Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Rust Removal

Old 07-06-2017, 03:21 PM
NewEnglander
Elder User
NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.
Cool I'll give it a try. In the mean time I went to get it inspected and failed because I was missing a tailpipe (lol) and the front shock bushings were toast. Easy fixes, tailpipe is already back on, I got 1 shock replaced and having some issues with the lower shock bracket and the shot not wanting to seat correctly, but otherwise all is good.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:59 PM
NewEnglander
Elder User
NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.NewEnglander has a very good reputation on FTE.
Alrighty guys I'm back at it. I've driven the truck here and there throughout the summer. Enjoyed plenty of times with the top off but it's back to being in the garage for the winter and officially off the road. I need to tackle some more problem areas...all of the body mounts and radiator core support. It's also in need of coil buckets and front brake lines, but plan on tackling the body mounts and radiator core support first. I got pretty much the whole front end torn apart with the exception of the radiators. I'm going to leave those in but will hang them up so I don't need to deal with removing any of that. One of the previous owners attempted their own core support repair but that has only lasted so long. I know the mounts are going to be a major PITA on this whole truck so any tips or tricks would be great. I don't have any torches but most likely will buy a saw-zall for this. Even thought about having the drill the bolts out to make it easier. Anyways here's some pics of what I'm dealing with. It looks like I will have to weld up some new body metal to where all the body mounts are. I may just get some thick metal squares and tack weld them in place.

I'm also in the process of possibly looking at getting another Bronco from down south, something with maybe a dead drivetrain but solid body...we'll see...

Old 12-11-2018, 08:12 PM
Skip1970
Post Fiend
Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
thatsa good looking bronco. congrats.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:31 AM
AbandonedBronco
AbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to allAbandonedBronco is a name known to all
I admire anyone who can tackle rust like that. Body work is a skill I simply don't have!
Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:56 AM
NewEnglander
Elder User
It's still a skill I don't have haha. It took me a lot of time working on the panels, and at a distance you can't see my lines only when you get right up front you can see the lines. Fixing these body mounts will test more of my welding skills. Plus with seeing how the prices in these trucks are going up since Ford is releasing a 2020 Bronco, I'm more willing to fix mine rather than looking for an overpriced one from down south.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:28 AM
NewEnglander
Elder User
Made some more progress last night. Got the whole radiator core out. One body mount was broke at the actual mount so that was no issue to get out. The right side mount was broken at the core mount so it stayed attached to the frame when I pulled the core mount out, managed to get the bolts loose enough that I think I can get a saw-zall in there to do the rest. Took about 4 hours to do including grabbing tools, few breaks and labeling the non broken bolts. I did break a few of the 10mm and 8mm so I'll either replace them with just standard SAE bolts that I buy in bulk since metric bolts I haven't been able to find in bulk. Once I buy a new body mount bushings I'll look at reinforcing the existing body mounts. They have flaked quite a bit so I may weld a washer underneath the eye hole for support.

I saw someone else leave all the radiators in place and hang them up, so that's what I did. Saved myself a hell of alot more work. I used the hanger I built that I used to remove the cap. Worked good.

And it's been so nice doing this in the garage during the winter. It stays about 41-47 degrees in there during the winter. Perfect working conditions in my opinion.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:41 AM
Skip1970
Post Fiend
Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
i agree, i love working in 50f anymore then that and its too hot.and colder then 32 sucks since the tools are too cold to hold bare handed.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:51 PM
1990FRANKENTRUCK
Freshman User
1990FRANKENTRUCK is starting off with a positive reputation.
As far as body mount bolts go, I've always found it easiest to buy all new ones, and then zap all the old ones off with an impact. Whether it comes off or snaps off, it usually comes. Every now and then you get one that just strips and spins, and those ones I cut with a cutoff wheel, usually through the old body mount, while supporting everything with jacks / stands so the cutoff wheel doesn't get pinched.

Nice body work and paint work though! I am a bit envious, as that is one of the big hurdles I plan on tackling with my Bronco, when the day comes. Mine is also black, and so it was exciting seeing all of your progress! It looks great!

Old 12-15-2018, 08:03 PM
RalphXL
Senior User
RalphXL is starting off with a positive reputation.
On my 1979 f 150.

