Trailer Reverse Guidance - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Trailer Reverse Guidance

Old 03-17-2016, 02:44 AM
phydough
Senior User
phydough is starting off with a positive reputation.
Trailer Reverse Guidance

I wonder if there is a size threshold of frontal trailer area that it needs. I mean, will it see a little empty boat trailer. That would be cool if it can. Those little trailers that you can't see below the tailgate and inside the fenders will no longer need a spotter.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:13 AM
fordmantpw
Posting Guru
fordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by phydough View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjttQNCMDxE

I wonder if there is a size threshold of frontal trailer area that it needs. I mean, will it see a little empty boat trailer. That would be cool if it can. Those little trailers that you can't see below the tailgate and inside the fenders will no longer need a spotter.
I would assume it looks at the tongue of the trailer, so trailer size should not matter at all.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:17 AM
seventyseven250
Post Fiend
seventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant future
Since it's just a camera, I agree, it can see any size of trailer, tall or short, wide or skinny.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:43 AM
Rasalas
Postmaster
Rasalas has a great reputation on FTE.Rasalas has a great reputation on FTE.Rasalas has a great reputation on FTE.Rasalas has a great reputation on FTE.Rasalas has a great reputation on FTE.
After watching several videos on the subject it appears that several cameras are involved including not only the tailgate camera (which I know can see small trailers) but also 2 mirror mounted cameras, a high stop light camera and also a front camera. In total there are up to 7 cameras available including one for the adoptive cruise control (helps prevent rear end collisions) and one portable which can be mounted anywhere but mainly designed for the rear of the trailer. All are options and probably available as part of a package.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:36 PM
fzrider998
Senior User
fzrider998 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by fordmantpw View Post
I would assume it looks at the tongue of the trailer, so trailer size should not matter at all.
I think you're right. Probably similar to the F150s backup assist....doesn't it use a sticker of some sort on the tongue? This would provide a visual for system to pick up on and sense where things are positioned so it can make suggestions to the driver.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:18 AM
fordmantpw
Posting Guru
fordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to beholdfordmantpw is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by fzrider998 View Post
I think you're right. Probably similar to the F150s backup assist....doesn't it use a sticker of some sort on the tongue? This would provide a visual for system to pick up on and sense where things are positioned so it can make suggestions to the driver.
I know the F150 system uses a sticker you put on the tongue as well as measurements you have to enter into the system. I'm not sure on the Super Duty though.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:04 AM
DerekShiekhi
Senior User
DerekShiekhi is starting off with a positive reputation.
The Camera System on the 2017 Ford Super Duty Can Tell You When You're About to Jackknife

The Camera System on the 2017 Ford Super Duty Can Tell You When You're About to Jackknife

Ford wants to keep the eventual owners of the 2017 Super Duty visually informed, so it's developed a comprehensive system to do just that.

Read the rest on the Ford-Trucks.com homepage. >>