hotter glow plugs - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

hotter glow plugs

Old 01-12-2015, 07:59 PM
Senior User

dgulledge is starting off with a positive reputation.
hotter glow plugs

Getting ready to order a new set of glow plugs for my 04 f250 6.0. What are the pros and cons of hotter glow plugs vs . OEM
Old 01-12-2015, 08:11 PM
Post Fiend

Rusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputation
Well, they would be hotter . I' assuming they would draw more powere also. Already in short supply if your running a factory alternator. I think the factory plugs get plenty hot to fire the diesel fuel and work just fine. Also, be aware the mid year 04 model engine changes included different legnth glow plug. Be sure to get the p/n right.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:13 PM
Senior User

dgulledge is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've got the late 04 6.0 just wondering why everyone wants hotter plugs
Old 01-12-2015, 08:15 PM
Post Fiend

Rusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputation
News to me...haven't heard a mention of it before. Maybe you're in a very cold climate and it's a regional thing? Or maybe a different model truck?
Old 01-12-2015, 11:28 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
One interesting thing to see will be if the GPCM will
be ok with the higher amperage draw.

Can you post a link to these glow plugs?

Sean
Old 01-13-2015, 07:38 AM
Posting Guru

DSMMH has a great reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a great reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a great reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a great reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a great reputation on FTE.DSMMH has a great reputation on FTE.
Installing Wellman GPs

I'm in the process of installing Wellman GPs. No GP codes, just one of those prevent maintenance things I tend to do. Literature says they get hotter quicker then OEM and from my GP lite the on time appears to be a little shorter on normal cold starts. Noticeable shorter on hot starts. Seams to start as quick if not quicker and does not run as rough as it did on real cold starts. I only have the drivers side installed. Too damn cold to do the other side. No problem removing or installing. A magnet works great to remove them. Torque is 168 inch pounds or 14 foot pounds.

Also, before I did the driver's side, I sprayed Liquid Wrench rusted nut loosener stuff on the connectors, the night before, to reduce the possibility of breaking the connectors. Connectors popped right off. Used dielectric grease on the O rings when I re-installed. Connectors popped right on. I have 122K on the X and have never replaced the GP connectors.

OEM GPs looked fine. Normal distortion on the first 1/2" to 3/4" of the tips. No tips were cracked.

Ed
Old 01-13-2015, 08:18 AM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
The glow plug light does not have anything to do with the glow plug "on time".
Old 01-13-2015, 09:00 AM
Postmaster

87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold87crewdually is a splendid one to behold
Coming up from the old 6.9 idi diesel I know better. It's Motorcraft or nothing. All the other brands had issues with failing and having the tips expand. Once that happen and it failed, upon removal it would get stuck and break off inside. Some guys ending up pulling the head to get the broken piece out. Some that were unaware and ran it destroyed pistons.
OEM or nothing for me. They work just fine.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:23 AM
Former Vendor

Super Duty Service has a great reputation on FTE.Super Duty Service has a great reputation on FTE.Super Duty Service has a great reputation on FTE.Super Duty Service has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87crewdually View Post
Coming up from the old 6.9 idi diesel I know better. It's Motorcraft or nothing. All the other brands had issues with failing and having the tips expand. Once that happen and it failed, upon removal it would get stuck and break off inside. Some guys ending up pulling the head to get the broken piece out. Some that were unaware and ran it destroyed pistons.
OEM or nothing for me. They work just fine.
X2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!