2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2016 F-150 Pro Trailer Assist?? 2017 SD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 04:13 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 F-150 Pro Trailer Assist?? 2017 SD?

Have you guys seen this feature on the 2016 F-150's?

I don't think the 2017 SD will have this feature but I think I would much rather have the camera (available with the 2017 SD) mounted on the back of my trailer (28' Enclosed Race Trailer) so i can actually see behind the trailer vs. looking at the front of the trailer via the tail gate camera.

What are your thoughts?

Old 02-07-2016, 05:40 PM
ejb69
More Turbo
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I see no need for it.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:23 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
Originally Posted by ejb69
I see no need for it.
Agreed! If your trailer is blocking your view, i think it would be more dangerous than good.

Put a wireless camera on the back of the trailer so you can see where you need to go... That wold be useful.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:10 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
It looks like this tech is for smaller trailers like a boat trailer. It wouldn't help me with a long fifth wheel as it can't see past the front landing gear. The remote camera will definitely be useful. My biggest problem when backing by myself is I can't see if I'm two feet or two inches from the back of the trailer to the fence.

Watching the guy actually trying it out, I noticed he never looked up from the screen. That's got to be a problem. I can see some front fenders bumping into stuff when you're so vapor-locked on the backup screen.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:22 PM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
It looks like this tech is for smaller trailers like a boat trailer. It wouldn't help me with a long fifth wheel as it can't see past the front landing gear. The remote camera will definitely be useful. My biggest problem when backing by myself is I can't see if I'm two feet or two inches from the back of the trailer to the fence.

Watching the guy actually trying it out, I noticed he never looked up from the screen. That's got to be a problem. I can see some front fenders bumping into stuff when you're so vapor-locked on the backup screen.
That was my thought exactly! More prone to a fender bender than anything.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:52 PM
bowler304
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am new to backing trailers and we have 34' 10" travel trailer and I have to back it down my driveway with two big ditches on each side. I think this would be great tech on the SD, but also like the idea of a camera.

So far I have put it in my driveway about six times since we got it and I am getting better, but this would probably help a newb like me.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:01 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey bowler, you should search your area and see if there are any lesson for trailering available. Learning new skills is never something to be embarrassed about and getting pointers in controlled difficult situations will be a lot better than learning the hard way backing in to a tight camp site and taking the side of the trailer or truck off.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:47 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 443 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by bowler304
I am new to backing trailers and we have 34' 10" travel trailer and I have to back it down my driveway with two big ditches on each side. I think this would be great tech on the SD, but also like the idea of a camera.

So far I have put it in my driveway about six times since we got it and I am getting better, but this would probably help a newb like me.
Just a thought, take your trailer to an empty store parking lot with some cones and practice threading the cones from all directions, with and without help. I learned to back trailers by backing the boat down the ramp when I was 13/14. It's just instinct for me, but I've seen others who couldn't put a 8' wide trailer through a 30' wide door without taking out at least one, if not both, sides of the door.

Side note, the longer the trailer, the easier it is to back up. If you really want some fun, try backing up a tiny 8' utility trailer!

Old 02-10-2016, 03:41 PM
bowler304
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Just a thought, take your trailer to an empty store parking lot with some cones and practice threading the cones from all directions, with and without help. I learned to back trailers by backing the boat down the ramp when I was 13/14. It's just instinct for me, but I've seen others who couldn't put a 8' wide trailer through a 30' wide door without taking out at least one, if not both, sides of the door.

Side note, the longer the trailer, the easier it is to back up. If you really want some fun, try backing up a tiny 8' utility trailer!
I have practiced, I took it out where I keep it stored, laid out my mailbox and driveway with cones and practices about 4~5 times there before I ever took it home. My biggest issue at home is the time, there are alot of cars on my street and they get pissed so I panic and rush. I am getting better, but I still need lots of practice. Just saying this might help me, but my uncle said it will just make more stupid drivers.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:16 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Good lord...... lets dumb down drivers even more.....

Old 02-11-2016, 09:24 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Pro Trailer Assist won't be available on the '17 Super Duty because it's going to still use hydraulic power steering. The F150 uses electric power steering that can be controlled by the PCM, which enables the truck to actually turn the wheel to match input from the Pro Trailer Assist system.

Lots of folks decry the system in the F150 forums, but I think it's a great idea. There are lots of people who aren't very good at backing trailers, and a feature like this may prevent accidents. Of course Epic makes a good point about focusing your attention on the backup camera, situational awareness is important even when using tools like this. I was a professional truck driver for a few years and consider myself pretty good with a trailer, so I doubt I'd ever use it. But if it prevents someone from backing into my truck I'll consider that a WIN.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:46 AM
Shepardsonp
Tuned
Originally Posted by Tom
Pro Trailer Assist won't be available on the '17 Super Duty because it's going to still use hydraulic power steering. The F150 uses electric power steering that can be controlled by the PCM, which enables the truck to actually turn the wheel to match input from the Pro Trailer Assist system.

Lots of folks decry the system in the F150 forums, but I think it's a great idea. There are lots of people who aren't very good at backing trailers, and a feature like this may prevent accidents. Of course Epic makes a good point about focusing your attention on the backup camera, situational awareness is important even when using tools like this. I was a professional truck driver for a few years and consider myself pretty good with a trailer, so I doubt I'd ever use it. But if it prevents someone from backing into my truck I'll consider that a WIN.
Excellent input! I was looking at photos of the 2017 SD and looking for the button on the dash but didn't see it. For me personally who is taking delivery of a 28' extra tall race trailer in a few months and store it in a 30' stall at a storage lot. I am most excited for the camera on the back of the trailer so i can see behind the trailer while backing it in. I can handle the backing part just fine!

Old 02-11-2016, 10:17 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
I read somewhere that Ford considers Super Duty drivers as already having good backing skills and therefore don't need the assist. But what Tom said makes more sense. If the Super Duty had electric power steering you can bet the feature would be made available.

This brings up another question for me as I wonder about the reliability and longevity of electric vs hydraulic. Is this the beginning of the end for our old tried and true hydraulic steering? I'd be ok with that.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:53 AM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you think you need this option then you don't need to be towing a trailer.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:56 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick

This brings up another question for me as I wonder about the reliability and longevity of electric vs hydraulic. Is this the beginning of the end for our old tried and true hydraulic steering? I'd be ok with that.
I imagine that's going to be true eventually. EPS has its advantages, but the downside is replacement cost. I haven't looked up every possible application, but the EPS motor isn't separately serviceable in the F150 or the Sienna that we used to have. Both require the replacement of the entire assembly when they fail, and the part is over $1,000 in both cases.

Quick Reply: 2016 F-150 Pro Trailer Assist?? 2017 SD?