Shopping for a '16 Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 05:34 PM
DannyFullpint
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping for a '16 Lariat

Hi Fellas (and Ladies),
This is my first post, I've been a lurker for months. I am a 35 year old IT professional and beer publication owner who has dreamed of owning my own Ford F150 since my dad and Uncle Mark had one back in the early 80s. I'm not a handy man, an outdoorsman, a fisherman, a contractor. I just am in love with Ford F-150s and I'm at a point in my life where I can actually afford to drive whatever I want.

I live in Southern California, which is relatively flat, unless you go East and up to the Mountains. Let me work backwards on what I would love to get for myself, and maybe you guys can help me add or remove options to get the best possible deal on a year old model (in my case, a 2016 Lariat in the 2017 calendar year).

Looking to keep a car note around $500 a month on a 60 month term.
- I love the Lariat package because of the (p)leather interior.

- I want the SuperCrew Cab

- I really like the Sports and Chrome appearance packages.

- Based on the fact I won't be hauling much if at all, not sure which engine to get. This might be my one and only truck, so not sure if I should buy power for future use.

- I hear 4x4 is the way to go should I need to sell it, and if I want to go up in the mountains.

- I see Ford incentives this month on year old stock that they are presumably trying to move. Is this something they do every March?

- Would I be better off $$-wise tricking out an XLT than going up to the Lariat.

- Is there a national Automall online that is the best place for F150. Because I am in SoCal, all the local dealers hear don't have crap to pick from. I guess it's a non-issue if I'm getting a year old model built from the factory, but I'd like the option of a used, year old model, preferably certified.

- I drive a 4 Cyl Sedan right now. How long does it take to get used to parking a SuperCrew with a 5 1/2 ft box?

Any tips, tricks, advice short of talking my wimpy *** out of the purchase would be appreciated.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:12 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Have you driven a pick up? not quite the same as a 4 cylinder sedan. different people adapt to different vehicles. myself, Ive driven so many different vehicles, it doesn't matter what I drive.... if not going to tow, or haul, Id probably get the 5.0. but that's me, and others will say get the 2.7 ecoboost.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:08 PM
JKBrad
Received 808 Likes on 593 Posts
XLT SuperCrew 5.5' bed, Sport or Chrome pkg, 302A pkg, 2.7 EcoBoost, 4x4, Add aftermarket leather from Classic Soft Trim or Katzkins for about $1K and you're $35-37K or so on a left over 2015. Price can vary with options. Nav, moon roof and 20" wheels can drive the price up fast! Sticker price will be $45K plus or minus a couple or 3 grand. For a 2016 add about $2K. For a $500 a month payment you will need about $10K down.

Look for deals on dealer lots, since it is Truck Month they will really want to get all of the left over 2015s out of their inventory.

I think the 2.7 EcoBoost will do everything you need in a truck at unless you plan to get a big trailer. Don't overlook 5.0 V8s or 3.5 EcoBoosts either. I would avoid the non turbo 3.5 V6 though.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:09 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
I usually like to take advantage of year end rebates around Thanksgiving, there is more to choose from then, than if you wait into the next year.(I.E. color, configuration, motor, trim..etc.) If maximizing mpg's is important, than look to the 2.7EB. If simplicity and still good mpg's is more for you, than go 5.0. For me, I need maximum towing power so I would get the 3.5 EB again without a doubt. Most power and decent mpg.
Just get the Lariat, there are always a bunch to choose from around here when I have looked at dealer stock. Unless you order, I don't know if you could find a XLT with leather anyway.
The Screw 5.5bed is pretty easy to get around town, that's what I liked most about the shorter bed.
4x4 in SoCal is probably not a must if you don't care. There a lot of 2wd's there so it is not abnormal to have a 2wd for resale. Here in the PNW, 2wd's are less desirable and infrequent, leading to a tougher resale. 2wd will also get you better mpg's and offer less parts that could eventually give you trouble.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:23 PM
DannyFullpint
New User
Originally Posted by brokenleg
Have you driven a pick up? not quite the same as a 4 cylinder sedan. different people adapt to different vehicles. myself, Ive driven so many different vehicles, it doesn't matter what I drive.... if not going to tow, or haul, Id probably get the 5.0. but that's me, and others will say get the 2.7 ecoboost.
I haven't driven a pickup. My wife has a Pathfinder, so that and my sedan are what I'm used to.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:25 PM
DannyFullpint
New User
Great advice @Rain Dessert and @JKBrad.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:57 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,230 Likes on 808 Posts
Danny, welcome to FTE.

First off, I'd recommend that you rent an F-150 for a weekend and drive the snot out of it. Equipment on the rental isn't the issue, the size and feel of the truck that you need / want is.

Used truck prices are so stupid high now that depreciation on a year old truck may not match your factory incentives on a new one. Shop wisely. If you do go preowned, then a certified preowned in the best option.

However, new trucks typically carry better financing options and you get to take advantage of all the factory rebates, warranties and any other incentives that may present themselves. Additionally, you can tailor extended warranty options and maintenance plans to fit your needs.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:31 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome!
You may want to consider a lease. First, you won't be beating on the truck, just using it like a car, so you won't have the damages that often come. Secondly. if you want $500 payments, that won't happen without a lease. $500 * 60 is $30k (before taxes tags and interest), and you won't touch anything close to what you're looking for with those numbers. That's just the simple math there.

Here's what I would do as a perfect lease:
Start with 4x2. Who needs resale value when you're just working off the residual. There is probably a small hit to residual, but it won't be as big as the cost of adding 4x4. It doesn't sound like you need it, and if it turns out you do, well just lease your next one with 4x4.