Rotted out the hole on the frame. I had to weld in new metal for the mount to sit on. Surprisingly the metal on the body was fine. Just the metal on the frame rotted, probably moisture got stuck between the rubber bushing and the frame. I have a '79 bronco also, the mounts were so bad on that, well actually the whole floor was so bad I cut it out and made a new one. Stupid northeast rust.

Jess

Old 12-17-2018, 11:47 AM
NewEnglander
Elder User
That looks like a lot of work as well. I have a ton of large washers so I plan on doing the same that you did the with body mounts and weld them on the existing. I will atleast do this with the radiator core support mounts as those mounts are actually welded the frame. The rest of them around the truck I'll just remove the old frame mounts and bolt up new ones. It'll take a bit to grind the rivets and punch them out, not really a difficult task just takes time.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:56 AM
NewEnglander
Elder User
Just a little update...spend about hour and half last night working on more stuff. I need to change out the coil bucket as well and change out rotor + brakes. So I tore the passenger hub out, I've done this so many times I had it torn down in about 10 mins. I didn't have time to check the axle outer U-joint but it looks pretty beat up, the rubber is all cracked and probably grease is dried up. I may change it out since I'm down to the spindle (I'll have to be careful with the spindle bolts but half expect to replace them too). I also got the body mount bracket removed from the frame that sits behind the front seats. Air hammer + chisel FTW! I'll be pricing out bushings soon + bracket and radiator core support. I'll probably replace the coil bucket last.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:17 PM
NewEnglander
Elder User
Another update, now that we're past the holidays and don't have a house full I finally got back into working on the truck. I picked up a bunch of parts and torn down more stuff. Spindle is off and axle shaft pulled. The U-joint was pretty toast. I ordered a Ujoint/Ball joint press and picked up new U joint and Moog ball joints. I had some "fun" with the first U-joint but accidentally over pressed the ujoint and blew the top of one of the caps up. So ended up getting another new one and replaced that one with caution . I ended up soaking the ball joints pretty good over the course of a week. The top ball joint came off with no hesitation with the impact gun. The lower nut was a but tougher, I ended up bending my torque wrench with a pipe but the nut did loosen without breaking anything surprisingly. Used a ball joint fork and a hammer and a few hits to the lower joint the whole knuckle came right now. Next step will be pressing out the old ball joints and installing the new ones.

When I had my mechanic replace these about 6 years ago I had him installed an adjustable camber/caster bushing. I will leave these in place and will have him do a fresh alignments since you can still remove them with the ball joints installed. Otherwise just slowing chugging along.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:23 PM
Skip1970
Post Fiend
thats a breaker bar not a torque wrench, you should never put a cheater on a t orque wrench, i love projects like these as i can relate to working on stuff that should have been in the landfill years ago also. keep on the good fight, we are rooting for ya!

Old 01-13-2019, 04:34 PM
NewEnglander
Elder User
Thank you my mistake must have had torque wrench on my mind, I would have never put a torque wrench under that much stress.Thanks for the support! Taking my time with it and enjoying the wrenching! More work to be done tomorrow night.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:29 AM
NewEnglander
Elder User
Hope you guys don't mind these small updates...I like to share the whole process because I hope it can help anyone going through the same or similar process. Plus if anyone has questions I can hopefully answer and help...

Last night I just assembled some more pieces with new parts. Didn't do much tearing down on the truck itself.

Out with the old! I pressed out the old ball joints on the passenger side steering knuckle, these came out with relative ease. I had more issue with fumbling around with the different pieces of the press.

In with the new! I had Moog ball joints in previously so I'm putting in the same. The old ones weren't to bad, when I checked them with the tire on there was a small amount of play but I think still worth of passing inspections. But since I tore all the way down to the axle ujoint figured best to just put new ones in.

New ones completely pressed in and ready to go. I'm setting aside the steering knuckle until I change out the coil bucket so that's why I put the nuts on so I don't loose them.

New rotor installed as well. I purchased new inner and outer bearings as well. They're cheap enough to replace though the old ones still seemed good. All new seals will be installed as well. That's pretty much it for last nights work. I'll probably be doing some more middle of the week.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project Rust Removal

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.