Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Wiper arm and blade problem

Old 05-09-2016, 07:44 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Rimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud of
Wiper arm and blade problem

I have a set of stock appearing arms and set of Trico 33-101 blades on my wife's 52. The problem I am having is the arms don't provide enough pressure to keep the blades against the windshield. At 80 MPH they flutter pretty good, at 90 they are bouncing all over the place and around 100 they just stay airborne. Ross recommended the Trico 51-062 arms and I was wondering if they had a stronger spring to hold the blades tighter to the windshield. Of course this is all hypothetical as anyone knows a F-1 won't go that fast, and to do so would be wrong.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:00 PM
Jules The Great
Elder User
Jules The Great is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Jules The Great is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mike, I think the stock wiper arms are garbage. Here is what I did, I went to a junk yard with my battery sawzall and sawed off the drive ***** from a 1988 ranger. I wanted the hook mount wipers as well so I took the ranger arms and some arms off a newer ranger as well. I pried off the 55' ford drive ***** to measure the shaft size. I took the ones I sawed off at the yard and drilled the ***** out to the size of the shaft, then drilled them thru the side and tapped for a set screw to install the newer wipers with a bigger spring.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:02 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
I got the 51-062 arms at O'Reilly's, they have a strong coil spring in them that holds them down at all speeds. I can take a pic if you need it.

Edit -- here is a pic. The arms are also adjustable for length. I assume your wipers still have the stock knurl diameter (1/2")? are they original electric wipers? I believe the stock arms just use a leaf spring and it isn't worth a darn.

PS -- no flutter at 65, can't say above that. With the barn-door windshield there's a ton of turbulence at all speeds.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:35 AM
49willard
Postmaster
49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.
Before I drive in the rain at Mike's speeds I have to figure out how to get the cowl vent to hold closed, rain tight. Any experience/suggestions welcome. No, I will not weld up/permanently close the cowl vent, I want it!

Old 05-10-2016, 10:16 AM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Rimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud ofRimrock F1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jules The Great View Post
Mike, I think the stock wiper arms are garbage. Here is what I did, I went to a junk yard with my battery sawzall and sawed off the drive ***** from a 1988 ranger. I wanted the hook mount wipers as well so I took the ranger arms and some arms off a newer ranger as well. I pried off the 55' ford drive ***** to measure the shaft size. I took the ones I sawed off at the yard and drilled the ***** out to the size of the shaft, then drilled them thru the side and tapped for a set screw to install the newer wipers with a bigger spring.
I may need to try that but since I have a stock electric setup I prefer not to modify it.

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
I got the 51-062 arms at O'Reilly's, they have a strong coil spring in them that holds them down at all speeds. I can take a pic if you need it.

Edit -- here is a pic. The arms are also adjustable for length. I assume your wipers still have the stock knurl diameter (1/2")? are they original electric wipers? I believe the stock arms just use a leaf spring and it isn't worth a darn.

PS -- no flutter at 65, can't say above that. With the barn-door windshield there's a ton of turbulence at all speeds.

Thanks Ross it looks like those will work, I'll give them a try.

Originally Posted by 49willard View Post
Before I drive in the rain at Mike's speeds I have to figure out how to get the cowl vent to hold closed, rain tight. Any experience/suggestions welcome. No, I will not weld up/permanently close the cowl vent, I want it!
Best speed I can do in rain is about sixty as the wipers are near useless. Don't get rid of your vent, even with air conditioning We use ours all the time. You do know when you pull the handle closed it get tight then cam over to lock it closed. If I don't pull ours to the cam lock position it leaks like a sieve, fully locked it just drips a little.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:37 PM
mOROTBREATH
Posting Guru
mOROTBREATH has a good reputation on FTE.mOROTBREATH has a good reputation on FTE.mOROTBREATH has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post

Ross, do you think these would fit on a '56? I've hat the fluttering wiper problem for a while, and in fact it was on my mind lately when it last rained. My wipers work well enough to safely drive, by my last blades had to be custom fit with scissors and about an hours work. It'd be nice to have arms that could accept pre fashioned blades.

Thank you.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:20 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
If the pivot knurls are 1/2" diameter, they will.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:28 AM
mOROTBREATH
Posting Guru
mOROTBREATH has a good reputation on FTE.mOROTBREATH has a good reputation on FTE.mOROTBREATH has a good reputation on FTE.
Do you have part numbers for the wiper blades? Do they come ready to pop on, or did you have to do any work? What is the wiper blade length of the units on your truck?

Thanks for helpin me out....again!

Old 05-11-2016, 07:26 AM
49willard
Postmaster
49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.49willard has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Rimrock F1 View Post
I may need to try that but since I have a stock electric setup I prefer not to modify it.

Best speed I can do in rain is about sixty as the wipers are near useless. Don't get rid of your vent, even with air conditioning We use ours all the time. You do know when you pull the handle closed it get tight then cam over to lock it closed. If I don't pull ours to the cam lock position it leaks like a sieve, fully locked it just drips a little.
Mike,
I agree with keeping the vent. It does feel like it is closing properly. A trip behind the dash is overdue. With AC and seats installed, such a trip has been on hold, something about not being young!

Old 05-11-2016, 02:43 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mOROTBREATH View Post
Do you have part numbers for the wiper blades? Do they come ready to pop on, or did you have to do any work? What is the wiper blade length of the units on your truck?

Thanks for helpin me out....again!
The Trico TRI 33-101 (O'R's number) are 10", same as stock. They are a complete assembly, clip on with no drama. I have also used ANCO 1010's, can't remember if they use the same connection to the arm tho.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:39 PM
mechmagcn
Diesel Junky
mechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to allmechmagcn is a name known to all
One suggestion to stop the "stuttering" or skipping is to make sure the blade sits as close to 90 to the glass as possible. I just twisted my arms with a crescent wrench and now the wipers glide smoothly across the glass.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:53 AM
Mr. Ed
Elder User
Mr. Ed has a good reputation on FTE.Mr. Ed has a good reputation on FTE.
They call it "flexing" according to the tech I spoke with at Trico years ago. I had that problem on my new car. Fortunately, I do not have that problem on my current vehicle but now I know what to do should it happen again.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Old 05-20-2016, 10:44 PM
mike85120
Junior User
mike85120 has a good reputation on FTE.mike85120 has a good reputation on FTE.mike85120 has a good reputation on FTE.
Hi Mike,
I had to look mine up...I have wiper arms that were bought from LMC.
I have had my truck in the vicinity that you are talking about and have not had the problems your mentioning. If you are up for changing them, I would recommend LMC.
In case you are wondering, NO, I'm not interested in seeing who's is faster...I know better.
Mike