6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Heater hose part # and installation help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 07:46 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
It also was stress loaded by the weight of the ball valve not in the original design.
Both y fittongs on mine were leaking before I ever added valves. The firewall heater core fitting too.

Old 09-03-2019, 01:44 PM
rick_johnson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy

Both y fittongs on mine were leaking before I ever added valves. The firewall heater core fitting too.
I also will be replacing my Y (Wye) fitting with one similar; if not the same as yours SmackDaddy. May I ask what the valve is for/purpose? Having it implies you can shut off the flow of coolant as needed thus the inquiry.

Thanks !

Old 09-03-2019, 02:42 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rick_johnson
I also will be replacing my Y (Wye) fitting with one similar; if not the same as yours SmackDaddy. May I ask what the valve is for/purpose? Having it implies you can shut off the flow of coolant as needed thus the inquiry.

Thanks !
You probably won’t find a fitting better or cheaper than this stainless one, that’s why so many guys bought and installed them. Don’t skimp on it or you’ll be having to redo it again. I searched for days and found this one. There’s a reason it’s made for maple syrup pricessing, it’s hard to find a fitting this shape, material and configuration.
The ball valves shut off hot coolant flow through the heater cores so the air conditioning blows colder. Excursions have two heater cores. The reason I installed two shutoffs was to COMPLETELY isolate the heater core loop versus just one shutoff on the inlet side. Open them in the cooler months and your heater can use the heater cores the way they were intended. The factory vacuum valve is supposed to shut coolant flow off with vacuum when the air conditioner is turned on Max Cool for the same purpose but doesn’t completely shut the flow off.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:25 PM
rick_johnson
New User
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
You probably won’t find a fitting better or cheaper than this stainless one, that’s why so many guys bought and installed them. Don’t skimp on it or you’ll be having to redo it again. I searched for days and found this one. There’s a reason it’s made for maple syrup pricessing, it’s hard to find a fitting this shape, material and configuration.
The ball valves shut off hot coolant flow through the heater cores so the air conditioning blows colder. Excursions have two heater cores. The reason I installed two shutoffs was to COMPLETELY isolate the heater core loop versus just one shutoff on the inlet side. Open them in the cooler months and your heater can use the heater cores the way they were intended. The factory vacuum valve is supposed to shut coolant flow off with vacuum when the air conditioner is turned on Max Cool for the same purpose but doesn’t completely shut the flow off.
With your reply I was able to temporarily insert a pvc 3/4 plug into the line pre-heater valve - to stop the truck from leaking all over the place. I actually called the Maple syrup gurus earlier today and ironically the one store was out of the product! They've contacted their other store to see if they have more in stock.
Questions:
1. Where exactly is your 2nd ball valve located? Degas bottle area?
2. What type of valve did use (barbed / threaded etc) and where did you purchase it from?

I'm in Ontario so I need to part out products as best I can locally.

Ford Canada wanted $482 (shipped from Miami) for the entire hose assembly from heater valve to firewall - NOT happening!

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2019, 10:31 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
With your reply I was able to temporarily insert a pvc 3/4 plug into the line pre-heater valve - to stop the truck from leaking all over the place. I actually called the Maple syrup gurus earlier today and ironically the one store was out of the product! They've contacted their other store to see if they have more in stock.
Questions:
2. What type of valve did use (barbed / threaded etc) and where did you purchase it from?

Ford Canada wanted $482 (shipped from Miami) for the entire hose assembly from heater valve to firewall - NOT happening!

Thanks!
If you end up getting the part from Ford give Ed a call. They ship across all the time and don't charge as much as Ford does for a Ford part.

Talk to Ed or Scott and let them know that you come from FTE.
FICMRepair.com - FORD Powerstroke 6.0 FICM Repair, PHP Tuning and Truck Parts

Old 09-04-2019, 05:58 AM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Questions:

Thanks!
Yes, the second valve is below the degas bottle on the outlet from rear heater core. The valve was purchased on Amazon and is a white handle barbed Apollo. It’s the only brass ball valve I could find with barbed fittings.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:23 AM
rick_johnson
New User
Appreciate the Feedback SmackDaddy. Your picture of the Passenger side of the Excursion is great - do you have a picture posted of your ball valve setup on the Degas side of things? If not , could you?
I'm going to be ordering both Wye adapters from the Syrup folks and save some headaches down the road. (3/4 x 3/4 x 3/4 - Heater & 1 x 1 x 3/4 - Degas). I'll be also looking for that 3/4 Apollo barbed valve you posted as no stores around here seem to carry a similar product.

Thanks !

Old 09-04-2019, 11:12 AM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Appreciate the Feedback SmackDaddy. Your picture of the Passenger side of the Excursion is great - do you have a picture posted of your ball valve setup on the Degas side of things? If not , could you?
I'm going to be ordering both Wye adapters from the Syrup folks and save some headaches down the road. (3/4 x 3/4 x 3/4 - Heater & 1 x 1 x 3/4 - Degas). I'll be also looking for that 3/4 Apollo barbed valve you posted as no stores around here seem to carry a similar product.

Thanks !
I’m not near my truck to get a real time photo but you can see it circled in green in this photo from when I pulled my motor to do a bunch of work recently.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:16 AM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster

Here’s a photo of the valves I used

Old 09-04-2019, 12:26 PM
rick_johnson
New User
yes, i've just found those valves on Amazon thank you.
If you have the opportunity for a real time pic it would be appreciated as I not sure i'm seeing what you're trying to point out to me (my eyes / pic won't zoom in etc).
Nonetheless I'm further ahead than i was before - both wye adapters are ordered and valves.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:33 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
yes, i've just found those valves on Amazon thank you.
If you have the opportunity for a real time pic it would be appreciated as I not sure i'm seeing what you're trying to point out to me (my eyes / pic won't zoom in etc).
Nonetheless I'm further ahead than i was before - both wye adapters are ordered and valves.
The hard line that runs behind engine on firewall from passenger side to driver’s side ties into a heater hose and then into the y under the degas bottle. Pop your hood and you will see where it is. Cut the hose and install the valve there. You can operate it by reaching under the degas bottle. You should only have to open and close these once a year between cold and warm seasons.