1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Egr delete....a good idea or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 05:34 PM
Gordon Steel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Egr delete....a good idea or bad?

I've had my 99 F250 for about 2 weeks and my SES light came on last week. I took it into AutoZone and they read the code. DPFE sensor EGR etc. The kid behind the counter mentioned something about removing those and saving some money. My question is has anyone done it and what success have you had? I live in Indiana and we dont have any emissions testing. I dont want to take any short cuts really, but if its un nessesary to have than why not delete it. I have the 5.4 and it has 189,000 miles and we did buy the truck to haul the camper so that plays into the scenario also.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:48 PM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordon Steel
I've had my 99 F250 for about 2 weeks and my SES light came on last week. I took it into AutoZone and they read the code. DPFE sensor EGR etc. The kid behind the counter mentioned something about removing those and saving some money. My question is has anyone done it and what success have you had? I live in Indiana and we dont have any emissions testing. I dont want to take any short cuts really, but if its un nessesary to have than why not delete it. I have the 5.4 and it has 189,000 miles and we did buy the truck to haul the camper so that plays into the scenario also.

I would think deleting DPFE sensor and EGR will cause drivability issues? Maybe a tuner would solve that problem.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:53 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Since it is not a diesel engine the delete to me is unnecessary. I had the same problem on one of my 5.4 work vans. The shop charged a few hundred bucks to fix it. I'm sure an egr delete and a tuner would cost more. I've never heard or seen an egr delete for a 5.4...

Old 12-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Dillon Ance
New User
egr delete is almost a must. I love when a customer drops a truck off and it is either non equipped or has been deleted. Head gasket jobs suck when everything is coated in carbon! Tuning also does not always stop it either. It is best to do both tune and block plate to stop it

Old 12-12-2015, 04:33 PM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by don123
I would think deleting DPFE sensor and EGR will cause drivability issues? Maybe a tuner would solve that problem.
Not all gas trucks had the DPFE sensor or EGR. In fact, most early North American-market trucks that weren't destined for California or Canada didn't. My 2000 Excursion has neither DPFE nor EGR.

I have an early-99 myself. It had burned-up the DPFE sensor shortly after I got it. I just plugged the two tubing lines and unplugged the harness connector. That was supposed to be a temporary fix until I could afford to replace it. Over 3 years later, I still haven't replaced it and have had zero driveability issues.

BUT since the ECM expects a reading from the DPFE sensor, the engine light stays on. I'm not sure if there's a way to delete that sensor from the computer, but the factory could (and did) on most of the early trucks produced.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:18 PM
finn
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The ignition timing map is developed with a functioning EGR valve. Removing the egr valve will result in detonation / knock / pinging at part load because the timing will now be too far advanced. (Inert, i.e. oxygen depleted, gas slows flame travel: Egr is an inert gas)

If you are smarter than the calibrators at Ford, who do engine mapping for a living, I suppose you can delete it.

Been there / done that 30 years ago.

I don't recommend it.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:09 PM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's why I didn't answer about the EGR valve- I still have mine and don't know what it would be like without it on vehicles equipped with it. The DPFE, on the other hand- I've had zero problems without it, other than a dash light and code. No decreases in MPG, no rough running, no knocking... other than the dash light, I see no change whatsoever after 3 years.

Maybe if someone really wanted to delete the EGR and DPFE without issues, they could swap in a ECM from a 49-state truck that didn't have them from the factory.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:00 AM
Griffin050905
New User
97 ford expedition 5.4 2v

Originally Posted by RainDesert
Since it is not a diesel engine the delete to me is unnecessary. I had the same problem on one of my 5.4 work vans. The shop charged a few hundred bucks to fix it. I'm sure an egr delete and a tuner would cost more. I've never heard or seen an egr delete for a 5.4...
I done an egr delete to my expedition with no tuner. I have no ses light, no I'll affects what so ever.I have better runability, better fuel economy and better get up and go.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:03 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never had an issue on any of the 5.4 trucks I own...so never really even had a thought about doing a delete. In guess the real question is what are the costs and benefits of buying a new egr valve to deleting it.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:11 AM
Griffin050905
New User
Originally Posted by Pocketlint
Never had an issue on any of the 5.4 trucks I own...so never really even had a thought about doing a delete. In guess the real question is what are the costs and benefits of buying a new egr valve to deleting it.
it really never crossed my mind until I lost power and it started to choke out during hard acceleration and terrible millage.I discovered it by accident btw....it was running real bad so I pulled over and discovered the egr tube to manifold was split.I was going to go buy a new one so I took off the tube, capped the manifold and unplugged the valve and what ya know it ran better.No ses light nothing.to this day it runs like new with 220,000 miles on it

Old 10-07-2019, 04:01 PM
Steve_F
Junior User
Originally Posted by Psyclopse
Not all gas trucks had the DPFE sensor or EGR. In fact, most early North American-market trucks that weren't destined for California or Canada didn't. My 2000 Excursion has neither DPFE nor EGR.

I have an early-99 myself. It had burned-up the DPFE sensor shortly after I got it. I just plugged the two tubing lines and unplugged the harness connector. That was supposed to be a temporary fix until I could afford to replace it. Over 3 years later, I still haven't replaced it and have had zero driveability issues.

BUT since the ECM expects a reading from the DPFE sensor, the engine light stays on. I'm not sure if there's a way to delete that sensor from the computer, but the factory could (and did) on most of the early trucks produced.
How exactly did you delete the egr? I have a 2003 expedition 4.6 with egr codes and I’d rather just disconnect and concentrate on other things that need to be fixed.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:27 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
I purchased a block off for when the Header's finally go on my 99 V10 F250. It does show for 5.4 and 6.8 2V's. I'd verify or maybe locate one for your 4.6.

Would also be better to start your own thread in the appropriate section.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...gr-delete.html

https://m.ebay.com/itm/EGR-Block-off...a-f894d104e98f