6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 Ford F-250 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 09:18 PM
Cable Guy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lynnmor
I wonder if you could have had a new engine installed rather than a rebuilt one. If so, how much more and would the warranty be the same?
I didn't even ask. Honestly I'm still kind of in shock. If they would have told me they could put a squirrel in a cage in there for a thousand dollars, I probably would have jumped at it.

Now I'm worried the high pressure fuel pump will go next and destroy this motor, and then the warranty will not apply because the engine was not the root cause of the problem.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:59 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I feel for you Cable Guy - and I had a 2011 as well. I only keep vehicles as long as the warranty or extended warranty regardless.

While I agree a vehicle should go years and 200k-300k miles without a major repair - too many times we get shown how that isn't happening. And today's newer vehicles some of the electronic modules that can go bad are pretty pricey too.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:01 AM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Dakster
I feel for you Cable Guy - and I had a 2011 as well. I only keep vehicles as long as the warranty or extended warranty regardless.

While I agree a vehicle should go years and 200k-300k miles without a major repair - too many times we get shown how that isn't happening. And today's newer vehicles some of the electronic modules that can go bad are pretty pricey too.
I am thinking that is a pretty good plan. I've got to figure out how to do that financially. I am used to keeping a vehicle 10 to 12 years. It used to be that enines outlasted the bodies...

Old 07-17-2015, 07:42 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In our case it's better to finance the trucks rather than lay out the chunk of cash, business taxes and cheap finance rates, etc...so, when the ESP expires after 200,000 miles which takes approx. 4 years the trucks are paid for. If I like the truck I will keep it and since the truck is paid for we have options if there is a $10,000+ repair needed.

So, owning out of warranty has options. With no payment we can pay for the repair, finance the repair, sell the truck, buy a new truck, etc....

I've got 44,000 miles on my 2015 so far and I really like it. I'm considering either running it up beyond 250,000 miles as a work truck or keeping it for myself if/when we get a new work truck. I'd have kept my 2011 I had if it were a 350 long bed, it had a new motor in it so it's got lots of life left. The local true value hardware store uses it to deliver/pickup rental equipment now, they have 3 trucks and my old 2011 is their newest one and they absolutely love it.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:17 AM
CarlT100
Postmaster
My '11 is paid for and I am on a fixed income. Purchasing a $65,000 truck does not come easy.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:46 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakster
I only keep vehicles as long as the warranty or extended warranty regardless.
I agree with this comment too. I think the Diesel EngineCARE is 7-Year/200,000-Mile/8,000-Hour Coverage and the FORD PremiumCARE ESP is 8-Year/125,000-Miles. So it's not like you have to purchase a new truck every three years. Lots of members here have both of the coverages above for their high mileage trucks.

For those that need more mileage or years, maybe another brand or a gas would be a better option.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:25 AM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CarlT100
My '11 is paid for and I am on a fixed income. Purchasing a $65,000 truck does not come easy.
Odds are you will get many many more miles on your truck.Dont worry about whats not in your control.I dont know exactly the odds but I bet you have a much better chance of getting into a wreck that totals your vehicle then having a catastrophic failure of your trucks engine.Got to remember a very very very small portion of ford owners are on this forum and of them some/most only post when there is a problem.Got to keep it all in perspective.I have a 7 year esp,but I wont sell it after that.I would rather pay for a new engine then dump another 60k into a new truck.And chances are great that nothing is going to happen anyways.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:47 AM
scottjima
Cross-Country
Do you mind sharing the build date on your truck? I have an 11 also that has a March 11 build date. I understand I am on the bubble on weather this issue was resolved or not. I have 85k on it and did purchase the 7yr 200k diesel care warranty, so hopefully I'm covered here...

Old 07-17-2015, 11:09 AM
22rimfire
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First off I want to say sorry for your troubles CableGuy. Sucks.

To add to this conversation, you have guys like me who only put 8,000 miles a year on their truck. This to me meant that an ESP didn't make sense. I have Geico MBI that's good to 100K on top of the factory warranty. After that I'll have to deal with it cause I do plan on keeping this truck a long time. I absolutely love it! Big stupid grin every time I drive it love! This forum is such a wealth of info, but at times I wish I just ignored the posts about big issues that cost big $. Ricatic, et all. I know their problems are real, but I also believe it's a small percentage. I just don't want to think about it ( I know no one does), but they do educate us. So I'll do my best to do the maintainance and enjoy the ride.

Good luck Cable Guy, if it were me I'd trade it in on a 2015!!

