Sponsored by: DP Tuner

tech toys for 99 psd sd.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 02:01 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tech toys for 99 psd sd.

Hey guys - how is everyone? Thanks to everyone's good friend Tugly I'm now hankering to tech out my 7.3 psd.

So I would like to see pic and info of everyone's toys for there 7.3

I'm currently waiting to get the Panlong OBD2 OBDII Bluetooth Mini Small Car Auto Diagnostic Scan Tool Code Reader http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JRWD9WS?tag=viglink20366-20 and pair it with my galaxy note 2. Just something to get me started and then later on ill probably grab me the nexus 7 and pair it up! I really wanna get the AutoEnginuity asap!
I plain on getting a laptop and all the above just for the truck and keep it in there 24/7 so I can have a complete system read out if need be!

ALSO I plain to chip my truck at some point - I wanna do the power hungry performance - sct or such. What is the best way to go for my truck [flash or chip] - I wanna be able to flip a switch and go from hp to fuel economy and vice versa!

Gauges - what are the best 3 gages you can't live with out? For me with any gasser I have to have mechanical oil and temp gauges but from what I understand torque pro will give me every gauge I could want or need! Am I correct? I would probably like a boost and oil psi gauges anyway!

I want a snap on code reader as well! Dropped 4k on one once - it was at the top of the line...... ended up stolen but that thing could tell you if the sky was falling!

Thanks guys! Let me know!

So needless to say - yes I'm getting a divorce!

Old 01-27-2015, 02:29 AM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not very tech savvy but I am working on it but for me I have to have my 5 gauges Pyro, boost, fuel pressure, HPOP, and trans temp.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:41 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Uh oh... I'm creating monsters.

While that $10 OBDII adapter is tempting because of price, things to consider:

It's a Chinese clone of an American product. Their QC is not what I would deem par, nor do they have any support for the device if it happens to not work. You could buy 10 of the same product and some will work fine, some will work with issues, and some won't work at all. Pair those up with a different device or vehicle, and you will get different results. The "legitimate" Elm 327 chip in there costs far more than the whole cloned device does. If you get a legitimate OBDII adapter with proper manufacturing techniques, QC, and product support - you will need to spend closer to $100. It's your wallet and time, but I felt it best to let you know what to expect.

Saying that, I bought an OBDII adapter that powers down after a set amount of time that the vehicle is not in use. This means I can move the OBDII port and adapter behind the knee panel, never unplug it, and it won't drain my batteries. With this configuration, my right knee won't have to play a game of tag every time I drive. If you feel compelled to leave the OBDII port where it is, the lower the profile of the adapter - the better. The one you selected is about twice as long as my OBDLink MX. Yes, our friends way out East do make small-profile ones as well... in case you're curious. Just make sure you unplug the Far East version when parked for a significant amount of time... or keep the battery charger handy.

To follow your request, even though I know you've seen this one, here is a picture:

AutoEnginuity has an ultra-deluxe code reader as part of the program, so you won't need to get a separate device for that. As for the laptop in the cab, I have a "carputer" with all my vehicle documents (diagrams and repair info), AE, Hydra interface software, GPS software, ISSPRO EV2 programming software and hardware, etc.... I have a really cheap (and small) netbook with a bag, and it carries all my cables, a small IR thermometer, GPS antenna, and a cigarette-lighter inverter (with no ground) to power the netbook. AE works just as well on our trucks with an Atom processor as it does with an i7, it's just slower to boot on the little guy.

Three useful gauges for me: Dual pyros and FP.
Three most useful for everybody else: Pyro, Fuel Pressure, Low Oil Pressure.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:17 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
I think I'll grab this one instead - OBDLink MX Bluetooth Scan Tool
ScanTool.net LLC - OBDLink MX Bluetooth Scan Tool | OBD Adapter - ScanTool.net

Don't mind spending the money as long as it is gonna preform properly.

Thanks Tugly!

So is a tunner for our trucks the same as this one I had in my Mustang - Watch "03 mustang for sale" on YouTube
03 mustang for sale:
I can switch between tunes and such

How does a chip work and which one is better. Pros and cons. Thanks

Old 01-27-2015, 10:40 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Iv been thinking about theTS 6 position chip. How does everyone feel about it?

Old 01-27-2015, 11:04 AM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
Originally Posted by f350hammer
So needless to say - yes I'm getting a divorce!

Having been through this type of adventure myself, I would hold off on pimping out the truck until this event is over as you are going to need money for all of the WTF payments you are about to make. JMHO.....now if you have money to burn, have at it

Old 01-27-2015, 11:17 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
The TS chip is programmed at the tuner's location and sent to you to install in the truck - and that's whatcha got until you pull it and send it in for a reburn if needed/desired. Hydra and DP's F6 and Infinity allow you to download tunes from your tuner via internet, and you can send the tunes to the chip/Infinity with your laptop. Each option has perks/drawbacks - and that is a whole involved topic unto itself. A search on this will bring a whole chipstorm to a display near you. Before clicking "Buy", it would behoove you to click and read the "Custom tunes" link in my signature.

Tuning a diesel is nothing like tuning a gasser. With the gasser, you say "Yeah... I can feel a difference." With a turbodiesel like ours, you say "Oh my freaking gawd". You then spend hours waiting for that permagrin on your face to ebb before your wife/girlfriend has the opportunity model in front of you and ask "Does this outfit make me look fat?"

Old 01-27-2015, 05:49 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
The TS chip is programmed at the tuner's location and sent to you to install in the truck - and that's whatcha got until you pull it and send it in for a reburn if needed/desired. Hydra and DP's F6 and Infinity allow you to download tunes from your tuner via internet, and you can send the tunes to the chip/Infinity with your laptop. Each option has perks/drawbacks - and that is a whole involved topic unto itself. A search on this will bring a whole chipstorm to a display near you. Before clicking "Buy", it would behoove you to click and read the "Custom tunes" link in my signature.

