Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Ford F-250 Engine Failure

Old 07-15-2015, 12:30 AM
Cable Guy
Junior User
Cable Guy is starting off with a positive reputation.

Well my worst nightmare happened. My beloved 2011 F-250 Crew Cab Lariat FX4 ate itself at 113,700 miles. The service manager sited TSB-14-0127. Based on computer readings at this point, the mechanic said a glow plug tip broke off and destroyed the engine. The only other problems I've had since purchasing this truck new in December of 2011 was an XM radio module failure under warranty, a coolant leak (fitting, cheap fix), and an exhaust temp sensor failure that shut the truck down. I had just pulled onto an interstate from an on ramp and got into a lane, and then the truck just lost power and started to shutter slightly. At least I was able to get out of the road in one piece.

I contacted Ford since it was out of warranty, to see if they would cover it. It took about a week for a response. I didn't get a no, unfortunately, it wasn't a yes either. They offered $4500 in assistance on an estimated 13,000 + repair bill. I guess I was lucky, based on most of the other cases I have read about on this forum, but I sure don't feel lucky.

I bought this truck because I put a lot of miles on my work vehicle and I thought this diesel would hopefully last for 2 or 3 hundred thousand miles if I took care of it. It still looks new.

Anyway, just wanted to warn others out there about the early builds of the 2011 models, I have seen this on this forum since my failure, but it was too late for me. I'm thinking about trying to get a new truck, but honestly I'm am now afraid of the Fords.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:11 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
not sure what that TSB is...but the valves are what the issue is on the 2011's. Glow plug being broke is the check.

found it I believe:
Date: 2014-07-03 Bulletin #: TSB-14-0127
Compenent: 350000 EQUIPMENT
FORD: DUE TO A BROKEN EXHAUST VALVE, ON SOME TRUCKS, IT WOULD HAVE A NO CRANK OR RUNS ROUGH AND MULTIPLE DTC MAY BE STORE IN POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) DUE TO DAMAGED GLOW PLUG. MODEL 2011 F-SUPER DUTY. *PE

Old 07-15-2015, 06:32 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
T diesel has a very good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a very good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a very good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a very good reputation on FTE.
I think they "" should do more for you.
You have to have a GOOD warranty in force when you
own a modern diesel.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:39 AM
my_crib_too
Posting Guru
my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.my_crib_too has a spectacular reputation.
Sucks that this happened to you. Writing the huge check cannot be pleasant but that is the unfortunate side of rejecting the Ford ESP plan or other extended warranty strategies available. I would never own a 6.7L outside of warranty but I carry a plan on the wife's Escape too. Hate seeing anyone lose when they gamble.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:25 AM
capt caper
Posting Guru
capt caper is starting off with a positive reputation.
I too have a 2011 and ordered a 2016 due to issues i the 2011 I'm afraid of getting. With that said I belive the valves cause the glow plug tip to break. They made changes to the valves since then. Also updated the 2 pc glow plugs to one piece. On that year they can't update the glow plugs they are stuck with the same design when replacing them. I have 125000 miles now and biteing my nails..I've got about a month to go.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:48 AM
Cable Guy
Junior User
Hindsight is 20/20 on the extended warranty. Based on my vehicle history, I have traded vehicles about every 2.5 years for the last 22 years. I have never had the need for an extended warranty. This is the first new vehicle that I have ever purchased to hit the 100k mark. Based on that at the purchase time, I did not see a need for the warranty. As this truck approached the 100k mark I had had 0 issues that gave me reason for concern and I really liked it, so I decided to keep it, feeling pretty good about. I come from a Ford family and maybe we've been lucky, we haven't had or seen the big issues.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:49 AM
Cable Guy
Junior User
Capt. caper. I'm praying for you my friend.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:44 AM
92F350CC
Posting Guru
92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future92F350CC has a brilliant future

Be sure to inquire as to the warrant coverage on your new engine. It seems the line from Ford is that if they provide assistance on an out of warranty engine replacement, you forgo some or all of the new warranty.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:00 PM
Cable Guy
Junior User
I ask about that this morning. They said it was a remanufactured engine and it came with a 3 year, unlimited mileage warranty.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:52 PM
gascan
Elder User
gascan has a good reputation on FTE.gascan has a good reputation on FTE.
That is very disappointing... Sorry to hear it.

-Gascan

Old 07-15-2015, 05:44 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.
I've been in your shoes and it does make for a bad day/week/month. I don't think you should be scared of ford diesels though. That was a known issue and it hasn't been an issue since then.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:35 PM
tony montana 42
Senior User
tony montana 42 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My question is why doesn't ford issue a recall on these engines?

Old 07-15-2015, 10:29 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
CarlT100 has much to be proud ofCarlT100 has much to be proud ofCarlT100 has much to be proud ofCarlT100 has much to be proud ofCarlT100 has much to be proud ofCarlT100 has much to be proud ofCarlT100 has much to be proud ofCarlT100 has much to be proud ofCarlT100 has much to be proud ofCarlT100 has much to be proud of
$$$$ is why.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:48 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.
That really sux Larry....
Another alternative would be to buy a later model used engine from a wreck!

Old 07-15-2015, 11:19 PM
Cable Guy
Junior User
I use my truck for work. Time is of the utmost importance to get it back on the road. I thought about a used engine, but locating it and then having installed could take some time.

On a brighter note, I received a call from the service department this morning and my cost is now about $7000. This is a refurbished engine with a three year, unlimited mileage warranty. It's still a lot of money, and I feel Ford should have covered the repair entirely, but I am thankful that they at least stepped up some. They have also provided me a loaner vehicle that I forgot to mention earlier. It's not a truck I can work out of, but at least I didn't have to rent a car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Ford F-250 Engine Failure

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: