Surge Protection - lets hear what you have...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 05:31 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,448 Likes on 1,036 Posts
No I haven't. Been doing this for years and never had an issue.

I do use a pressure regulator for the water though.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:28 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,201 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by scraprat
Are you guys with this hardwired into your rig do you check the power post before hooking/ setting up?

I've been using this and can say there has been a few times that this has shown a bad electric post before even wasting anytime on that site.
Smart RV Surge Protector, 50-amp - Progressive SSP50 - Surge Protectors - Camping World

Your unit is the exact same thing as the hardwired unit we all have been referring to. It checks the power just like yours when first plugging in. I haven't had a chance to use it like you describe yet as I just got it but I've heard a lot of people say the same as you so this season will be interesting. Now to remember to plug in before setting up camp...LOL.

I personally went with the hardwired as it's always setup, can't be stolen, isn't out in the elements, and isn't a giant box hanging off the park power outlet. The hardwired also has a remote display that you can mount inside your RV to keep an eye on any codes, voltage, line frequency, amps drawn, etc. The remote also allows you to bypass with the flip of a switch.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:11 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
I don't hard wire because I also use my diagnostically. I know I can do it with my meter, but folks don't know what my meter means. it is easier to explain with the read-out on the protector.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:12 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
I just pulled the trigger on the Progressive Industries unit.. Spent a few dollars more but they have free shipping - so $320 did it...

Progressive Industries 50 Amp Permanent Electrical Management System with Remote Display - Surge Guards - Power Protection - Electrical

Thanks for all the tips and pictures! Quite helpful.....

That is the same unit we have in ours Randy. Ours has worked well and saved us a few times. I always plug in and check the readout before going through the setup process.

However, nothing is perfect. A lightning strike nearby still blew out our stereo last year. Don't know if anything could have saved it, but nothing more expensive died. Don't even know if the surge came through the wiring from the post.

We camped from 1988 to 2002 in a 28ft Jayco 5th and never had any surge protection. Never lost a thing. Then again, new trailers have a ton more electronics that we need to protect.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:33 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a 30 amp TRC in the old 5er that worked just fine (and pulled it out when the unit was traded and have it up for sale now). With the good service of that one, bought the 34560 50 amp version. I probably would have purchased the Progressive unit instead if I had done my 'homework' better. Evidently the TRC warranty and customer service have gone into the toilet. I'll need the remote reader and some hook up cable before I can install it though - another hundred plus bucks though it is well worth the cost based on some of the poorly wired CGs we've visited.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:56 AM
RedHorse1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scraprat
Are you guys with this hardwired into your rig do you check the power post before hooking/ setting up?

I've been using this and can say there has been a few times that this has shown a bad electric post before even wasting anytime on that site.
Smart RV Surge Protector, 50-amp - Progressive SSP50 - Surge Protectors - Camping World
I've gotten this procedure pretty well down:
Pole breaker OFF (50A)
Converter Breaker OFF (50A)
Plug in the power cord - Pole Breaker ON
Verify that the EMS likes the power (watch the remote display)
Converter breaker ON
Tell the Bride she's got the power (like I have to)
Head for the fridge

Old 05-14-2017, 04:10 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,870 Likes on 2,789 Posts
I'm considering the Progressive 30 amp unit. Does it also protect power coming in from the generator? I only see one Line In port.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:23 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
If you install it after the transfer switch you are protected as there are two lines coming into the transfer switch but only one line coming out.

Steve

Old 05-14-2017, 04:41 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,870 Likes on 2,789 Posts
Steve, thanks for the quick response. I'm not familiar with the wiring in my trailer so I'm not sure about the transfer switch. I went poking around the Progressive site after I posted and they say to install prior to the transfer switch. Here's what they posted in their FAQ:

Q: Should a Hardwired EMS be installed before or after the transfer switch?
A: A hardwired EMS should be installed prior to the transfer switch. The reason for this is most RV generators already have built-in voltage and frequency protection. If the EMS is installed after the transfer switch, this leaves the transfer switch vulnerable to power problems.
Edit: I don't even know where my transfer switch is. I didn't even know what it was until I started reading up on this unit. I have a lot to come up to speed on.

Last edited by HRTKD; 05-14-2017 at 04:57 PM. Reason: transfer switch? I have a transfer switch?
Old 05-14-2017, 05:10 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Steve, thanks for the quick response. I'm not familiar with the wiring in my trailer so I'm not sure about the transfer switch. I went poking around the Progressive site after I posted and they say to install prior to the transfer switch. Here's what they posted in their FAQ:
Their answer makes no sense as all power generating equipment has built-in frequency and voltage controls. Yes, the transfer switch would be at risk if you install the Progressive after, the switch but if you install it before the transfer switch is still at risk from the generator. Transfer switches are relative cheap in comparison to all of the equipment it feeds. It is more like pick your poison.

I do agree the risk is low from the generator as when the module board or voltage regulator fails, in my experience it fails by putting out no power at all.

As an aside the one thing I have noticed is the power in campgrounds has improved so much that problems have become a rarity as in the past they seemed to me to be commonplace.

Steve

Old 05-15-2017, 06:16 AM
rvpuller
Received 449 Likes on 290 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Their answer makes no sense as all power generating equipment has built-in frequency and voltage controls. Yes, the transfer switch would be at risk if you install the Progressive after, the switch but if you install it before the transfer switch is still at risk from the generator. Transfer switches are relative cheap in comparison to all of the equipment it feeds. It is more like pick your poison.

I do agree the risk is low from the generator as when the module board or voltage regulator fails, in my experience it fails by putting out no power at all.

As an aside the one thing I have noticed is the power in campgrounds has improved so much that problems have become a rarity as in the past they seemed to me to be commonplace.

Steve
Over the years I've been careful when pluging into CG power and never had a problem until last October when we were in Big Bend TX, the parks wiring was fine but when we were out exploring the resort the power was going on and off for the whole area. When we got back to the trailer our satellite receiver was dead so the next day it was 198 mile round trip to Alpine TX to get a new receiver.

We now have a Progressive EMS hard wired system wired after the generator with a remote reader inside the trailer.

Denny

Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2017, 06:22 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
I had damage one time in a campground, but it was decades ago.

Steve