my problem. I called him yesterday and he had it narrowed down the drivers side. He called me today and told me that he pulled the valve cover off and started pulling the wires off the injectors while it was running and the front two cylinders on the drivers side are not hitting. He told me that he would check the compression on those cylinders tonight.
Im trying not to freak out over the possibility of a bad motor so my question is with it losing power the longer it runs (he said its still doing that) does that sound more like a compression issue or can it be injector related???

Old 08-02-2016, 03:54 PM
jdneal88
Junior User
I forgot to add that it had some white smoke before it died and the mechanic said it is still doing this while running so rough.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:32 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Could be a bad UVCH or the injectors themselves have gone bad. If it was kind of all of a sudden like you indicate IE: was running fine then started doing what you said in a short amount of time- then it is more than likely the UVCH on that side.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:52 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the mechanic says he got the fuel pressure from a scan tool, find a new mechanic.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:59 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How long have you had the truck?

How well do you know the mechanic?

There is no way he could hook his computer up to your truck and read fuel pressure. So, get clarification on that.

Next, ask about which codes were stored. If he says none, then his computer does not have the capability to read the FORD specific DTC's for OUR vintage. You'll have to find someone who has a computer that can or read this thread and check out FORScan: If you have access to a windows laptop you can be up and reading your own codes for about $15, or there are instructions for Apple and Android.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...the-cheap.html

Next, unplug your ICP censor to see if anything changes when it is running. You'll get a CEL but no damage will occur. Check the nut on the back of the IPR.

You were on a HILL. What is your fuel level? Put at least 5 gallons in it. How long ago did you change your fuel filter? Have you done the Hutch Mod?

Check back here before you agree to replace any more parts. We may be able to save you a lot of money.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:01 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Double post.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:08 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Pikachu
If the mechanic says he got the fuel pressure from a scan tool, find a new mechanic.
And Pikachu hit the nail on the head.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:50 PM
jdneal88
Junior User
He did say he used a mechanical gauge to check fuel pressure but something on the scan tool lead him in that direction. I don't know what that was.
Something on the computer lead him to the drivers side of the engine.
He also said something about doing a buzz test I believe but that didn't show a problem with the injectors.
I have had the truck for 6.5 years but have only put roughly 45k miles on it.
I haven't used him until now, I haven't really used anyone because I luckily haven't had much major go wrong with this truck. although I know several people that have and really like his work. I've known him for several years and talked to him in passing and don't think he would lead me astray intentionally.
I cant remember the fuel level right now but I think it was over 1/4 for sure. I actually clear my trip meter each time and check my fuel mileage.
The fuel filter has somewhere around 5k miles on it.
He is supposed to call me tomorrow and Ill ask about the ipc and ipr.

thanks so much for your responses

Old 08-03-2016, 10:10 PM
jdneal88
Junior User
Heres an update on my truck. He called me today and told me that he checked the compression on those cylinders and it was fine (thank god). so he changed the two injectors that he found to be bad and put it back together and it purred like a kitten until it ran for a couple minutes and it started having problems. he shut it down and put some kind of inline test gauge he has that also has some clear tubing and found that it was sucking air. The pickup tube in the tank was rotten off about 1/4 tank. thanks everyone!

jhl3 you hit the nail on the head if would have put 5 gallons in it the problem would have went away except that I captivated those two injectors and ruined them.

what are the odds that I damaged other injectors that will show their face down the road?

Old 08-03-2016, 10:29 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 869 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by jdneal88
Heres an update on my truck. He called me today and told me that he checked the compression on those cylinders and it was fine (thank god). so he changed the two injectors that he found to be bad and put it back together and it purred like a kitten until it ran for a couple minutes and it started having problems. he shut it down and put some kind of inline test gauge he has that also has some clear tubing and found that it was sucking air. The pickup tube in the tank was rotten off about 1/4 tank. thanks everyone!

jhl3 you hit the nail on the head if would have put 5 gallons in it the problem would have went away except that I captivated those two injectors and ruined them.

what are the odds that I damaged other injectors that will show their face down the road?
They may be fine for 400 k or die tomorrow.

Run it and see.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:06 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by knottyrope
They may be fine for 400 k or die tomorrow.

Run it and see.
Good point.

But if the lack of oil took out those two injectors, I am sure it affected the others as well. Who knows how long they will stay alive though.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 08-06-2016, 09:52 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Hutch mod candidate straight down the line. Two reman injectors and the labor for that and a compression test for a bad fuel pickup. Please look into "Hutch mod" to prevent future rakings.