1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Advice on Possible Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 01:57 PM
roryslife
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on Possible Purchase

I have a chance to pick this up from a friend for 1500. Its an old mining truck. Supposedly pretty complete.

Given the conditions and price... is it worth it?

My thinking was to have the engine rebuilt, get dents pulled out, drive as is. Possibly put an automatic transmission behind the flathead.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:58 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Price is ok . Do you know what you are getting into ? How much do you know about getting something like this running and SAFE to drive ? Do you have $ to spend to get it up and running , plan on $3,000 , to have a daily driver . Without body work or paint . If you are ready , go for it . Truck looks a lot better than most of us started with.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:05 PM
76-5.0
Senior User
Looks like a good one. Are the floors rusty?

Old 07-04-2016, 03:12 PM
roryslife
New User
Honesty.

No idea what Im getting into.

I have no idea what it going to take to get it up and running.

Most of my experience is from the Jeep - rock crawling world (lifts, bumpers, brakes, etc...), but I don't do engines or transmissions.

I make a decent living so... my issue is more often time, since I travel for a living.

I have no desire to paint it, but I do know a few people that do some fine old school metal work.

I do appreciate the advice. I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

Originally Posted by DR Smith
Price is ok . Do you know what you are getting into ? How much do you know about getting something like this running and SAFE to drive ? Do you have $ to spend to get it up and running , plan on $3,000 , to have a daily driver . Without body work or paint . If you are ready , go for it . Truck looks a lot better than most of us started with.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:20 PM
roryslife
New User
Im hoping for the best, but wouldn't be surprise if there are a few spots. Its been stored inside, and its an Idaho vehicle.

Originally Posted by 76-5.0
Looks like a good one. Are the floors rusty?

Old 07-04-2016, 04:06 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You'll find a bunch of opinionated enablers here, most of whom mean well. Looks like you have a largely unmolested truck.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:27 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Yours is a common story...pick it up, get it running, and drive it the way it is. Then comes the learning curve...wow I didn't know that I could do "this" or "that" and since I will be in there fixing this other thing I may as well go ahead and do this as well. It sounds like you are a gearhead and should know what's in store in your new project. It will be a roller coaster ride...if you like the thrills then you will really enjoy the ride. Good luck, you are in good company here on the FTE!

Old 07-04-2016, 04:45 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
where are you located ? we have members all over the country .

Old 07-04-2016, 06:35 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The fun is in the journey! At least that is my mantra as I SLOWLY continue with mine...

Old 07-04-2016, 06:40 PM
roryslife
New User
Originally Posted by DR Smith
where are you located ? we have members all over the country .
Boise, Idaho.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:27 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by roryslife
Boise, Idaho.
I'm a bit north of you up here in God's country.

Welcome to the insanity.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:40 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'm glad you are one of us now. Your truck looks in great shape so many of us started with much less. I would do brakes get it running good and let the truck show you what's next. Clean the fuel system and inspect the rest of truck and enjoy.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:15 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Welcome! That's a find looking '52.
As pweng1 and others have mentioned, get the brakes, tires, and powertrain operational (and safe), and just drive it for a bit. These are very simple machines, compared to new vehicles, and part of the joy for many is doing the work. Now, time is a scarce resource for most and money lets you spend time differently. You'll look to strike a balance between the two.

The money to get an old truck back on the road will vary, depending on your expectations. Keeping old sheet metal looking old is less expensive than a new paint job, for the most part.

Engines and brakes are another matter. Finding a mechanic able to work on flatheads can be challenging. Few newer people in the trade have experience with pre-computer controlled engines, much less these designs. There are change outs required to insure the fuel line is able to handle modern gas formulations. The brake system from master cylinder to the lines to the wheel cylinders will likely need to be replaced. With some coaxing, the flathead may be brought back to life as is - which would give you a sense of the other work needed: wiring, cooling, charging system, lights, and gearing are typical. Expect to spend a couple thousand on tires/brakes/engine parts - more if hired out. Parts sources will range from the local NAPA store to some good online houses (Dennis Carpenter, Mid Fifty, Mac's, C&G, Summit, and others) with speciality houses for sheet metal (Northern Classic Truck), tires (Coker), and radiators (US Radiator). This is not an exhaustive list by any measure.

Avoid the temptation to tear it all down before you get in any miles. Be prepared to become an ambassador for old truck ownership with each trip you ultimately take in your new beauty. Most importantly, grin like a goof every time you get behind the wheel with your good fortune to own a piece of history - that draws admiring looks from many. Enjoy the journey.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:50 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm no mechanic by any means! A back yard tinkerer at best, like you I bought a 51 complete in 1994 restored it and enjoyed the simplicity of it ,since then I'm now on my 5th truck it's enjoyable to me....... I have done pretty good for a guy with craftsman tools! Play around with it as a hobbie see if you like it!!

Old 07-05-2016, 11:08 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
Welcome to FTE! Congratulations on the new member of your family! I just started working on my Truck. It just happened to belong to my Grandpa and Dad so I didn't have the purchase cost upfront. I have found myself liking the simple challenge of all aspects of the rebuild. Yes, my original plan was to tear it apart and start from scratch, but after I got the ol'e girl started the direction changed. I want to drive it! So I'm starting from the wheels up. Items that will make it road worthy. The dents, dings, paint, etc. can wait. It all has to get done eventually so why not enjoy it along the way. Of course everyone is in a different situation and different expectations. The single most important word of advise would be "Patients". Have fun and good luck! Dave