6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

A Little Work On The 06

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 03:41 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
A Little Work On The 06

Hey Guys,

Well after 2 years of putting things off I'm finally going to tear into the truck. Ive started working on it already. As some of you may remember about 4 years ago the EGR/Oil Cooler went on the truck, replaced under my ESP and later down the road I found that they destroyed the intake by stripping out 1 of the elbow bosses and epoxied the stud in.

So I decided that I would get a good used intake and have it cleaned and checked. Got that done going to delete the EGR cooler, reseal the injectors, make sure that I have the updated STC fitting (I have an 05 engine). I am going to installed new nipple cup seals, stand pipes, dummy plugs, and reseal my injectors (I have a #6 Contribution Code), also plan on sending the FICM to Ed for a health check and Atlas 40, new thermostat and hoses, 6.4 Banjo bolts Ive had laying around, I may tackle my FASS system now or I may wait until the heads need to come off, lastly I'm gonna replace all of the glow plugs and both harnesses.

So here are the things I'm not sure I should replace. I was thinking about installed a new oil cooler, I have no reason to believe there is an issue, deltas were running around 7* or so, but I'm thinking I'm that far into it why not. Also I was thinking about a wicked wheel, just not sure of any gains as I already have a Power Max. I'm also not sure what I'm going to do as far as coolant, been using the Ford Gold for 76k not I flush every 3 years and so far no issues so I'm open to suggestions...Ill snap some pictures along the way.

Any input or suggestions post them up here.

Thanks,

Sarge

Old 01-24-2016, 04:23 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Sarge,the intakes that Antony has look pretty dapper. I'd check him out and see how much he's getting.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:10 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Thanks,

But as much as I'd like to spend spend spend, I'm trying to stick to somewhat of a budget here, I'm thinking I still have a transmission issue that needs to be addressed, so I may bite the bullet and spend a good chunk of money there. That's the only reason I'm not pulling the cab and doing the heads, that and the HG's show no signs of failure.

But I'm going to head over there and check them out just 'cause I'm curious to see them now.

Sarge

Old 01-28-2016, 03:36 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Bump TTT

I've got the truck mostly disassembled, gonna start making the parts list. Anything I'm missing or you guys think I should hit will I'm in there, now's the time to chime in.

Sarge

Old 01-29-2016, 12:17 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
If it were me and the nipples are good and snug in there sockets I
would not change the O-rings. I have had both oil rails off 2 times so far
and all is snug and no marks on the nipples. So they stayed in. Sort of
a sleeping dog thing.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 01-29-2016, 10:17 AM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I would not replace the oil cooler or the nipple cup seals if they are not bad. I also would not thouch the injectors if they are sealed up good, except for the bad one, just my .02.

I do think it would be a good idea to replace the glow plugs and harness's, as well as the STC fitting along with the stand pipes and dummy plugs.

Not to sure about the wicked wheel, it may provide some gains but could raise EGTs.

Looking forward to seeing your updates.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:29 AM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarge261
Thanks,

But as much as I'd like to spend spend spend, I'm trying to stick to somewhat of a budget here, I'm thinking I still have a transmission issue that needs to be addressed, so I may bite the bullet and spend a good chunk of money there. That's the only reason I'm not pulling the cab and doing the heads, that and the HG's show no signs of failure.

But I'm going to head over there and check them out just 'cause I'm curious to see them now.

Sarge
If you have an injector or 2 acting up, it can feel like tranmission problems. What kind of symptoms are you getting?

I wouldn't change out the oil cooler, but i would install a coolant filter, if you have not already. I bought my truck with a new oil cooler with a delta of 4. Over the course of 3 months, it steadily went up to 8-10. I installed a coolant filter and in 6 months, my delta has not risen any more. The first 2 filter changes resulted in scary looking filters. The 3rd filter looked almost new when i changed it. I went with the XDP kit.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:46 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Only reason I was going to reseal all the injectors is I was in a hurry when I installed them and I know I did tear #6 a little bit but I needed to get the truck put back together for vacation and I just wanted to peak at the others to make sure I didn't do the same to another 1 while the truck was down.

I was thinking the same way on the Oil cooler, but if it isn't broke I wont touch it, I guess I really just wanted to see how the screen looked, as it would give me a pretty good idea of whats going on in the engine, and I was of the mentality if its torn down this far why not.

I may just pull the oil cooler and have a look at the screen and go from there.

Sarge

Old 02-09-2016, 08:05 AM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Any updates?

Would like to see what you did and how you went about doing it since I am getting ready to do almost the same thing.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:13 AM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
If your going the do the fuel pump with some of the money your going to save not doing some things, how about a regulated return?

Old 02-10-2016, 07:31 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
I've basically got the truck torn down to the valve covers. It was busy at work so I didn't have a lot of time to work on it. Things are slowing down now so I will get back at it soon. I didn't want to pull the injectors and just leave them on the bench, I wanted to reseal everything and get the valve covers back on the same day.

As far as issues I've found along the way, the intake gaskets were torn on the passenger side bank, and well I knew about the stripped elbow stud, but there failed attempt at a fix was awesome, they just used threaded rod and well, the elbow was leaking as well so I'm glad I acquired a new intake. Just need to get the IPR off, STC, and see if I have the new or old fitting, install new O-rings and screens, send my FICM off to Ed, and replace some glow plugs. I also found a couple of pinched wires in my injector harness so I wound up picking up a new 1 instead of trying to repair the old 1. Also I have to get the pipe out of the exhaust for the EGR cooler and install the delete pipe there, which I'm not looking foreword too, I don't have the truck on a lift so I'm pretty much working like I would in a regular home garage, but that's the only thing I really need it on a lift for anyway.

As far as a RR return any idea on what I should use that would work in conjunction with my FASS.

Sarge

Old 02-10-2016, 08:07 AM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
There is a bunch of them out there,it all depends on what you want to do later with the truck(some guys start to get crazy with HP mods) I'd go with who ever gives ya the best deal if your staying stock.(I think Rif Raf has one if I recall) I'm gonna build my own cause I have access to a machine to made the hoses and my buddy get a discount from Keystone.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:20 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
I don't plan on going HP crazy, this truck still needs to be able to tow my 5er and be reliable. Maybe I will call up Riff Raff and see what they have. I'm not even sure I'm going to tackle the FASS system. My plan is to do the HG's next year, so I will have the cab off. I'm just putting it off because my fear is that I have a internal tranny issue, once I get all this work done, my buddy who owns a tranny shop is going to take a ride with me and data log my issue with his Modus and see what exactly it is that I am feeling.

Sarge

Old 02-10-2016, 08:24 AM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
i thought I was having a tranny issue too.......it was the rear ,believe it or not. These trucks have a bunch of rear problems(or so I have read).Good luck on the build!

Old 02-10-2016, 08:29 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Its defiantly the tranny, its got a weird flare and a clunk...although I suspect that the clunk is in the drive shaft. I just need to pull it apart and grease it.

Sarge

Quick Reply: A Little Work On The 06