Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

99 psd. problems 911 please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 09:40 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
eBay? Who's gunna back it up? Clay at Riffraff backs his stuff up, so it's one and done.

With as little as you have driven the truck, you may just need to put some miles on it with the freshly-topped oil and check the level one more time.

If you're still guzzling oil, we had a member with remans that had all his oil bleed straight through his injectors to the compression chamber. A 1/2-gallon external leak will be obvious, so that won't be a hard mystery to solve. A plugged intake filter can really suck the oil out of the CCV. A journal bearing leak will make a mess at the tailpipe. Installing injectors without a lot of lube can damage the fresh O-rings. Poor injector torque will send plenty of oil into the fuel. A bad oil cooler seal will goop up your degas bottle pretty good.

That's a list of common issues that can cause oil loss - some cause a little at a time, others encourage you to install an oil tank the size of your fuel tank.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:49 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is something weird going on here?

No not my first truck.......

At first when I pulled the stick out - there would be a small amount of oil on the tip. Until I started it - then it showed none when I turned it off. I kept adding until it showed oil 2 gallons........ then I noticed someone [no clue why I didn't notice it right away - probably due to lack of sleep and all the dang family emergencys and holidays. ]
the oil dip stick has been cut off on the end - about halfway down the cross hatch section between low and full! Wtf? I ran the numbers on the stick and it does come as a 7.3 psd dip stick. Huumm?

Old 12-20-2014, 09:54 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
There were some 99's that got the wrong dipstick. Part numbers be damned.

Seriously check that out against another 7.3 to make sure.

Pop

Old 12-20-2014, 10:19 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
eBay? Who's gunna back it up? Clay at Riffraff backs his stuff up, so it's one and done.

With as little as you have driven the truck, you may just need to put some miles on it with the freshly-topped oil and check the level one more time.

If you're still guzzling oil, we had a member with remans that had all his oil bleed straight through his injectors to the compression chamber. A 1/2-gallon external leak will be obvious, so that won't be a hard mystery to solve. A plugged intake filter can really suck the oil out of the CCV. A journal bearing leak will make a mess at the tailpipe. Installing injectors without a lot of lube can damage the fresh O-rings. Poor injector torque will send plenty of oil into the fuel. A bad oil cooler seal will goop up your degas bottle pretty good.

That's a list of common issues that can cause oil loss - some cause a little at a time, others encourage you to install an oil tank the size of your fuel tank.
If it helps here is a video of the truck running!99 for super duty fire up after injector orings: http://youtu.be/lNjNZCHqbmE

IV dealt with oil cooler leaks - cool looks nice and clean.

There was oil dripping from the tail pipe when I first got her running but stopped - my 97 did the very same thing when it blew a injector oring but stopped after I replaced the other orings. I'll keep on eye on it.

If it was one of the remaned injector leaking or bleeding straight into the cylinders - wouldn't I notice it running poorly - I mean a 1/2 gallon is a lot in less then 3 miles. I doubt I really even drove 2. Woulden it also cause a hydolock? Or would it only leak when running?

When you say plugged intake filter -your speaking of the air filter? Just making sure.

I'll put some more miles on it and see what she does.

Off the wall question here but. Any of yall ever heard a block heater humming when plugged in? It sure keeps the engine nice and warm!

Old 12-20-2014, 10:25 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
There were some 99's that got the wrong dipstick. Part numbers be damned.

Seriously check that out against another 7.3 to make sure.

Pop
And I thank you sir for that info!
This one has definitely been cut. Should I go get a new one from the dealer or salvage yard to be sure?

Old 12-20-2014, 11:43 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Your best bet is to compare it to a known good one, for both length and where it is marked.

Pop

Old 12-21-2014, 04:42 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Air filter, yes.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:32 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by M-S-G
I'm not burning oil, it's just dripping underneath.

Are you saying there is no way for turbo to leak oil without burning it? My Y-pipe is caked in oil.

Also, I have another turbo issue I need to resolve:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rbo-surge.html

And yes, I do have oil in the valley.
How do you even go about looking for a rear main leak?
I haven't read your other thread, but if you're not burning oil, you don't need to rebuild the turbo unless there's something in that other thread that requires it.

Turbo pedestal o-rings can leak, so can the EPV, HPO lines and fittings, HPOP, IPR, ICP, etc. Clean the valley up and find where the leak is coming from.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:12 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by F350-6
I haven't read your other thread, but if you're not burning oil, you don't need to rebuild the turbo unless there's something in that other thread that requires it.

Turbo pedestal o-rings can leak, so can the EPV, HPO lines and fittings, HPOP, IPR, ICP, etc. Clean the valley up and find where the leak is coming from.
I'm gonna go drive it in a bit.
can you explain what happens when the turbo leaks? Is it leaking in to the compression chambers? Wouldn't this cause a misfire? Or something?
I checked the trip meter and I only put 1.2 miles on it during my drive. That's a ton of oil lose. Thanks bud I'll let yall know.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:34 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
When a turbo leaks oil internally, it typically dumps it out the exhaust side. Oil vapors on the intake side won't hurt anything since the CCV emits oil vapors there from the factory.

