6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Getting my programming back to original

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 08:56 AM
mdelfunt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting my programming back to original

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and have learned many good things from reading - thank you. I acquired a 05 F250 about a year ago and recently had a fair amount of work done - new heads, EGR delete, oil cooler, etc. After that, the mechanic gave me a Predator programmer and stated that he had put a 65HP program in it. He asked me before he did that if it already had a program in it and I didn't know. I would like to get it back to the original factory settings and know that it had a clean starting point before putting a tune in it.

I know the Predator saves the program it sees in the truck when its first plugged in - but what if the truck already HAD a program in it - would the Predator save the modified program as the original? I've read in this forum that it is advisable to flash the truck to original then disconnect the battery and drain the capacitors to make sure its cleared..... so, I'm trying to figure out if I need to take the truck to the dealer to reset it or whether I can do this by myself - give the the circumstances I described above?

Thank you in advance
Mark

Old 03-28-2015, 09:02 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mdelfunt
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and have learned many good things from reading - thank you. I acquired a 05 F250 about a year ago and recently had a fair amount of work done - new heads, EGR delete, oil cooler, etc. After that, the mechanic gave me a Predator programmer and stated that he had put a 65HP program in it. He asked me before he did that if it already had a program in it and I didn't know. I would like to get it back to the original factory settings and know that it had a clean starting point before putting a tune in it.

I know the Predator saves the program it sees in the truck when its first plugged in - but what if the truck already HAD a program in it - would the Predator save the modified program as the original? I've read in this forum that it is advisable to flash the truck to original then disconnect the battery and drain the capacitors to make sure its cleared..... so, I'm trying to figure out if I need to take the truck to the dealer to reset it or whether I can do this by myself - give the the circumstances I described above?

Thank you in advance
Mark
The tuner will store what ever strategy was there when you run it for the first time so before you tune it with the new tuner take it to the dealer and have them flash it to stock, if you have already tuned it with the new tuner return it to stock and then take it to the dealer and have it flashed to stock

Old 03-28-2015, 11:38 AM
mdelfunt
New User
Originally Posted by mustang_309
The tuner will store what ever strategy was there when you run it for the first time so before you tune it with the new tuner take it to the dealer and have them flash it to stock, if you have already tuned it with the new tuner return it to stock and then take it to the dealer and have it flashed to stock
Ok, thank you. so if you have to take it to the dealer, why do I read all the threads on resetting it back to default by removing the power, discharging capacitors, etc in order to blank it out?

Old 03-28-2015, 12:02 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is a different procedure IIRC. A relearn.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:50 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
What unhooking the batteries should do it erase all the learned
things and nothing do do with the strategy that is stored in
EEPROM aka : non-volatile ram where the learned data is stored in
RAM that will loose the data once the KAM power is gone.
KAM aka : Keep Alive Memory
If you have one of the higher end scan tools they can flush
the KAM data and force a relearn.

I think I got that right.

Sean

Old 03-29-2015, 04:20 PM
mdelfunt
New User
So it sounds like the only way to get it to a clean starting point is to take it to the dealer. If anyone sees it differently, let me know before I spend the money. Thank you guys!

Mark

Old 03-29-2015, 05:18 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You could ask one of the tuning places if they have the stock tune... worth asking so you don't spend the money. Especially if they are the ones you bought the tuner and tunes from. What makes you thing that the Predator tuner doesn't have your stock tune?

Old 03-29-2015, 05:24 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Im not sure what the predator tuner does exactly, but if its a canned tune and not a custom tune I wouldn't use it. Your best bet is to get a hold of Innovative, Gear Head, DP, anyone that will custom tune your truck.

A lot of the "out of the box" tuners have proven to be destructive to the 6.0/Torqueshift platform. You've spent a lot of money on the truck don't skimp now. First things first though get a set of gauges before you tune it.

Sarge

Old 03-30-2015, 09:31 AM
mdelfunt
New User
Originally Posted by Sarge261
Im not sure what the predator tuner does exactly, but if its a canned tune and not a custom tune I wouldn't use it. Your best bet is to get a hold of Innovative, Gear Head, DP, anyone that will custom tune your truck.

A lot of the "out of the box" tuners have proven to be destructive to the 6.0/Torqueshift platform. You've spent a lot of money on the truck don't skimp now. First things first though get a set of gauges before you tune it.

Sarge
Hi Sarge, I appreciate your point. I have a Scangage on the OBDII port now but not sure it gives me everything I need. And your right, after spending $5500 on a rebuild, I'm interested in keeping my eye on things. To me, a combination tuner and gauge set would be a good overall approach. If you or others have a recommendation for me I would appreciate it.

Mark

Old 03-30-2015, 11:10 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Fuel Pressure and EGT are the 2 big ones that I don't believe you can see with the SGII.

Sarge

Old 03-30-2015, 12:33 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Edge CTS would work for you as a set of gauges. It has the capabilities to be expanded to read EGT and fuel pressure. (only for gauges not programming)

Most everyone will say SCT for programming.

Also, Dash Boss for iPhone/ipad type devices can be expanded for EGT and fuel pressure.

Not sure about the cost of either one, I'm sure a quick search will provide you with the info you seek.

Check out this thread for example.

Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

I use Scangauge II for my daily driving, and use the Torque APP pro/blue tooth for code scanning.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:00 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Im changing over to the CTS now and removing my analog A-Pillar gauges and I can tell you I have right around 500 bucks into the swap over, but for me I wanted my grab handle back and I like the ability to have a camera through my CTS as well.

So I will have 2 1 in my in dash nav unit and 1 in my CTS for hooking up the 5er.

Sarge