Tuning a diesel is nothing like tuning a gasser. With the gasser, you say "Yeah... I can feel a difference." With a turbodiesel like ours, you say "Oh my freaking gawd". You then spend hours waiting for that permagrin on your face to ebb before your wife/girlfriend has the opportunity model in front of you and ask "Does this outfit make me look fat?"
Can the ts 6 been set up off a dyno run? Can it be dyno tunned?
Isn't dyno tunning the place to pick up every little last bit of hp?
IV had the sct and Diablo tunners I liked them but 400$ ugh.
Live data recording is Kool and all but iv been told dyno is the way to go.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:00 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by SARDiverDan
Having been through this type of adventure myself, I would hold off on pimping out the truck until this event is over as you are going to need money for all of the WTF payments you are about to make. JMHO.....now if you have money to burn, have at it
IV already paid the hitman off.!

Old 01-27-2015, 07:11 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Uh oh... I'm creating monsters.

While that $10 OBDII adapter is tempting because of price, things to consider:

It's a Chinese clone of an American product. Their QC is not what I would deem par, nor do they have any support for the device if it happens to not work. You could buy 10 of the same product and some will work fine, some will work with issues, and some won't work at all. Pair those up with a different device or vehicle, and you will get different results. The "legitimate" Elm 327 chip in there costs far more than the whole cloned device does. If you get a legitimate OBDII adapter with proper manufacturing techniques, QC, and product support - you will need to spend closer to $100. It's your wallet and time, but I felt it best to let you know what to expect.

Saying that, I bought an OBDII adapter that powers down after a set amount of time that the vehicle is not in use. This means I can move the OBDII port and adapter behind the knee panel, never unplug it, and it won't drain my batteries. With this configuration, my right knee won't have to play a game of tag every time I drive. If you feel compelled to leave the OBDII port where it is, the lower the profile of the adapter - the better. The one you selected is about twice as long as my OBDLink MX. Yes, our friends way out East do make small-profile ones as well... in case you're curious. Just make sure you unplug the Far East version when parked for a significant amount of time... or keep the battery charger handy.

To follow your request, even though I know you've seen this one, here is a picture:

AutoEnginuity has an ultra-deluxe code reader as part of the program, so you won't need to get a separate device for that. As for the laptop in the cab, I have a "carputer" with all my vehicle documents (diagrams and repair info), AE, Hydra interface software, GPS software, ISSPRO EV2 programming software and hardware, etc.... I have a really cheap (and small) netbook with a bag, and it carries all my cables, a small IR thermometer, GPS antenna, and a cigarette-lighter inverter (with no ground) to power the netbook. AE works just as well on our trucks with an Atom processor as it does with an i7, it's just slower to boot on the little guy.

Three useful gauges for me: Dual pyros and FP.
Three most useful for everybody else: Pyro, Fuel Pressure, Low Oil Pressure.
Tugly can you answer me a question.
Do I just need to buy the scan tool [99.99$] or so I also have to buy software for it? I see it says Premium Software (non-refundable) - with different prices - I took it I must get the proper software for my truck and add on 99.96? Or what?
Will I be able to use this with torque pro. What obd2 reader do you suggest for torque pro?

Old 01-27-2015, 10:32 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The first review on torque pro (Diesel Freak Pearce) says that it does not work on his 99 ford diesel but does work on his chevy.

Now I don't know if he is screwing something up or what, I thought I read something on here a while back with no issues but don't know. The torque pro is only 5 bucks so whatever if it doesn't work but I like that app.

hang out and have some pop corn, Tugly will be on in the early a.m. to help with the Q

Old 01-28-2015, 07:20 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I haven't tried the deluxe version of their scan tool, my question would be if it can do a buzz test or a CCT. If not, then it's just another reader - and Torque Pro takes care of that. I have the OBDLink MX Bluetooth (won't work with iOS, but the WiFi version will) and it works with Torque Pro on my Jurassic 7.3L, as well as the modern Prius. My OBDII adapter works reliably with every app I've thrown at it. I'm not saying everybody should buy this one, I'm saying buying a proper adapter gives you options.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:59 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
I haven't tried the deluxe version of their scan tool, my question would be if it can do a buzz test or a CCT. If not, then it's just another reader - and Torque Pro takes care of that. I have the OBDLink MX Bluetooth (won't work with iOS, but the WiFi version will) and it works with Torque Pro on my Jurassic 7.3L, as well as the modern Prius. My OBDII adapter works reliably with every app I've thrown at it. I'm not saying everybody should buy this one, I'm saying buying a proper adapter gives you options.

Hey tugly- call me sometime lost your number.

How do you think a galaxy 6.3 will run torque pro? A bud is giving me one and I'm think I may use it and packing away my note 2....my note 2 is a Lil powerful but I like the bigger screen and it's a new phone with jelly bean.
what do you think?

Old 02-01-2015, 08:40 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by f350hammer
Hey tugly- call me sometime lost your number.

How do you think a galaxy 6.3 will run torque pro? A bud is giving me one and I'm think I may use it and packing away my note 2....my note 2 is a Lil powerful but I like the bigger screen and it's a new phone with jelly bean.
what do you think?
Sorry it's a galaxy mega 6.3

Old 02-02-2015, 07:55 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Any Android with the ability to link to the OBDII adaptor should work. I have a very cheap tablet sitting here that would work if I had a WiFi OBDII adaptor, but it doesn't have BT.

PM sent.

Quick Reply: tech toys for 99 psd sd.