Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

ESAB Rebel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 12:28 PM
Black1
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ESAB Rebel?

Anybody have any experience with one? Competitive products?

Intended use is hot-rod type projects, general welding and something my wife can use to create trash, er, art. God help me.

Anyway, looks like a pretty complete little package. I don't have 220 in the garage yet but I've got work for an electrician this summer, I could add that to his list. Any comments welcomed.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:16 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Black1
and something my wife can use to create trash, er, art. God help me.

Any comments welcomed.
I'll take that last bit literally.......................

One of the Marriage Commandments goes something like Thou shall NOT insult thy wife's "art"........at least not within earshot of herself.........foresooth or words to that effect.

Otherwise nothing more to contribute...............

Old 06-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Black1
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We've been married 19 years. She's used to my shenanigans. And vice versa.

As long as I remember her Big Red at the store I'm good to go. You know how those Mexican girls are about their super-sweet soda...

Old 06-12-2016, 06:34 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Black1
We've been married 19 years. She's used to my shenanigans. And vice versa.

As long as I remember her Big Red at the store I'm good to go. You know how those Mexican girls are about their super-sweet soda...
Congrats on both----with that awesome relationship you can both certainly tolerate and encourage one another's shenanigans.

I was married to a Peruviana and you're right---the Latin people LOVE that super sweet stuff in any form. My favorite drink is Diet Pepsi, she thought it was medicine. She'd drag something home, two sips in and I'm already on a sugar rush and headache too.

Oddly enough though I was eating Life cereal in the morning---she called that a kids meal. It was only after a while I realized that was due the TV advertisements all featured kids so she assumed it was Cap'n Crunch etc etc.

Good luck on the new welder---sounds like your artist is one for the ages!

Old 06-12-2016, 10:34 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It looks neat, I'd be concerned about the screen though. First project for me would be to make a hinged cover for that.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:17 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
My machinist bro bought one to replace a worn out Migmaster 250 in his fab shop and loves it.

ESAB has changed plant location, owners, and welder models a fair amount so make sure you have plenty of extra consumables (which you will eventually use anyway and which won't get cheaper) on hand. ESAB does love "vendor lock" so you won't have the aftermarket consumable selection you do with Lincoln or Miller. Since you aren't an industrial user that should be no hassle.

There is an ESAB forum at Weldingweb that's pretty good. (Their welding forums in general are outstanding.)

Scott-Gross is a good online source for parts and consumables.

I have ESAB, Lincoln, Miller, and Thermal Arc machines so I've no dog in the brand fight.

220 in your shop is always a good thing.