If something were to happen and you dump a large amount of oil on the intake side of the turbo, most of it will wind up in your charge air cooler instead of being sent into the combustion cycle.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:50 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
1/2 gallon in 1.2 miles? have you looked in the fuel bowl yet to see if it's black?

Last edited by AllaboutMPG; 12-21-2014 at 11:53 AM. Reason: re read thread
Old 12-21-2014, 03:45 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by F350-6

OK update. Truck Is still smoking blue.... I really think this is from the oil in the fuel bowl that I did not drain [is that possible?]

I let the truck run for at least 15mins. Checked the oil - it was full.
I then went around a few blocks and came back and checked - it was fine...

The smoke from under the hood - caused by my ingredients - I failed to hook up the drop down hose for cvv on the driver side valve cover!
I reinstalled it and the smoke slowed - I believe the valve cover is leaking some of the smoke out as well. Differently doesn't appear to be coming from the turbo anymore.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:15 PM
M-S-G
Senior User
Originally Posted by f350hammer
OK update. Truck Is still smoking blue.... I really think this is from the oil in the fuel bowl that I did not drain [is that possible?] I let the truck run for at least 15mins. Checked the oil - it was full. I then went around a few blocks and came back and checked - it was fine... The smoke from under the hood - caused by my ingredients - I failed to hook up the drop down hose for cvv on the driver side valve cover! I reinstalled it and the smoke slowed - I believe the valve cover is leaking some of the smoke out as well. Differently doesn't appear to be coming from the turbo anymore.
How much oil comes out of the doghouse anyway?

Old 12-22-2014, 12:26 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by f350hammer
OK update. Truck Is still smoking blue.... I really think this is from the oil in the fuel bowl that I did not drain [is that possible?]

The smoke from under the hood - caused by my ingredients - I failed to hook up the drop down hose for cvv on the driver side valve cover!
I reinstalled it and the smoke slowed - I believe the valve cover is leaking some of the smoke out as well. Differently doesn't appear to be coming from the turbo anymore.
Sorry to hear you are still having problems. And I do believe everyone else has cover what them problems could be but with what you are saying in this post it makes wonder or question a couple of things.
When you say you have smoke coming out of the valve cover. First see if you take the oil fill cap off and turn it upside down on fill tube does the crankcase pressure blow the cap off? Next is the smoke is coming out of one valve cover more than the other. Put the oil fill cap on Rt side and disconnect the ccv hose to the intake at the same time to see if it is equal amount of smoke or not. Because it sounds like you have way to much crankcase pressure and if that is the case I can only think of two things that might case that first would be very bad ring blow by which could be confirmed with compression test the second thing would be the injector not seated correctly or copper washer on injector came off. We already confirmed you removed the old copper washers early in the thread..right? Because double copper washer would be a problem. I would think the best way to check that would be pull the valve covers and set a straight edge across the top of injectors and if you are good there then start it up with VC's off and if you are getting compression around the injector You'll know it.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:20 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
Sorry to hear you are still having problems. And I do believe everyone else has cover what them problems could be but with what you are saying in this post it makes wonder or question a couple of things.
When you say you have smoke coming out of the valve cover. First see if you take the oil fill cap off and turn it upside down on fill tube does the crankcase pressure blow the cap off? Next is the smoke is coming out of one valve cover more than the other. Put the oil fill cap on Rt side and disconnect the ccv hose to the intake at the same time to see if it is equal amount of smoke or not. Because it sounds like you have way to much crankcase pressure and if that is the case I can only think of two things that might case that first would be very bad ring blow by which could be confirmed with compression test the second thing would be the injector not seated correctly or copper washer on injector came off. We already confirmed you removed the old copper washers early in the thread..right? Because double copper washer would be a problem. I would think the best way to check that would be pull the valve covers and set a straight edge across the top of injectors and if you are good there then start it up with VC's off and if you are getting compression around the injector You'll know it.
Yes sir. The oil filler cap test was the first thing I did when I got it running. The cap has no problem staying in place. I even tested with a shop Towle. The smoke coming out of the oil filler looks normal.

I'm starting to wounder the over all quality of these injectors. They are remaned.
The truck runs really rough until it reaches operating temperature.... I would almost say it is misfiring..Once up to temp it is fine- running and driving.. A buddy of mine said it sounds like the injectors are on there way out!

Yes sir I did make sure I removed the old copper washers.

What am I looking for with the straight edge? Not sure I know this method..

Thanks you for your time sir!

Quick Reply: 99 psd. problems 911 please help