1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Seating problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 01:58 AM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seating problem

I have a problem. I am a more ..... rotund individual. Fitting between the seat and the steering wheel is a tight squeeze. I am trying to find a solution that will allow me to drive my truck. I have come up with three solutions with various degrees of cost and complexity, and thought I would get thoughts from y'all .

Idea one. Modify the steering wheel to add a u joint near the steering box. This will allow me to shorten the column drop adding a couple of inches between the seat and wheel. Complexity High, Cost Low also makes me really nervous to do the modification myself.
Idea two. Remove the back of the seat. Drill the rivet out that holds the seat back to the frame. Add some padding for a back rest. Complexity Low, Cost Low
Idea three. Using lumber from home depot build a bench seat that has more room in the back rest. Complexity Medium, Cost Medium.

I looked at power steering, which would let me mount a smaller steering wheel, but the cost to switch over is more than I want to invest right now. What are y'all's thoughts? Is there another way to solve this problem?

Old 09-26-2018, 05:49 AM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Hi Kevin,
I don't have much to help with ideas one and three but I can say that removing the backrest is something I've never seen or heard anyone do before. I suppose it depends on how many miles you would drive every year. The backrest sort of gives you stability in corners and during acceleration. Having only some padding may make driving uncomfortable and more so for passengers who won't have a steering wheel to keep them in place.
Perhaps idea #3 might be a better option the more I think about it.
Tom

Old 09-26-2018, 06:46 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Replacing the steering wheel with a smaller wheel will increase your steering efforts particularly while parking. But I have not seen a smaller wheel that fits on a stock column. Maybe someone else has.

Rather than remove the seat back I took mine to a local upholsterer and he made a thinner seat back which helps. But you will obtain the most room by replacing the steering column with a tilt version, add a smaller wheel and add power steering. Not a cheap solution but the most satisfactory that I have seen.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:47 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Find a seat from a 1990 Ford Ranger. It has a much thinner back. On my truck I also mounted the 90 regular cab bench seat using the original seat frame but modified it by cutting two inches off the rear seat legs so that the seat leaned back in a more comfortable position. This would also give you more room at the steering wheel.

I tried to upload a picture of mine but that process is not working this morning.

Last edited by GreatNorthWoods; 09-26-2018 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 09-26-2018, 07:49 AM
SumDayDryvr
Mountain Pass
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I am not sure if this will help but is there a different type of seat that you could get from a pick and pull yard that would be more comfortable for you. Shouldn’t be too expensive and it would be a lot easier to accomplish. Hope you find something that works so that you can enjoy driving your truck.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:50 AM
SumDayDryvr
Mountain Pass
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Vern is a faster typist.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:18 AM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
If your 55 is like my 56, the seat back removes easily by pulling a couple cotter pins where it pivots. You might have to unbolt the seat to get access to the pins. Once the seat back is removed you can assess getting a less thick seat back option to see it that helps your problem. It might put you too far back from the pedals.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Originally Posted by pineconeford
Hi Kevin,
I don't have much to help with ideas one and three but I can say that removing the backrest is something I've never seen or heard anyone do before. I suppose it depends on how many miles you would drive every year. The backrest sort of gives you stability in corners and during acceleration. Having only some padding may make driving uncomfortable and more so for passengers who won't have a steering wheel to keep them in place.
Perhaps idea #3 might be a better option the more I think about it.
Tom
Wow, and three was my crazy off the wall desperate idea I don't plan to leave it that way for long, just until I can start interior work.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:47 PM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Originally Posted by petemcl
Replacing the steering wheel with a smaller wheel will increase your steering efforts particularly while parking. But I have not seen a smaller wheel that fits on a stock column. Maybe someone else has.

Rather than remove the seat back I took mine to a local upholsterer and he made a thinner seat back which helps. But you will obtain the most room by replacing the steering column with a tilt version, add a smaller wheel and add power steering. Not a cheap solution but the most satisfactory that I have seen.

My seat padding is currently a layer of burlap covering the bare springs, so sadly I can't thin down the foam. I want to do the tilt wheel route and power steering eventually, but like you said not cheep.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:49 PM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Originally Posted by ranger pat
If your 55 is like my 56, the seat back removes easily by pulling a couple cotter pins where it pivots. You might have to unbolt the seat to get access to the pins. Once the seat back is removed you can assess getting a less thick seat back option to see it that helps your problem. It might put you too far back from the pedals.
Ohhh, I thought it was riveted on, if it is just a couple of cotter pins and a peg, that makes it so much easier ....

Old 09-26-2018, 01:30 PM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Don't know what your budget is but there is an ad in Hemmings where a person will take your stock steering wheel and put a 15" outer on it. I am trying to do that myself but have not finished it yet but it will work. I would think that there is an adapter out in the world somewhere that will let you hook up a wheel to a stock shaft. Good luck.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:30 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Hotrod350
Wow, and three was my crazy off the wall desperate idea I don't plan to leave it that way for long, just until I can start interior work.
Oh, Kevin...I understand now. Just temporary.
Well, I used a lawn chair strapped to my frame rails to drive the chassis around until I got my cab, so you having a seat base in there is a vast improvement.

For what it is worth...I recently re-upholstered my stock seat in the '49 and got the brilliant idea to stuff more padding in the bottom and back.
The seat is wicked comfortable and you sit up nice and high, BUT that puts your legs and belly too close to the wheel for comfort for driving. It is awesome to just sit in the seat, but I think this winter I will have to remove the entire seat and yank out half that padding, then button it back up again.
Too much padding is too much.
Tom

Old 09-26-2018, 05:43 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Here are pictures of the seat, thin seat back and Flaming River tilt column with 14" banjo-style steering wheel.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:34 AM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Great suggestion, Mine was held on by pins and cotter pins, Saved me from drilling on that old seat!

Old 09-27-2018, 11:35 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
You don't have to unbolt the seat to remove the back. But another set of hands will make it easier to get it out the truck. I've done it myself but its easier with two.