6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Glow Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Boston James
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glow Plugs?

Wondering at what temp my glow plugs are really need? All this winter my truck 05 F350 hasn't been starting unless plugged in. It's been a cold winter so i always plug in but about around xmas it was up to -15C and it barley started not pluged in then yesterday it was up to -1C (32F) and again I had to crank it over a couple of times to get it to start. I took the batteries in today and had them check and they were good. I believe I don't have any injector issues at the moment (had one replaced last winter then ran some HSS and have smoth idling and no smoke at startup). If the truck is plugged in it starts no problem and idles smoothes. I just know from last winter at these temperatures it should start.
How do I check the glow plugs and the glow plug relay?

Thanks
Kevin

Old 02-08-2009, 12:30 AM
liv
Posting Guru
I hate to ask a stupid question, but you are waiting for the glow plug light (squigly line) to go out right?

What happens if you turn the ignition on for 30 seconds a couple times? When its real cold you'll have to do this.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:15 AM
Boston James
Freshman User
All questions are good questions "I hate to ask a stupid question". Yes I wait for the glow plug symbol to go out. At 32F I don't think I should have to cycle the plug a couple of times but when I do cycle them a couple of times before starting I think that when it do start I MAY have a slight bit of smoke, though not much if any.
My wife had a 01 VW diesel that the glow plug symbol would flash if one of them failed. Ford not there yet?

Old 02-08-2009, 01:42 AM
liv
Posting Guru
I apologize again. We have had a lot of new users here lately so I hope you understand.

I really don't think its your glow plugs failing I believe you have other issues going on. Unfortunately since your batteries are good that pretty much rules out the #1 problem that people have been having lately, that being the FICM. The block heater shouldn't really be the deciding factor in start or not start is what is throwing me off. What kind of oil are you running? How many miles on the truck? Where do you live and what has the climate been like over the winter? Any additives? The more info the better.

Also no the symbol won't flash if they are failing. It should however throw a code.

And to answer your original question here is how you test them. Page 68: Electrical Components

And a little more info about the system. Page 66: Electrical Components

Old 02-08-2009, 01:53 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Have you gotten the inductive heat flash done?

Old 02-08-2009, 09:41 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 665 Likes on 425 Posts
I believe the Glow Plug Relay module should throw a code if it's either not responding properly to the PCM, or is seeing a glow plug that is not drawing proper current or not showing proper resistance. I don't know this for a fact though, and I don't know if it would light the Check Engine light.

I'd check for codes if you haven't, then try liv's links. That would rule out any glow plug problems.

My personal observation is that when the glow plugs are on, it draws down the system voltage quite a bit. You might look for that as well.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Boston James
Freshman User
Thanks for the responses.
The truck got a new flash Jan. 08 last year when I had the #2 injector replaced. I assume that was the iductive heat flash. After that I did one treatment of HSS.
The truck has 219000km (132000mi). I have been using 5w40 Rotella full syn. since I have had it. I put in Power Service every fillup, white bottle in winter and silver in summer.
We have had a cold winter so far and when it's -18c (0 F) I can maybe understand having to plug in. But yesterday it was -5c (22 F) and it took a couple of tries. Today at 0c (32 F) it started but that plenty warm and I had the batteries inside trickle charging. When I put them in the truck the voltage was 12.6v and then when the glow plugs were on the voltage droped to 11.6v.
When it does start it runs probably the best it ever has. Smoothes out right away and no smoke. No starting issues as long as is plugged in. But at 20 F it shouldn't need to be.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:34 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
You might check though, because there were several flashes for these things for emissions, etc. as well. Also, have you checked the alternator? If it's not charging fully, the colder temps. tend to drag the batteries down. Combine that with cranking a diesel when it's pretty cold? Don't know but Mine always starts a lot easier when plugged in. If yours is slow cranking without being plugged in, and the alternator isn't charging well, it may be enough to drag the batteries down too low to start it. Do you have any excess voltage drop when running accessories?

Old 02-08-2009, 11:58 PM
06 Beast
Junior User
I would say the latest heat flash just might do the trick. Its worth a try.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Boston James
Freshman User
Is the inductive heat flash the latest one. Has there been a new one since last Jan2008?

Old 02-09-2009, 01:24 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
The inductive heat flash has been out for a little while now. I guess what I was asking was, are you sure they did this flash and not just one of the emissions flashes that have come out? The emissions flashes were recalls but, if IIRC, the inductive heat flash was only performed if you specifically asked for it or had a concern about poor cold weather starting.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:35 PM
rock_doctor
Senior User
We had the same exact problem and exact same symptoms. It was the HFCM. See if you are still under the emissions warranty or someway that ford will cover it. They are not cheap. Call today, you may get lucky.

I hope at some point somebody figures out why all of the HFCMs are going. Ours only had 43k miles on it. Maybe the 05's got a bad batch...

Old 02-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Boston James
Freshman User
Today, like yesterday, the first start of the day took a couple of tries letting it crank over a bit. The temperature was 32-34F both days. Like usual after the first start any starts throughout the day are no problem. Yesterday it was a couple of hours between starts and today it was 3 then 4 hours between starts. And it runs good.
I went to the dealer yesterday to see if they could tell me what flash I got last Jan. and they said if it didn't show on my bill (I checked the bill before I went to town) they wouldn't now unless they brought it in and checked, for an hours labour. Then the desk guy said maybe EGR valve, I think they just like getting everyone on that that comes in for anything.
So on the way home I picked up a code reader and plugged it in this morning. And guess what. "No TDC codes in memory".
Then a thought came to me. Is there any chance it could be my fuel filter? I went through my records and it's been almost 15 000mi since I did them. I'll try to get back to town a pick up a set tomorrow.
Has anybody heard of symtoms like the with problems being the filters?
Maybe I'm just hoping cause I don't want to have to spend a bunch of money on this.
Thanks for all help.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:10 PM
liv
Posting Guru
Can't really it being a symptom of the fuel filters but its worth a shot they definitely need to be changed.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:24 PM
TreeTech
Junior User
This winter my 04 is starting to be a pain to start in 35 or below temps/also takes min of 10min before you can go down the road, or it misses like crazy.. If you plug it in its fine.. Im pretty sure its just injectors sticking, So you are not alone on this one I feel your pain.. My truck has got 142k on it now, In warm temps today 74 it cranked fine, So I will just live with it for now..