2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

New Super Duty high trims: all LED except license plate lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 06:02 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
New Super Duty high trims: all LED except license plate lights?

So, based upon what I've seen, if you order the LED lights package (Lariat Ultimate and up), then you get LED headlamps, LED "C-Clamp" running lights, LED turn signals, LED marker lamps, LED roof lamps (if ordered), LED taillamps, LED brake lamps, LED taillight "signature" tubes, and LED mirror turn signals / clearance lamps.

You also get LED bed lights at roof level and in the bed, plus an LED 3rd brake lamp.

However, it appears the license plate lamps remain standard incandescent. That is kind of strange, considering cheaper cars were adopting the LED plate lights early while all other lights remained incandescent...including the Ford Focus a couple of years back.

Does anyone know if the reverse lamps are LED? Are the turn signals still red?

Even the interior lighting is all LED...at least the roof courtesy lamps are, and probably most of the switch backlighting.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:53 AM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
License plate lights are about $11.00 for the good ones. Not a huge loss.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:54 PM
airm4n
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You know the downside I found in semi's to having all these LED taillights is when you drive through lots of snow they don't make enough heat to melt the lights and no one can see you. Not sure how much snow you guys get but up here in Canada we tend to get enough and some pretty bad visibility. I'll stick with old style ones for now.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:42 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by airm4n
You know the downside I found in semi's to having all these LED taillights is when you drive through lots of snow they don't make enough heat to melt the lights and no one can see you. Not sure how much snow you guys get but up here in Canada we tend to get enough and some pretty bad visibility. I'll stick with old style ones for now.
Here in northern NH we get a lot of snow, too. I have found the normal incandescent bulbs don't make enough heat either. I once drove my Range Rover 100 miles in near whiteout conditions. When I stopped, snow had completely covered over the taillights, which were on, of course. So while I agree in general,I don't think it will be an issue. FMVSS require a certain amount of heat to melt snow anyway, I'm sure Ford figured it out.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:59 PM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by airm4n
But at least the LED taillights on the trailers don't set the dockpads on fire like the incandescents had a tendency to do from time to time....

Old 05-17-2016, 05:59 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
Here in northern NH we get a lot of snow, too. I have found the normal incandescent bulbs don't make enough heat either. I once drove my Range Rover 100 miles in near whiteout conditions. When I stopped, snow had completely covered over the taillights, which were on, of course. So while I agree in general,I don't think it will be an issue. FMVSS require a certain amount of heat to melt snow anyway, I'm sure Ford figured it out.
Same here in Northern Wisconsin. On the traffic signals it makes a difference, but on a vehicle going down the road at 40MPH, you just don't generate enough heat to melt the ice and snow off of your lights.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:56 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by redford
Same here in Northern Wisconsin. On the traffic signals it makes a difference, but on a vehicle going down the road at 40MPH, you just don't generate enough heat to melt the ice and snow off of your lights.
I believe there is a federal requirement for your headlights being able to melt ice from them in a certain timeframe when stopped. Not that it translates to road use, but I believe there is that requirement. That is why Audi had to use a duct and fan system to direct heat away from the rear of its LED headlight system and back into the front lens area. I wonder if Ford does the same? The LED lights generate significant heat at the rear (circuit board) end but virtually nothing out the front.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:39 PM
hoseclamp
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Silicon spray, I keep it some in all the vehicles during the winter, I wipe it on the lights front and back, it doesn't last days but it will help keep snow building up on a bad white out drive where every couple hours you stop and clean the vehicle. I use a mild formula, hasn't effected paint or trim the 10 years I've been using it.