New Post: How To Fix Seat-Generator-Steering Wheel-HomeMade Hinge

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 01:44 PM
oklaecono
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Post: How To Fix Seat-Generator-Steering Wheel-HomeMade Hinge

I have many questions and i do hope there are those that still read this forum board(s).

I am not an overweight man by any means, but, to try to get up into my truck has been presenting a problem. Oh yeah, I forgot,,sorry..

1965 Ford PickUp Econoline Truck is what I have.

I open the driver door and other then grabbing the steering wheel there just isn't much to grab onto to since the seat is so close up to the steering wheel. I have trouble getting my right knee up under the column as well, so, to get up and under and into is just a pain most all the time. i have looked at the seat and it's moved all the way back.

Has anyone drilled new holes and very carefully moved the seat back on the platform to give more room ?? Has anyone gone with a different steering column with a tilt wheel that would give a locked situation to hold onto? Has anyone any other good or great idea then what I have presented here? I am way beyond being humbled here or being put in a position of being educated on how to fix this problem so please, any help would really help out.

Also, after having the vehicle for a month the generator light came on and has stayed on ever since. Every one has told me to get a alternator to replace it with and there are those that say just have what I have already rebuilt. ANyone's two cents on this one??? I think having it rebuild would be in keeping with the 'stock" concept.

Tailgate hinges are just not around anywhere or made. So, I think making my own or customizing my own wouldbe the way around the problem. Anyone here make any? I have a cousin that has made his own and I can see how it could be done so I was wondering if anyone has had any luck doing the same.

thanks in advance!!!!!

Steve

Old 11-19-2015, 10:29 AM
scoobyvanjack
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see this has been up for a while I. If the seat is still a question I moved my rt seat "forward" by using 1"x 1" angle iron between the seat legs and the seat frame. the same would apply to go rearward. when done the seat will be about 1/8" taller. I only moved about 1 1/2 " ( made room for mods to the engine box cover and right side cover). I wouldn't go crazy on far you car go back. The rear attachment is now a cantilever I would guess don't go past 3" so nothing sags or cracks. As far as the generator rebuild it your self it will be fun. usually the various specialty tools can be rented at one of the national parts chain stores. Is it 6 or 12 volt. If 6 convert it to 12 your night vision will thank you. These items are still out check Mac's antique auto.