Sponsored by: Moser

window issue...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 10:29 PM
katzklaw
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
window issue...

just a little question this time... when i bought my truck a year ago, the driver's side window track had no felt in it, just a bare metal channel. that window goes down easily, but hangs every 3/4 to full turn of the crank or so going back up. the glass doesn't tilt or anything... it goes back up straight, but the **** will stop turning, and no amount of muscle will force it up... you have to let off (almost spin it back down around 1/8 of a turn sometimes) and then start cranking again.

because at the time my bank account amount was hovering somewhere between zilch and nil i just stuck some craft felt into the channel, and that *seemed* to help, for exactly one day. then it was back to crank crank hang, crank hang, crank crank hang, etc.

i'm *guessing* the answer is "Katz quit being a cheaparse and buy the correct window track felt and it'll work", but i'm wondering if there's anything else i should/could check that might, if not fix it, at least make it work a little easier till i CAN get the correct replacements?

Old 01-11-2016, 10:56 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pull the door panel and oil/grease everything and anything that moves regarding the window mech. Worked for mine and I don't have any felt.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:12 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mountain dewd
Pull the door panel and oil/grease everything and anything that moves regarding the window mech. Worked for mine and I don't have any felt.
Agreed, I believe it has to do with the actual lifting / lowering arm, you may even notice the plastic slides are worn and binding.

I need to do the same to my rig...

Old 01-12-2016, 06:11 AM
vtpkrat2
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Yup, the felt missing might make it rattle a bit but the cranking regulator is possibly the cause. Remove the door panel and check all verticle channels and be aware of bad or missing teeth on the regulator. Good luck!

Old 01-12-2016, 08:16 AM
Wyofordguy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a small gear in the regulator and if it breaks the pieces stay in there so it will make them bind up.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:33 PM
katzklaw
Senior User
i got motivated to check my window today (have a cold, so just been chillin for the last few days). took the door apart and found this:

(please ignore my oh so stylish plaid pants... blame the aforementioned cold)
the bottom track and the roller looked to be coated it some sort of yellow gunk... and it was sticky to the touch. i scrubbed it off best i could, and checked the vertical channels (they appeared clean), then squirted the bottom track and the crank area with some lube... it works now. still a little stiff and squeaky, but it doesn't bind anymore at least.

the roller wheel in the bottom track isn't broken, but it doesn't rotate smoothly either. that's probably not helping. but for now, i'll mark it down as a successful temporary fix. thanks guys

next minor repair on the chopping block is figuring out how to rewire the radio so it doesn't loose it's little mind when i shut the truck off (dang PO wired it wrong), and wiring in the replacement cigarette lighter (PO removed it for some reason, and i need something to charge my cell phone with!)

Old 01-14-2016, 12:08 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
No worries, they're just about the same as my PJ pants LOL.

Glad it helped a little.

Fixing the PO's wiring can be a full time job.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:13 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by AK FORD GUY
No worries, they're just about the same as my PJ pants LOL.

Glad it helped a little.

Fixing the PO's wiring can be a full time job.
I put one of them xo or xao head units in my 75 and went to start it one day and it caught fire from inside the radio, i sugest putting a pioneer or known brand in no matter the cost. could have burn my truck to the ground.....

Old 01-14-2016, 12:25 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Skip1970
I put one of them xo or xao head units in my 75 and went to start it one day and it caught fire from inside the radio, i sugest putting a pioneer or known brand in no matter the cost. could have burn my truck to the ground.....
That would suck over a radio!

Old 01-14-2016, 02:30 PM
katzklaw
Senior User
it's got a Sony in it, but the PO wired it screwed up so that it shuts off completely and loses it's memory when i shut off the ignition. i got in there and dug around a bit today and got it so it turns on and off appropriately with the ignition AND keeps it's memory... i think something is still wrong, because the panel that shows what station i'm on is very dim, and when i shut the truck off the speakers beep a couple times, but otherwise, seems ok. also wired in the replacement lighter socket while i was in there anyway

next project: help hubby replace the broken vacuum switch, and figure out where the one orphan vacuum hose goes.