99 psd. problems 911 please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 08:20 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
me too... At this rate, you'll be able to afford new sticks

And about ur video, i've got about the same amount of smoke with no pressure behind it, too.
Tim did it sound like a injector was dropping out or something going on to you ?

Old 12-23-2014, 06:57 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
OMG! Is that valve slap I hear? Is somebody banging in the background, is that microphone distortion, or is that banging really coming from the engine? If that's the engine doing that, stop turning the key. Either something is out of time, or you need a valve job.

I can be wrong - so don't let your heart sink until this has been hashed out and verified by the other members.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:01 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
not sure whats going on Dog. Hoping, theres an aeroforce gauge, stuffed in my stocking this year . But, at 215k, ive been puting $$$ aside, for just this. Somethings' going on though, because, truck just doesnt have the power nor the "normal" sound, compared to my buddys' rig. Ever since i "over-torqued" #3, doing the re-torquing of injector hold downs and rockers, i've felt i screwed something up...anyways, hoping that gauge confirms my hypothesis...

Tug, i heard the same thing, but was being optimistic, that it was OP moving the camera/corder around...

Old 12-23-2014, 12:49 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
OMG! Is that valve slap I hear? Is somebody banging in the background, is that microphone distortion, or is that banging really coming from the engine? If that's the engine doing that, stop turning the key. Either something is out of time, or you need a valve job.

I can be wrong - so don't let your heart sink until this has been hashed out and verified by the other members.
It stops and sounds normal once up to temp! You can rev it and hammer it and it doesn't make the noise anymore.
IV been told that it maybe injectors - going bad or I may still have air in the lines.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
I can't tell for sure from either recording. You are so close to the engine that it's distorting the sound. Can you record the cold engine from more of a distance like the first vid?

As to the first video, what is that clunking at 41 seconds?

You have a missing cylinder for sure - or at least a partial miss.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:56 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Rich please take another video as he said and let us listen to that again. I say that because I don't think I have ever heard one of these trucks make that noise. It has me scratching my head?

Old 12-24-2014, 01:04 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
I agree with Rich please take another video as he said and let us listen to that again. I say that because I don't think I have ever heard one of these trucks make that noise. It has me scratching my head?
OK I'll do author video. It may take a bit I'm mobile and when I go past 3gbs my speed gets cut to dang near nothing......
I took the truck on a 75 mile hual today!
I absolutely had to get some cattle moved.
It did smoke for the first 5 miles or so...... nothing to bad but noticeable. After the first few miles it really slowed. I had 7 full grown black Angus cattle loaded up on the trailer..... it had no problems what so ever. Plenty of power - no oil lose what so ever. No weird sounds - knocking or such. I wot it constantly and never heard anything out of the normal. The last time I seen any smoke out of it - I was claiming a big hill doing about 2500rpms wot. It let a Lil out and that was it. I really think there is a lot of junk in the exhaust and it's burning it all out.

After how it ran today.

My main concern is why is it running so crapy on Cold start and pinging like it is? Just thinking out loud - since the injectors are oil driven - what would happen if there was a bad connection at the electrical plugs of the injectors or what if I forgot to plug one up?

I let the truck cool for about an hour and a half when I got home [outside temp was around 4G degrees give or take].... When i started it- the miss was present but very light - giving it a hard rev to 2500rpms cleared it up instantly. Could I be getting air in the lines some how?

Thanks guys!

Old 12-24-2014, 06:33 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
It sounds like you have more than one issue, and this will be tough to sort out via internet without some OBDII data. My first suspicion is glow plugs, another one is a bad injector, yet another is a loose stick in there. That last suspicion has more than one reason.

If this was going on in my driveway... I'd pop the VCs, check the torque on everything that has a bolt, spin all the pushrods to look for a bent one, and fire up the truck with the VCs off to locate the noises. I'd also use that UVCH link in my signature and conduct those tests. But that's me.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:05 PM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I will admit that I haven't read all five pages but if it was me knowing what I know now from trying to run down a compression issue, I would have checked the compression first. And now that your putting it all back together I would check the compression prior to closing it all up. Your there now?? It will save you some time.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:55 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by bkuuz1
I will admit that I haven't read all five pages but if it was me knowing what I know now from trying to run down a compression issue, I would have checked the compression first. And now that your putting it all back together I would check the compression prior to closing it all up. Your there now?? It will save you some time.
I would love to run a compression check myself - I don't have the compression gauge for a psd. I have one for gassers but not one for diesel.

The previous shop did a Compression test and said all cylinders wear between 508 and 520.

Old 12-24-2014, 05:57 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
It sounds like you have more than one issue, and this will be tough to sort out via internet without some OBDII data. My first suspicion is glow plugs, another one is a bad injector, yet another is a loose stick in there. That last suspicion has more than one reason.

If this was going on in my driveway... I'd pop the VCs, check the torque on everything that has a bolt, spin all the pushrods to look for a bent one, and fire up the truck with the VCs off to locate the noises. I'd also use that UVCH link in my signature and conduct those tests. But that's me.
I guess I'll be pulling the vc to tomorrow and taking a look! I thank you sir!

Old 12-24-2014, 06:00 PM
f350hammer
Senior User

Can you post that link? UVCH link in my signature. I'm mobile and don't see a sig!
Thank you sir

Old 12-25-2014, 01:27 PM
jgilrfr
Laughing Gas
i think 508 and 520 are really high numbers i thought they should be in the 300-330 range

Old 12-25-2014, 02:01 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by jgilrfr
i think 508 and 520 are really high numbers i thought they should be in the 300-330 range
I may be mistaken... I'll re looking at the paper work.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:04 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
400+ is pretty good (at sea level). I'd expect to see 550+ if it was a running compression test.

Quick Reply: 99 psd. problems 911 please help