6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

All you 5ivers

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 07:19 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
All you 5ivers

Looking at moving to a 5iver ONLY because Roy has one and he is a Navy guy and I am Army so I need one too. LOL only kidding on that, but worth a pull on Roy

Truth is we have an older dog and more difficult for him to get his 90 lbs up in/out our Truck Camper.

Looking at: Jayco 27.5 RKDS: 2016 Eagle HT 27.5RKDS | Jayco, Inc.

Any thoughts or comments welcome, never owned a 5iver...

Duke

Old 03-25-2016, 08:00 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
Don, Jayco is a top notch independent brand with a good two year warranty. 5vers are easy as pie to tow. Go for it and enjoy.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:15 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
The pup will be able to get in and out much easier. Some you may want to build a step as the ones that come with it are still a little high for the first step.

This pic shows the step I built. 5er's are a bit different but lots more space and comfort for all.

Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2016, 09:11 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm on my second unit with over 15 years and all 49 states under my belt. Not sure your dog will get in any easier than a motor home but it will be easier than your truck camper. I can say that a fiver and a good truck works well. I haven't found too many parks or campgrounds ( a few state parks in the northeast maybe) I couldn't use and my current unit is 37 or 38 feet. That's not true of many motor homes. I can back up if I get in a tight, the MHs with a toad can't. And in many cases you get more interior room and better fuel economy. The biggest down side to being a tourist in a 5er is you gotta drive what you tow with. A lot of tourist towns just don't work well for a big diesel.

There are a lot of 5er units on the market. I'm a pretty handy do it yourselfer so I would never even consider a new trailer. That depreciation curve is very steep. Besides most everyone I've ever talked to that bought new had a long list of things that needed fixing right from the dealers lot. plus with a used unit they usually throw in all the stuff you have to go to camping world and buy for a new unit.

finally I would say this, don't be impressed by big TVs and fancy curtains or paint and decals. The important stuff is the trailer frame, axles springs shackles shocks and most important of all the roof and seals on the top and on the sides of the unit. Water is your worst enemy, it can ruin a unit even one that's close to new. Your second enemy is bad tires. Check the date, if they are 4 years or older replace them. You won't believe the damage a blow out at 65 MPH will do. Trust me I know. And as always, you will have to pay for quality. Unless you are thinking 5 years and out. a cheap trailer will cost you more in the long run. Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:32 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,476 Likes on 1,293 Posts
Before my 15 year old lab mix passed on there was times we would put the dog ramp down for her so she could get up and down into the 5th wheel. Even the 5th has some hieght.

Amazon.com : Solvit 62320 Deluxe XL Telescoping Pet Ramp : Pet Door Safety Ramps : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : Solvit 62320 Deluxe XL Telescoping Pet Ramp : Pet Door Safety Ramps : Pet Supplies

Old 03-25-2016, 09:57 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd suggest you also look at Coachmen Chaparral. Their use of Azdel instead of Luan backing made all the difference in the world.

In the price point you are looking you really need to take any Advantage available. We are extremely happy with our Chaparral and it has more higher end features that any other unit I'm it's price range. Quality slam latches, twin 30lb tanks, Dexter 7k axles, all interior LEDs, 12" I-beam frame, Sat, Solar, and Gen prepped, tinted windows, and tons of other stuff. I'd definitely recommend taking a tour of one.

Coachmen RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes

I've been incredibly happy with the built quality also.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:09 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Watch this video if you want to see that price doesn't mean much when you buy a Fifth Wheel. Neither does brand

He has several other videos of their problems, including a plumbing leak that flooded the kitchen, slide issues, AC issues, and a lot more. I was already following their channel before they purchased this unit, so I didn't have to search.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:12 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Thanks for all the responses. Wife looked at the Coachmen Chaparral last night and it appears they are a quality unit, I know they are if Iron is rolling in one.

Our needs are slightly different, no kids, no grandkids, no, brothers, no sisters, just me, the wife and 5 dogs (3 doxy's, 1 Yorkie, Duke the Blood hound)

We are wanting to stay short, I have done long and don't need it twice.

45 ft long, WAY TOO LONG + I was pulling a 30 ft box trailer that had my off road Jeep in it

Old 03-26-2016, 12:04 PM
Rod Bensken
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had a couple of Jayco's. Been about 10 years ago, no problems with them. However, we looked at a new one last year. Had the 4 season insulation package (jayco's version). The front washer/dryer area had a broken wall, and I could see the fiberglass nose. Wasn't a lick on insulation in the nose. I have taken Jayco off my list.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:25 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Rod Bensken
I've had a couple of Jayco's. Been about 10 years ago, no problems with them. However, we looked at a new one last year. Had the 4 season insulation package (jayco's version). The front washer/dryer area had a broken wall, and I could see the fiberglass nose. Wasn't a lick on insulation in the nose. I have taken Jayco off my list.
LOL, 65+K on that Kawa and your talking about insulation or the lack there of..