2.7, or even the base 3.5 motor. The base motor is all you need. It's a great motor that I personally would get. Generally there are some ecoboost factory discounts that make the numbers look better on a lease though, nearly making the 2.7 a free upgrade.

Packages!!! I've got too much going on today look into it for you, but anytime there is a package discount it is huge for a lease. Sometimes making a more expensive truck lease for less monthly payments than a cheaper one. At the very least, you'll get more stuff per dollar.

The deals you'll get from a dealer are typically the same year round. I know some people don't like to believe that, and maybe at some dealers that isn't the case. Here in the mid Atlantic area there are so many options that we all are happy making a few bucks on each deal. I start by offering most of my units for about $500 over what we post on TrueCar. This is my wiggle room for accessories or giving myself a little actual profit. The big changes to watch throughout the year are rebates. For 15 and 16 Ford has given much better rebates on XLT vs the high line trucks. Rebates are good now for XLT, but not quite OMG.

One and two year old vehicles are break even at best. It's very hard to find a "good deal" on a used vehicle. I've beating several deals that folks came to me with to show a "good deal" and refused to buy new, until I sold them a new truck, equipped effectively the same, for less money. No smoke and mirrors, just the retail value of used trucks is stupid compared to a typical new truck deal. An exception MIGHT be had if you find a CPO with 5k or less miles. You might still pay darn close to brand new, but that will come with the 7 year 100k warranty and 4-48k on the bumper to bumper. Otherwise, crunch the numbers and there isn't much value on used.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:41 AM
hsfbfan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't use a truck as a truck very often, but growing up in Oklahoma and now living in Texas, I've always driven trucks. I have the XLT 302A package with 2.7 ecoboost 4x2.

I researched getting 4x4 for resale and the cost of buying it new and the resale value are about the same. If you don't need 4x4 I wouldn't get it. It will ride a little rougher.

I love the 2.7! I had a 5.0 as a loaner while getting the spray in bedliner done and there is no comparison. It has more power and gets better gas mileage.

If I was making a purchase like this for the reasons you are making them, I'd get a new truck. I'd order it if I had to to get the exact truck I wanted.

I had a regular cab truck before the super crew I have now and it was a big difference parking. The back up camera is a godsend!.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:10 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts
We have the 2015 XLT, super-crew, long box (6-1/2'), 4x4. It's a relatively long vehicle at a few inches over 20' (20' 4" IIRC). If you're not used to that size vehicle, it can take some getting used to. We like to joke that we have to phone ahead to make a u-turn. That said, I use it for my DD, and we do not own a sedan any more; we're an all-truck family.

We felt the same way about a leather interior, but I didn't want to pay the premium for Lariat versus XLT. The dealer offered that they could upgrade the XLT to leather for $950, so we went with that. Real happy with that decision, as the after market leather seems superior to the factory leather. Lots more choices with color too, as we did not really want the black leather interior. We got a silver-gray color that is a close match to the exterior paint.

Good luck on your search!

Old 03-11-2016, 04:40 PM
JKBrad
Received 808 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by GlueGuy
We have the 2015 XLT, super-crew, long box (6-1/2'), 4x4. It's a relatively long vehicle at a few inches over 20' (20' 4" IIRC). If you're not used to that size vehicle, it can take some getting used to. We like to joke that we have to phone ahead to make a u-turn.
No kidding on SuperCrew 6.5' bed trucks! This thing has a terrible turning radius. My Super Duty turned much tighter.

The XLT Sport cloth interior is pretty nice actually. I haven't liked cloth seats since the material was changed sometime around 2005. The cloth seats of the last 10 years would stain very easy and wore poorly.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:30 PM
MadWolf
Tuned
2016 Ford F-150 Full Size Pickup Truck | View All Specifications | Ford.com There's the full 16' specs for you. Are you going to do a custom order?

Since you said this is about passion over practicality... I'd get one of these two engines..
5.0 = 385hp/387tq
3.5EB = 365hp/420tq
and...

3.73 axle ratio, and trailer tow package, if you get the 5.0
3.55 axle ratio, and max tow package, if you get the 3.5EB

Then you said the crew cab, 5.5 bed. And I'd add the FX4 package, extended range fuel tank, wheel well liner, trailer brake controller, and the rest of the options are really down to personal preference.

I'm 35, and I used to be an IT guy too.. But I've always been into vehicles.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:59 PM
DannyFullpint
New User
Thanks for all the feedback, I think the first thing I need to do is test drive one.

Does anyone have insight if Ford will change the look of the 2017? I like the way the '15 and '16 look, but not a fan of the '14.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:25 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
the '17s won't be dramatically different in appearance, still in the same cycle.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:48 AM
01EXC
Freshman User
It Kinda sounds to me like your settling, If I were you Id wait. If owning that truck is really what you have wanted since uncle Mark Had one, then I'd put in 100% of my effort to get it. Get a Number you want, lets say $10,000 make a date by when you plan to have that money, and save money putting it towards your goal. do the math and make cuts where applicable, for x amount of time to reach your goal. after you have the money, know exactly what your looking for, whether it being a 5.0 4x4 black on black etc, After that, find the most populated city around you, maybe san Francisco, idk I'm from texas lol, then go looking there first.what I have learned when buying vehicles is that in larger cities the prices are lower due to competition I'm guessing... idk to me it just doesn't sound like you want this truck to trade it in for another one. unless you do want to be trading it in every year for the latest model, I also know a few of those people.lol

Quick Reply: Shopping for a '16 Lariat