Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another rough staring issue

Old 11-12-2014, 10:35 AM
Steelheader87
Senior User
Steelheader87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Another rough staring issue

I searched the forum, but could not find similar starting issues that I am having. Every once in awhile, when starting pickup in the morning, it will start right away, rev up and down in RPM's, almost like it is lugging and then dies. I cycle the glow plugs again and starts right up. Now this morning, it is way colder then usual, we were at 32 degrees here in Oregon and it did this lugging and dying twice before it started and stayed running, it took a couple of seconds of lugging, then evened out and idled normal. Any ideas?? I would assume glow plugs, but need some advice. I have not tried plugging it in yet, may do that tonight and see what it does tomorrow. Thanks for your help. 2002 F350, Hydra chip with Matt's tunes with the rest of the normal exhaust and intake upgrades.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:05 AM
binuya
Posting Guru
binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
Is this what it's doing? (at 0:52 in the video) If so, that's what's known around here as the 'romps'. Mine did it fairly consistently at freezing temps, and occasionally as warm as the low 60's. When I switched to 5w-40, it never happened again.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Steelheader87
Senior User
Thanks for the quick reply binuya, that is exactly what mine did this morning. So simply switching to 5w-40 took care of it? Can you explain why changing to 5w-40 will cure the issue? Thanks again.

Old 11-12-2014, 11:32 AM
binuya
Posting Guru
binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Steelheader87 View Post
Can you explain why changing to 5w-40 will cure the issue? Thanks again.

In a word, no. From what I've gathered here on FTE, it can be a number of things that can cause it, including glow plug system condition, age, and I've also heard certain differences in each trucks programming. I used to run 15w-40 Delo, and really did not want to change because it did everything else so well, (as verified by UOA's), but upon doing numerous thread searches here on the subject, the most prevalent solution was to go synthetic. Sure enough, it took care of it. Is it masking some other issue? I've asked that question before, and the consensus was 'no'. I'm fairly certain someone here with more thorough knowledge will chime in and explain. Good luck with it!

Old 11-12-2014, 01:10 PM
montanasteve
Senior User
montanasteve has a good reputation on FTE.montanasteve has a good reputation on FTE.
5W is thinner than 15W when cold, so the motor, turbo, and injectors all benefit (that's my assumption, anyways). One of the oil geeks may chime in and add some more info. There are a few threads that I've seen with oil analysis results, and it seems the Rotella T6 5W-40 (synthetic) isn't as good of an oil compared to the Delo synthetic 5W-40. They're both available at my local Wal-Mart for around $22/gallon. I switched to the Delo based on the oil analysis of others. I run it year-round.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:05 PM
Steelheader87
Senior User
Thanks for the input, I guess this means I need to change my oil to 5w-40 synthetic. Do I need to get all of the oil out if the HPOP and fill it up also?

Old 11-12-2014, 05:11 PM
binuya
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Steelheader87 View Post
Do I need to get all of the oil out if the HPOP and fill it up also?

No. Besides, you've got residual oil, that won't drain, in the heads and oil cooler as well, but it's been pretty thoroughly discussed that it's a non-issue.