2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 12:36 PM
MarkAshton
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Ticking

My 2004 F150 5.4L Triton V8 has annoying ticking noise in the engine, (a problem that seems to be shared with many others with this model). From doing some online research, it seems it could be any number of things from lifters to phazers, timing chain, even spark plugs, the list goes on. Here are some interesting symptoms that make this even weirder. First of all. the noise is more noticeable when warm, at idle. When the oil has been freshly changed, for about a week or so, when returning home, as I pull into my driveway (at 3000 ft above sea level by the way- so it's had a good run) the ticking becomes very loud and the engine threatens to stall. Always at the point, never any other. After several days of this, it stops happening, the ticking noise resumes to it's normal annoying level, and doesn't happen again until I change the oil. I've tried thicker oil and once a stabilizer. Didn't seem to help. ??
I am very fond of this truck, but I fear for it's life expectancy, and the amount of money I might have to spend. Can anybody offer some help?

Old 12-15-2014, 05:32 AM
Copper King Ranch
New User
Does it kick any codes on point of stalling

Old 12-15-2014, 11:13 AM
MarkAshton
New User
Thanks for the reply... No codes. It's never actually stalled, bringing the oil pressure back up seems to salvage it.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:03 PM
stcolorado
New User
Originally Posted by MarkAshton
My 2004 F150 5.4L Triton V8 has annoying ticking noise in the engine, (a problem that seems to be shared with many others with this model). From doing some online research, it seems it could be any number of things from lifters to phazers, timing chain, even spark plugs, the list goes on. Here are some interesting symptoms that make this even weirder. First of all. the noise is more noticeable when warm, at idle. When the oil has been freshly changed, for about a week or so, when returning home, as I pull into my driveway (at 3000 ft above sea level by the way- so it's had a good run) the ticking becomes very loud and the engine threatens to stall. Always at the point, never any other. After several days of this, it stops happening, the ticking noise resumes to it's normal annoying level, and doesn't happen again until I change the oil. I've tried thicker oil and once a stabilizer. Didn't seem to help. ??
I am very fond of this truck, but I fear for it's life expectancy, and the amount of money I might have to spend. Can anybody offer some help?
I have a similar issue although I have never had a stall nor does the truck indicate that it will. I've recorded a video that starts on my drivers-side wheel well and then moves to the passenger. The sound seems like a lower passenger engine sound and all fluid levels are okay. Some days are worse than others... Since we share similar issues I decided I'd just tag along to you and post the video link here... Maybe we both can find some resolution together?

Old 12-15-2014, 09:04 PM
Copper King Ranch
New User
I would run some cleaner through the engine oil. From what I've seen on here it's a cheap start, orifices clog . If you can force a code upon stalling it would be helpful.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:08 PM
Copper King Ranch
New User
stcolorado

As load as that sounds I would look for a exhaust leak. Tablet doesn't give the whoosh on the recording though

Old 12-16-2014, 11:28 AM
MarkAshton
New User
Tough to tell if that's the same noise from the recording. Mine definitely sounds like metal on metal, whereas I'm not sure if yours is that distinct. I would also look for an exhaust leak, I had a leaky manifold that sounded a lot like that. I am going to see a mechanic at the end of the week that comes recommended to me, somebody that knows theses engines well. If he can diagnose this without tearing it apart, I will let you know the outcome. Maybe I'll see if I can take a video of the ticking as well as comparison. Cheers guys

Old 12-16-2014, 11:33 AM
MarkAshton
New User
Oh ya, from my leaky manifold experience, I learned that they have a history of happening on the right, or passenger side, specifically with those trucks. If your noise is more noticeable over there, that could be more indication.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:54 PM
stcolorado
New User
Originally Posted by Copper King Ranch
As load as that sounds I would look for a exhaust leak. Tablet doesn't give the whoosh on the recording though
Tough to tell if that's the same noise from the recording. Mine definitely sounds like metal on metal, whereas I'm not sure if yours is that distinct. I would also look for an exhaust leak, I had a leaky manifold that sounded a lot like that. I am going to see a mechanic at the end of the week that comes recommended to me, somebody that knows theses engines well. If he can diagnose this without tearing it apart, I will let you know the outcome. Maybe I'll see if I can take a video of the ticking as well as comparison. Cheers guys
Oh ya, from my leaky manifold experience, I learned that they have a history of happening on the right, or passenger side, specifically with those trucks. If your noise is more noticeable over there, that could be more indication.
This could be true as it appears to be most evident on the coldest days, which is also going to be when the metal will be most susceptible to retracting and expanding at different rates. It is worth noting that I have zero performance issues and zero cabin noise, however in park I do get a pulsing left-right vibration through the chairs. Annoying, but I've been told its harmless and some of these beasts are known to do it. Tomorrow it goes in for an alignment and I've asked my regular mechanic to give the manifold a looking at and see if that's my culprit. I've been told since I am not losing power or experiencing any stalls, problems, or codes, I need to learn the truck and live with the fact that I've got a "Real engine" now and not my Tacoma anymore.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:23 PM
stcolorado
New User
I wanted to bump back in here with a few updates, as these threads seem to go silent and the posters never update.

I took the truck in to my mechanic, very honest guy who knows his motors better than anyone I've met so far. I took him around the truck pointing out all the noises and expressed my concern. This was what he told me after he plopped it on a lift and looked around for a while: If there is an exhaust manifold leak, it must be too small for him to notice under the truck. He started it both cold and warm. The noise is too faint and lacks the "metal on metal" clank to identify phaser knock. He also said the first tell-tale sign of phaser failure is a truck that "idles like a drunk chick walks." Same for VCT Solenoids, which will cause unusual driving conditions and reduce power as the truck attempts to adjust for the problems. He said that one thing these trucks can be known for are loud fuel injectors, giving that kind of low-level, non-metal to metal knock that you can hear on mine. He said this is pretty much a moot point as the tests showed near perfect, near factory combustion in all chambers and there were zero bad readouts to speak of. The mounts appear to be aging, but not exactly failing. He said in the next two years it would be wise to do some newer mounts that are built a bit stronger than the original Ford ones. They were evidently not that strong and over time give the engine some movement that can contribute to knocking as the truck's VCT retards/advances the timing system under load and temperatures.

So I purchased a ScanGauge II for $150 and spent about an hour loading up custom codes for the Fords into it. The truck has no codes, no pending codes, and no signs of codes having been wiped out. Her readings aren't just good, they're damn near gorgeous for a 169,000 mile truck! So I am gonna keep on driving with a smile and roll this old girl to 300,000 if I can help it.