2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Installed SCT Tuner, K&N Cold Air Intake, next Exhaust... Recommendations??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 10:04 AM
EPI-911
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed SCT Tuner, K&N Cold Air Intake, next Exhaust... Recommendations??

So as it says above, since I have sold my Excursion... Sadly...

I am trying to get used to the anemic 5.4L non smoke pouring Expedition. I have a 2014 Expedition Limited Max, AKA EL. I installed the K&N Cold Air Intake and it sounds a whole lot better now, the SCT Tuner... Well that't a whole different story. I am truth be told a little disappointed online it said I could program it to be aware I have the CAI, and Exhaust but nowhere is there a way to adjust. All I have as a tuning option is 87, 91 and 93 Octane, remove Speed Limiter, Adjust Redline in drive and neutral, adjust tire size and rear gear. That's it. Can't adjust shift points or anything.

As far as the power seat of the pants feeling. Pretty much the same I drive a 5 or 6 thousand pound steel slug. But what I have noticed is that the shifts are a little better and quicker downshifts. But other than that I don't see or feel anything. Obviously I do know this is a Gas Not a Diesel Motor so making power is not as easy as once was on my 6.0L.

But I would like to change the exhaust still. So I am looking for something louder than the stock quite exhaust. I had a Flowmaster 40 series on my GT500 and loved it. But seems Flowmaster doesn't have anything in the form of a Cat Back Kit for the Expedition and my only options are either Gibson or Magnaflow.

So who builds a better sounding kit, which will not be prone to fast rusting being as I live in Canada and that white stuff they call salt and snow go hand in hand.

Anyone have experience with the Gibson?? Price wise its coming it as $900 shipped to my house, versus the Magnaflow $1,100 shipped to my door as well. So is there anything worth the extra money for the Magnaflow? I have read online that some people love the gibson and others say its not much louder than stock, then I have found reviews of the Magnaflow being very quick and just a rumble louder.

I want something to wake up the neighbors because I am planing on keeping the truck for at least 6 years, maybe longer if it lasts seeing as Ford in their infinite wisdom, stupidity and outright ignorance IMHO Ignored customers who want an Excursion, and a V8 or Diesel SUV. Which if Ford doesn't get their act together and start to offer more than the retarded turbo'd V6's that DO NOT Get Better Fuel Economy as they claim they are making them for I will be going to Ram and getting a Diesel 1500 and converting it to a SUV. But Yeah Thats my Rant for the Day LOL, Back on topic what is the experience with the Exhaust. What would you recommend?

Old 09-20-2015, 08:26 PM
hookd
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed the Gibson cat back today, sounds awesome and completes the package with the Spectre CAI I put on last weekend. It sounds great and wife wife is happy it doesn't have the annoying resonance in the car that allot of aftermarket exhaust create. I hope I to see some fuel savings as soon as I can keep my foot out of it.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:25 AM
EPI-911
Senior User
Originally Posted by hookd
I installed the Gibson cat back today, sounds awesome and completes the package with the Spectre CAI I put on last weekend. It sounds great and wife wife is happy it doesn't have the annoying resonance in the car that allot of aftermarket exhaust create. I hope I to see some fuel savings as soon as I can keep my foot out of it.
Would you say it's loud or just a little bit louder than stock. I'm looking for something that's about as loud as my Mustang was before I put the Flowmaster 40 series on her. But not quite as loud as the Flowmaster because this is my daily driver lol.

Right now I'm down to the Magnaflow of Gibson kit but I've been reading allot of reviews who say that the Gibson isn't much louder than stock. Which kinda is a disappointment is true and will eliminate the Gibson from my choice but I've not been able to find any reviews on the sound out of the Magnaflow system so it's really a gamble lol

Old 09-21-2015, 08:34 AM
hookd
Senior User
Originally Posted by EPI-911
Would you say it's loud or just a little bit louder than stock. I'm looking for something that's about as loud as my Mustang was before I put the Flowmaster 40 series on her. But not quite as loud as the Flowmaster because this is my daily driver lol.

Right now I'm down to the Magnaflow of Gibson kit but I've been reading allot of reviews who say that the Gibson isn't much louder than stock. Which kinda is a disappointment is true and will eliminate the Gibson from my choice but I've not been able to find any reviews on the sound out of the Magnaflow system so it's really a gamble lol
I would say it's the perfect level for us, if your going for the wake the neighbors sound your going to be disappointed. My brother in law has a mustang and I would say it's pretty close to the same level. Imo if it was any louder it would be really annoying inside the car when your pulling hills at low speeds. If you want I can try and record some audio of it in the next couple of days and upload it for you

Old 09-21-2015, 03:06 PM
svfetter
Junior User
I have the K&N Intake along with the Gibson Exhaust on my 2011 XLT. The sound is only a little louder than stock. My 2000 XLT Gibson was a little louder which I liked but a lot of it has to do with these transmissions keeping the engine at a lower RPM which keeps the sound lower. Generally speaking I am happy with mine.

Sounds like you may not be so happy with the tuner. I went with the Hypertech which adds somewhere in the area of 35 HP. And yes I could feel the difference. I am quite pleased with both the performance and gas mileage. Mileage is not a lot over the stock but I feel it is maybe a mile to a mile and a half better than before. Even better than that when towing on a long trip.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:45 PM
hookd
Senior User
That's disappointing to hear about the tuner, did it have 5 star tunes on it or was it from another sales house? I was planning on picking up an sct with 5 star tunes but if there isn't noticeable gains I will go with the Hypertech.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:57 AM
svfetter
Junior User
Originally Posted by hookd
That's disappointing to hear about the tuner, did it have 5 star tunes on it or was it from another sales house? I was planning on picking up an sct with 5 star tunes but if there isn't noticeable gains I will go with the Hypertech.

Not sure what you mean by 5 star tunes?? You had a choice of what octaine you planned to run but there was virtually no hp increase between the regular and premium so I went with the regular gas setting. It does have the adjustments for the shift in making them firmer. I could maybe tell a little difference but not a lot

Old 09-22-2015, 11:52 AM
hookd
Senior User
I spend most of my time on the diesel forums and I've heard allot of great things about 5 stars custom tunes. I have also heard good things about their 5.4 tunes and thats why I plan on going with them.

Ford 04-14 Expedition 4.6L/5.4L Archives - 5 Star Tuning

5 star uses an SCT flash device to load their tunes on so I was wondering if you were running SCT caned tunes or 5 stars custom tunes? You can google the 5 star vs sct tunes to look at some comparisons.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:16 PM
wy4525
Junior User
Originally Posted by svfetter
Not sure what you mean by 5 star tunes?? You had a choice of what octaine you planned to run but there was virtually no hp increase between the regular and premium so I went with the regular gas setting. It does have the adjustments for the shift in making them firmer. I could maybe tell a little difference but not a lot
5 star programs custom tuning taylor made for your vehicle, I believe they deal with ecoboosts and 5.4l mostly. A tuner bought from SCT will only have some "canned" tunes available on it, they are disappointing for the most part. You will want to order a tuner from someone like 5 star with their custom tunes loaded onto the SCT tuner, in the diesel world you would go with someone like Gearhead, Spartan, or KEM.