Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need help from the Brotherhood, blowing CPS'

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 09:57 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to get some help from the brotherhood to understand what might be happening with my 02 Ex.

This morning we started out on a 500 mile round trip from Tulsa to Mt. Pleasant, TX. I run Torque Pro while I'm driving and the day was going great. Numbers looked good, truck was running great. Recently I put an E99 motor in my 02 because the original motor was dusted. This was my first change to really put some miles on the truck and see how it was ticking.

The day was going great, about 130 miles into the trip while running cruise control, the truck abruptly canceled CC and the Tachometer dropped to zero and returned to 2000 where I was running. Weird, but no stumble in the gauges.

I got to Mt. Pleasant and stopped for lunch. Backed the truck into a spot and went inside. About 90 minutes later I came out to start my trip back to Tulsa. The truck wouldn't start and really didn't want to turn over much at all. Very jumpy. I tried to start the truck several times with the same studder and no start. Torque Pro didn't show anything out normal, no codes, voltage was 13.5 and would drop while cranking.

After the AAA tow truck got there for a jump, I remember to check the CPS and swap it out as a precaution. Took out a light grey CPS and put in a dark blue CPS. After the swap, it took it a sec to turn over, but fired off! The multiple restarts had dumped some diesel in the cylinder and I was afraid of a HYDO LOCK situation.

I started back to Tulsa making one stop about 90 minutes down the road, I did NOT turn off the truck. Got all the way back to Tulsa, 3 miles from my turn off, the truck bucked like I hit a bump with both front tires at the same time. Nothing on the gauges, no change in the dash gauges.

I make my turn off, and 1/4th mile later the truck just died. Check engine light came on and a red "Check Gauge" light came on. No codes through Torque. I rolled to the side of the road and called for a tow from AAA. The truck has the same starting symptoms, it struggles to turn over like it's low on voltage, however both of my volt meters, show the batteries at 13+ volts. Torque shows voltage at 13.2 volts.

When I try to start the truck, it turns over at a very slow revolution and really has a hard time. The truck won't fire. I don't have another CPS to try right now. I'm stumped on this one.

Everything looks right but I have to ask for input from the brotherhood as I'm at a loss.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:48 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does the CPS look? Is the dirt seal intact? Clean connectors? I had the same issue a few years ago, it would act like that when it rained. I ended up putting a new pigtail on for the CPS wiring. That fixed my issue.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:36 AM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
I can take a close look at the CPS, we ran through rain after the first event, and about 180 miles before the second event.

When I changed it in the parking lot, everything looked ok with the pigtail, but that would be a nice easy fix. Thanks for the tip.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:45 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
My first guess is a ground issue. I would start by checking the ground wires off the batteries, both ends. I would also check the hot wire connections too, both ends.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:26 AM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
My first guess is a ground issue. I would start by checking the ground wires off the batteries, both ends. I would also check the hot wire connections too, both ends.
Thanks John. Good point to check the simple things first.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:38 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Everything you've described sounds like a wire is losing connection somewhere. Ground wires are often times ignored, especially the ones running from the frame to the body. I had a 97 that started to have issues, (transmission was acting funny) The cables off the batteries were fine, so I made some new ground wires and ran them off the batteries to both the motor and body, and cleaned up the existing ones.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:25 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Similar?

I had a similar issue, except for the stumbling part. Occasional electrical things, slow starting in the am making me search for a power drain, etc.

I checked each fuse with the key off for amp draw, replaced a marginal battery, checked and tightened a starter bolt (top one), disconnected ground cables from batteries one at a time to check grounds, unplugged ICP and fuel bowl heater, etc.

Ended up being a starter. The solenoid on mine is built on top of the starter and it was shorting out, causing a drain and a hard start.

If it didn't finally quit, I might STILL be looking! LOL.

Here is my thread, in case there is anything there that might help you in your quest
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15424039

Old 06-22-2015, 04:55 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

In addition to what others have said, check the large square connector in the valley, as well as the valve cover harnesses. I don't really think it's worth pulling the covers to check the connectors under them, as its very unlikely they both came off at the same time.

Other than the slow crank, this smells of a bad IPR. However that slow crank is atypical of an IPR failure.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:14 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Another vote for probably not the CPS. Keep an open mind in your search.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:26 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesser02EX
The day was going great, about 130 miles into the trip while running cruise control, the truck abruptly canceled CC and the Tachometer dropped to zero and returned to 2000 where I was running. Weird, but no stumble in the gauges.

That's how my electrical gremlin first introduced himself. Ended up being the ignition switch. The one mounted to the steering column, not where the key goes.

I'd also look at the power splice from DS battery + that mounts on top of fender well.

Sounds like the system has continuity to show the voltage but not sufficient to carry any amperage. What was the cranking voltage?

Old 06-29-2015, 09:24 PM
Jesser02EX
Posting Guru
Update!

Well it's taken me a week but I don't believe I'm blowing CPS'. Instead my starter failed! Changing the CPS was just a timely fluke. I pulled the starter and took it back to NAPA and they replaced it under warranty!

The motor turns over much faster now, but I found diesel in my coolant, so I'm replacing the injector cups before I put it back together and fire it up.

Just wanted to update the brotherhood. I'll report back when it's running again.