1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 F-250 XLT - Dealer is stumped

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 10:51 AM
BIG EOD Johnson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 F-250 XLT - Dealer is stumped

The dealer is stumped. I have a 2015 F250 XLT 4X4 super cab with a 6.7 under the hood. It has less than 5K miles. It replaced a 2012 F-250 that was destroyed by a Kia with an attitude. After driving about 25 miles to work (30 to 45 min), I back into a parking space and when I get out there is the smell of burnt rubber or maybe a coating burning off of a new part that seems to come from near the driver side rear wheel. The odor only last for a minute. I mentioned it to the local dealer (Woody Anderson Ford in Huntsville, AL) and they said any new part smells should be gone before I hit 1,000 miles. It seldom happens when driving forward but the smell is always there after I have gone in reverse. I do not smell it inside the cab but only after I have gotten out. No warning lights come on, there is no visible smoke, and the truck seems to run fine. And no the emergency brake is not on. Also my fuel mileage is about 15mpg but the 2012 got 18mpg with the same size truck and engine. Could the brake be dragging?? I expect it to see flames coming from under the truck soon. I have taken to parking away from other vehicles when I go somewhere.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:24 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Welcome to FTE. Might consider posting this in the 6.7L section.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:27 PM
BIG EOD Johnson
New User
I thought about it but since the problem seems to come from the rear of the truck rather than the engine compartment I wasn't sure. I will head to that section and repost (?) it there.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:34 PM
snelldawg
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stuck caliper?

Old 11-19-2014, 06:09 PM
EODguyJake
Fulltime INFIDEL!
Mine smelled like that the first couple of times the regen cycled.

And I'm only getting about 15mpg right now. I'm sure it'll go up after break in.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:57 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BIG EOD Johnson
...After driving about 25 miles to work (30 to 45 min), I back into a parking space and when I get out there is the smell of burnt rubber or maybe a coating burning off of a new part that seems to come from near the driver side rear wheel...
I want to get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager, BIG EOD Johnson. To get started, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll move this up the line.

Crystal

Old 11-20-2014, 09:03 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by BIG EOD Johnson
The dealer is stumped. I have a 2015 F250 XLT 4X4 super cab with a 6.7 under the hood. It has less than 5K miles. It replaced a 2012 F-250 that was destroyed by a Kia with an attitude. After driving about 25 miles to work (30 to 45 min), I back into a parking space and when I get out there is the smell of burnt rubber or maybe a coating burning off of a new part that seems to come from near the driver side rear wheel. The odor only last for a minute. I mentioned it to the local dealer (Woody Anderson Ford in Huntsville, AL) and they said any new part smells should be gone before I hit 1,000 miles. It seldom happens when driving forward but the smell is always there after I have gone in reverse. I do not smell it inside the cab but only after I have gotten out. No warning lights come on, there is no visible smoke, and the truck seems to run fine. And no the emergency brake is not on. Also my fuel mileage is about 15mpg but the 2012 got 18mpg with the same size truck and engine. Could the brake be dragging?? I expect it to see flames coming from under the truck soon. I have taken to parking away from other vehicles when I go somewhere.

bad PR on new models is something FORD should certainly pay attention to so you did good by posting here.

a lot of folks google truck model year and "problem", or "issue" so adding that to subject line would widen the audience.

best wishes on resolution and keep up posted.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:56 AM
PAf250
Senior User
I would take a laser thermometer and check the temps of all 4 disk brakes as soon as I stopped. The front disks should be about the same temp as each other. The back disk should be about the same temp as each other. If one is hanging up you will see a big difference.

Is there any type of oil, axel seal, leaking oil onto the disk?

Old 11-21-2014, 09:23 AM
BIG EOD Johnson
New User
I thought about something sticking. I pull into a kind of L pattern and then back into the parking slot so it could be be something just not releasing all the way when I let off the brakes but it also happens when I pull into a parking slot. Which could also be the brakes but I have had my brakes lock up on vehicles before and it just did not smell this way.
The idea that the truck uses DEF and has a really strange exhaust system might be on track but my 2012 did not do this.
I emailed and stopped by to talk to the local Dealership shop manager. He is going to run it around the garage to see if anyone else has had this issue.
The truck seems to run ok, no fluid leaks, no flames. It is just odd and I would like to know if it is going to burst into flames someday. I will try the heat sensor gun to see if that shows hotter on one brake drum then the other. I will pull the tire off this weekend to take a look and check the brake parts.
Thanks for all your ideas

Old 01-15-2015, 07:50 AM
JC F250
New User
Crystal,

Were you able to find out the issue? I have a new F250 with the same issue/smell.

-Jeff

Originally Posted by FordService
I want to get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager, BIG EOD Johnson. To get started, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll move this up the line.

Crystal

Old 01-15-2015, 09:26 AM
BIG EOD Johnson
New User
Found the problem (I think)

After a day of driving around I got out of the truck and had my wife drive to the end of the driveway and then come back to the house (our dirveway is 340ft long). I stood by my parking space and stepped up as she shut off the engine. The smell seems to be from the exhaust and after talking to other F250 owners that I work with it seems to be something to do with the "normal" DEF/diesel/exhaust thing. My 2012 did not have this strong an odor but the dealers said that this engine, althought the same type/size, has minor design changes meant to give it more power (not sure how 405 is that much better than 400 but whatever). It still runs fine, there is no black smoke coming from under the truck, and there are no burnt spots on the concrete under where I park my truck so I have to assume that it is normal. I am old enough to remember the early days of the glowing red catalytic converter and the cars that would burst into flames out in the Kmart parking lot. But I guess the odd unidentifiable smell from my 2015 F250 is the new normal for Ford diesel trucks. On the plus side, if I am stuck in traffic I now try to position my truck so that I am just forward of any eco cars that are also stuck in traffic. They aggravate me when we are moving and I aggravate them when we are sitting still.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:46 PM
KellyfromVA
Senior User
Did you check to see whether a Kia may be stuck under your truck? I hear burning Kia's smell just like burning trash.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:24 PM
BIG EOD Johnson
New User
Truck noise

I did have an odd noise on my way to work the other day. Thought I had a rock in my tire. Turns out it was a Fiat 500. I gave it to the janitor. He collects cans for recycle.