6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 Ford F-250 Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 11:27 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
While $7,000 is a lot of money for a problem Ford is aware of, that is much better than full price. Almost half based on some of the numbers I've seen. I know some failures including new turbo and emissions systems have been over $20,000 with labor. It's nice to hear Ford is doing something. I have a 2011 job 1 that had the ESP warranty expire in June. I've been debating for months on what to do but my plan was to keep this truck at least seven years. While I want a 2016, it isn't in my budget. A lot of 2011's were rolled off the line so it's just a gamble of who gets the much higher percentage of good engines and who gets the few bad ones.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:43 PM
PokerMunkee
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sucks. An extended warranty would have been $2k, so look at it as a $5k expense. Could be worse! I'd drive it for the 3 years and upgrade to a new one! Make sure you get credit for the old engine.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:26 AM
golfgooroo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anybody have any idea on total number of 2011 Job1 trucks and estimated number of failures to date? I've seen around 10 failures on this forum and just curious what the percentages are. I've still got my Job1 truck and trying hard to not get burned either by Ford or by my pocketbook.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:13 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by golfgooroo
anybody have any idea on total number of 2011 Job1 trucks and estimated number of failures to date? I've seen around 10 failures on this forum and just curious what the percentages are. I've still got my Job1 truck and trying hard to not get burned either by Ford or by my pocketbook.
Do you have an extended warranty or insurance coverage for the drivetrain? If you do then don't worry, if anything happens it will be terribly inconvenient but financially you'll come out ahead.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:12 AM
Cable Guy
Junior User
I understand (NOW!!) the importance of the extended warranty. What I don't understand is the number of members on this issue that sees the warranty as the answer, instead of the quality of the trucks. Not picking a fight, but these are $50k + vehicles. I expect more from a diesel truck at these price points than 114k.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:00 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been a "First year adopter" of other vehicles and for the most part things worked out fine.
But being on the LEADING EDGE of anything that is new can be problematic as well..
I guess that's why it's called the BLEEDING EDGE so often.

Ford had a problem in the early 2011 6.7 diesels with the Exhaust Valves not having gone through sufficient heat treating as I recall.. Literally all these valves are two piece and resistance welded. The contractor changed their process early on in production to meet more rigorous requirements.
Also there was the redesign of the glow plugs and different machining process on the heads to accommodate them.
Not all 2011 trucks (early or late) are doomed to have problems. Ford has not released the numbers of failures, but I suspect that it is a rather low number in the grand scheme.
Apparently you and a couple handfuls of others on the forums here drew the short straw.
Lessons learned on early adoption are sometimes expensive. Early adoption without a safety net - even moreso...

Old 07-16-2015, 10:52 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ford should have either fixed the trucks with this issue, or extended the warranty. Shameful.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:36 AM
Cable Guy
Junior User
In my humble opinion, extended warranties should be offered to cover the one offs, not known reoccurring issues. This is a known (not to me until now) issue. They have issued a service bulletin as to what to look for if it happens. There are two reasons as to why there has not been a recall. 1. It's expensive and Ford is winning the waiting game in factory warranties expiring, and 2. (I can't believe I'm saying this out loud!) either no one, or not enough people have died as a result of it. It seems like that is THE determining factor in not only Ford's, but the auto industry as a whole mentality.
That being said, I am extremely grateful that Ford was willing to do anything to help me. They were well within their right to just say no. The fact that I think they should have done more is irrelevant.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:33 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, I agree with you cable guy. This issue with the valves should have been covered by ford in every case where there is an engine failure. I completely agree, no doubts whatsoever.

On the other hand, if 100 of these engines fail and 500,000 of them don't, we are looking at a failure rate of 1 in 500, right? This margin of error in a mass produced product of any kind is well within reasonably acceptable numbers. (I'm not a production engineer/statistician or whatever so I don't really know). Yes, it's painful but from a business and legal sense, it's just too small a number to raise the eyebrows of anyone at such a large corporation.

Do I think it's wrong? Heck yes.
Do I think ford should do better? Heck yes.
Do I think Chevy or cummins would do any differently? Heck no.

There's just nothing we can do about it. If I choose to get upset over it I will simply spiral down into a bad place (I've given up on expecting people to do the right thing on principle and my faith in society is gone).

Yes, there are still good people out there and here in this forum but we are far outnumbered and are seriously forgotten about from local government all the way up to POTUS.

So yeah, lump me in the crowd that just buys extended factory warranty and accepts it as the solution. I'm sorry this has happened to you and I wish you the best.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:33 PM
Cable Guy
Junior User
I'm over bitter, just disappointed. How long does the extended warranty go? If it's say 150k and this happens, is it still ok?

As for other companies, I had a transmission go out on a Chevy Blazer at 63000 miles. Chevy's response, "out of warranty, we can't help you". That was in 1998, as a result, I have purchased 14 new vehicles between my wife and I without stepping on a Chevrolet lot since. Has Chevy noticed, nope, but it matters to me.

As I said before, Ford at least helped in my case, and although I feel it should have been more, I will continue to look at their vehicles for future purchases. However in my line of work I travel to many places and meet a lot of people, many of which comment on my truck and ask questions about it. My response will be "blown engine at less than 114k miles, 13k to fix it, was able to get it repaired for 8k". Will Ford notice? Nope, but I will.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:53 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't buy a new diesel because I thought it would last longer than a gasser.
The fact is, I don't think they do. I would bet I could put 400 000 km on my 2010 V10 with minimal trouble.
I doubt this motor would go near that far. I won't be owning it regardless when the miles get up.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:25 PM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get 200K out of an engine built in the last 30 years.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:51 PM
Cable Guy
Junior User
Originally Posted by 92F350CC
IMO there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get 200K out of an engine built in the last 30 years.
That is what I thought!

Old 07-16-2015, 08:35 PM
tony montana 42
Senior User
Cable guy I feel for you man. While they are helping you some 7k is alot of money to shell out on a truck of these prices. I don't know many people that can spend 7k at a moments notice like that. I know I can't lol. While I didn't do a ton of research before buying my 2011. I just personally thought diesel engines would go would 300,000 miles if maintained properly. Ford needs to realize if they are gonna hit a customer that has spent 60k on a truck and barely get 100k miles out of it and then charge some people 20k to re power it, I'm sorry they would loose a customer for life. I kind of regret buying my truck. I absolutely love it don't get me wrong. But I know I can't afford the crazy price they charge to put a new engine in. But I guess I should be a little relaxed, I did buy the easy care gold extended warranty with it. But I have also heard even with extend warranties ford in some cases denies it and your still screwed.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:54 PM
lynnmor
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I wonder if you could have had a new engine installed rather than a rebuilt one. If so, how much more and would the warranty be the same?

Quick Reply: 2011 Ford F-250 Engine Failure