Old 07-17-2015, 11:36 AM
Cable Guy
Junior User
Originally Posted by scottjima
Do you mind sharing the build date on your truck? I have an 11 also that has a March 11 build date. I understand I am on the bubble on weather this issue was resolved or not. I have 85k on it and did purchase the 7yr 200k diesel care warranty, so hopefully I'm covered here...
Truck is at the dealership and I don't know the exact build date. I remember it was 2010, I'm thinking October for some reason, and I didn't buy until December of 2011. I remember looking at it and thinking it had been on the lot a long time, but it was a long bed with factory 5th wheel prep and most of the 250's seem to be short bed trucks.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:48 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rtazz17
Odds are you will get many many more miles on your truck.Dont worry about whats not in your control.I dont know exactly the odds but I bet you have a much better chance of getting into a wreck that totals your vehicle then having a catastrophic failure of your trucks engine.Got to remember a very very very small portion of ford owners are on this forum and of them some/most only post when there is a problem.Got to keep it all in perspective.I have a 7 year esp,but I wont sell it after that.I would rather pay for a new engine then dump another 60k into a new truck.And chances are great that nothing is going to happen anyways.
I am not worried. My ESP is about to run out and I will be keeping the truck. I am going to invest in a delete though. That will eliminate several potential problems as well as purchasing DEF.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:30 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My 07 escape Hybrid

No major repairs. Ford really needs to step up more for their diesel pick up customers. After owning an 06 6.0 I went to a 6.2 gas. Reliable diesel engines seem to be a thing of the past. Screw the power wars. It's time for reliability/durability war!

Old 07-17-2015, 03:47 PM
frt2599
Senior User
Originally Posted by CarlT100

Just to add my two cents. I have an early build 2011 so I'm in the same boat. I only use the truck to tow my camper and drive on weekends.It currently has 29K miles on it. My 5 year/100,000 mile warranty runs out in early August and I'm scared to death. I didn't buy an extended warranty becauseI don't buy extended warranties. I also believe it's a very very small percentage of engines failing but that doesn't help if one of them is yours.
Should FORD recall these effected engines - Absolutely NOT

Should FORD extend the warranties on these effected engines?Absolutely

In 2001, I purchased a new 2001 Honda Accord. The transmission started having issues at 20,000 miles and had to be replaced,under warranty. About a year later I received a letter from Honda saying they were having problems with the 2001 Accord transmission and were extending the warranty on the transmissions to 5 year, 100,000 mile. That is how you gain customer loyalty.

My point is this is a known issue with catastrophic results. If it’s such a low percentage of failures why shouldn’t FORD step up and extendthe warranties for this type of failure?

Old 07-17-2015, 03:51 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Bob, I agree with you; but I did purchase the ESP. I got half of my money back because of an ac leak. They replaced the whole condenser and other associated parts.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:43 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
FRT2599 -- Back in 2000, I bought a new model 2001 Honda... I had a 2001 that the transmission kept going. When it finally totally failed and brought the car to a screeching halt on the expressway - they finally said it needed a new transmission... They fought tooth and nail all the way through the courts to not buy back the car - nor did they admit in COURT UNDER OATH, that there were any fleetwide transmission issues. The panel of judges asked. Honda used the same tranny in several different vehicles across the fleet. The luck of first run vehicles is a change you take with ANY manufacturer.

Later, they had no choice as too many failures had happened... That warranty extension you got didn't come easily or voluntarily. It did avoid more lawsuits... Granted this is my opinion and I may have been the first person in line with an issue.

Ford says the life of their motor is 100k - it made it to that point. Buy and use these vehicles like they are 100k mile vehicles. After 100k you are in bonus mile time. Glad someone has a hybrid escape that made it 300k. Awesome. I hope they all do that!!! If it's too much money to spend $50-$70k on a 100k mile vehicle, buy something cheaper. That is what Ford is telling you. Even IF it is a "defect" in materials, you made it to the finish line as far as Ford (and basically EVERY single other light truck manufacturer out there) thinks. It may make some business sense if you drive a lot to get a extended warranty out to 125k miles.

Carl - Ford diesel trucks hold their value pretty decently. I didn't put a dime down on my 2011 and after 3.5 years and 40k miles (I know low miles) it was worth 11k more than I owed the bank. I used that as the "down" for my new higher trim level truck and still got a lower payment. The problem is that you have to get used to always having a payment. But you should be able to keep the same or even get a slightly lower payment the next time around. My goal is that I start looking to trade in just before the warranty expires. If the numbers make sense, I do it. If they don't I wait. At one point the truck will be paid for so you will be able to use some equity as a down.

I was normally not an extended warranty kind of person, but after seeing some of the things that can go wrong and cost a bunch of money to fix -- I decided that it was worth the extra security of an extended warranty this time around. My 2011 I didn't do the extended warranty and it was one of the factors that told me it was time to trade it in. I did get it on my 2015. Nice thing I was able to do internet pricing (my local dealer matched it) up here, where Florida you are in an Insurance regulated state... Sucks, because the dealer has no choice but to charge you MSRP....

I wish the OP luck in getting his truck fixed. I don't think he deserves the huge repair bill and that Ford should step up out of good will to the plate and take care of it. At least they are covering some of it.

Quick Reply: 2011 Ford F-250 Engine Failure