Week before Labor Day I took some time off and headed S out of Ft Worth to San Antonio for some R&R.

Great trip, it was hotter than hell and I was loving it. After a couple of days I headed back N to home. Late afternoon and I figured to roll in about supper time and I look up to see nothing but BLACK sky heading my way...hard. I meet it head on with rain drops falling on my head like bullets, I am S side of Ft Worth maybe 45 min from the house. I pull over under a drive thru at some cheap motel and decide to check in and dry out and heal my wounds.

I wake up Sat am to thunder and lighting, POURING down rain and the high temp that day was a record low. I spend the day watching TV and eating delivered pizza for 3 of my meals.

Sun its still raining and raining hard, finally late afternoon it slows somewhat and I need to be at work the next day. I take off and it feels like a cloud of Wasps are stinging me and still have whelps and bruises from Fri. Rain is coming in wave and I am pulling over under anything I can to wait out the wave. Almost 3 hrs later I arrive home.

I head to the bathroom to shower and get warm, look in the mirror and I am BLUE. I am long past the shivers and I spend the next better part of an hour standing in the shower. I was so cold the cold water felt hot.

No windshield and an open helmet, as cold as I have been in my life...

Old 03-26-2016, 06:04 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
The only thing that I have to add is, consider all your needs and wants. I know of several people that have purchased an RV only to trade and re-purchase a short time later. They repeat this expensive cycle every year or two for years. Eventually they purchase the RV with options and quality that they should have purchased the first time around. If your end of the rainbow RV is a huge, fancy RV, don't make your first RV a small, cheap one. Climbing the RV ladder wastes a lot of money.

People on the RV ladder, cycling through RVs are very popular people at their local RV dealer.

Bruce...

Old 03-26-2016, 07:42 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
Thanks for all the responses. Wife looked at the Coachmen Chaparral last night and it appears they are a quality unit, I know they are if Iron is rolling in one.

Our needs are slightly different, no kids, no grandkids, no, brothers, no sisters, just me, the wife and 5 dogs (3 doxy's, 1 Yorkie, Duke the Blood hound)

We are wanting to stay short, I have done long and don't need it twice.

45 ft long, WAY TOO LONG + I was pulling a 30 ft box trailer that had my off road Jeep in it
Yeah, if we didn't have two kids we would have gotten something without the mid bunk. But we definitely would stick with the rear living room format. We love having the feel of a nice living room with great legroom, chairs, and space for friends to sit comfortably and chat. Opposing slides is mandatory as well as a comfortable feel that you don't mind "going home" to.

The 29RLS Chaparral Lite also has the outside kitchen which is great.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:10 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Every camper brand, and individual camper has it's things. Find what you like, and go for it.

Consider everything, like Bruce said, it's easy to think this will work or that will work but then end up replacing it right away.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:20 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by my_crib_too
The only thing that I have to add is, consider all your needs and wants. I know of several people that have purchased an RV only to trade and re-purchase a short time later. They repeat this expensive cycle every year or two for years. Eventually they purchase the RV with options and quality that they should have purchased the first time around. If your end of the rainbow RV is a huge, fancy RV, don't make your first RV a small, cheap one. Climbing the RV ladder wastes a lot of money.

People on the RV ladder, cycling through RVs are very popular people at their local RV dealer.

Bruce...
For sure. We paid our dues on the motorcoach for sure. It started off being a mid entry 30 footer IIRC and wanted them and wanted that, could not find this except at a dealer in BumChuck Egypt, so we stepped up, but it was wrong color...finally I gave up on it and told wife to just order what ever she wanted. We got it for 5% over invoice so got a deal and in fact when the dealer bought it back, we walked out with money in our pocket.

LOL went from 45' to a Truck Camper, which we love and have had it for almost 7 years and its either time to freshen it up or buy new. Ordering is the way to go, we found a dealer that would do 5% over invoice on the truck camper, but our travel schedule did not allow us to pick it up in Wa IIRC, then the price increase and MSRP jumped to $72k (YES for a truck camper)! So we decided to wait another year and then we got Duke our Blood hound on a divorce rescue and he is big. And all you guys on here with 5ivers got me to thinking, so we looked liked what we saw. Thanks to everyone especially Iron Cobra who has helped me in my thinking and your comments and everyone else has been positive, helpful and looks like I will be joining the club soon...

Old 03-26-2016, 08:44 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you considered a small toy hauler? The garage space makes a great "dog house". I've got a friend who shows dogs, and that's what they did...

Quick Reply: All you 5ivers