Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hydrogen generator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Diesel 724
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hydrogen generator?

I saw on facebook a guy bought a 7.3 with a mason jar in the engine bay with a heating element in it and some wires. Someone said it was a hydrogen generator.

What exactly is a hydrogen generator, are they common, ive never heard of it, do they work? Anybody running one?

Old 10-03-2014, 09:37 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
A hydrogen generator separates hydrogen from water (H20). Since hydrogen is combustible and clean burning, the thinking behind it is you can use less diesel for the same economy or get more fuel in the same amount since the hydrogen goes in as a vapor through the intake.

Does it work is kind of complicated. Technically, yes it works, but in a controlled environment or certain conditions.

Practically, no it's not going to help you. You won't see increases in fuel economy or HP from a hydrogen generator that you see advertised of build yourself. The only people who see in increase in fuel economy after installing a hydrogen generator are the ones so focused on better fuel economy that they change their driving habits to better suit their goal. That alone will have the biggest effect on fuel economy.

There was much discussion about this a few years ago when this first started making the rounds and it all died off when everyone figured out it wouldn't work.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:10 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
There is a guy on youtube who has a huge contraption in his bed, consuming the whole space, and he is getting like 15mpg freeway or something like that (which for him was an improvement).

Now I'm no math wiz, but 15mpg in a truck with no bed seems more expansive than 30mpg in a car with no bed.

Plus I get 18mpg freeway in my truck (see signature picture to get an idea of what were dealing with)

Old 10-04-2014, 05:39 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
The stock air filter is rated for 450 CFM air flow - that mason jar of Hydrogen won't even fill one cylinder one time. Your YouTube guy should spend more time in front of a calculator, instead of a camera.

Mythbusters did a whole segment on the "miraculous" hydrogen generator for automotive use. It takes so much energy to make, store, and transport the hydrogen gas, that it is not a viable fuel for burning in an internal combustion engine. Fuel cells (they use hydrogen) for electric motors are more useful.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The hydrogen generator craze made it's rounds back when fuel prices spiked sky high. Needless to say, if it actually did work people would still be using it today in huge numbers.

But it doesn't. Electrolysis is a junior high science class experiment only. Very little hydrogen is actually produced. Why? Because electrolysis is the most inefficient method of producing hydrogen gas from water. And engines suck in so much airflow that the minuscule amount of hydrogen from these kits has zero impact on how the motor runs, and never makes a dent in fuel economy.

All the claims online are as fake as those Nigerian letters promising money if I help out a mysterious prince reclaim his fortune.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:34 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
All the claims online are as fake as those Nigerian letters promising money if I help out a mysterious prince reclaim his fortune.
Do you mean to tell me that I won't get the money? Now you have ruined my whole day!

Old 10-04-2014, 12:46 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Every alternative fuel forum I've been on have some pretty wild threads on hydrogen generators. The believers make for some enterntaining reading. Here's a long classic one from right here on FTE:https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...water4gas.html

Old 10-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by binuya
Every alternative fuel forum I've been on have some pretty wild threads on hydrogen generators. The believers make for some enterntaining reading. Here's a long classic one from right here on FTE:https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...water4gas.html
LOL I remember posting in that thread way back when. Last few pages I proposed a very simple test. No one ever took me up on it. Gee, I wonder why

Old 10-05-2014, 05:46 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
In that link, I question the high school with the engineering classes. Math alone should scream out "It ain't gunna work!" The sample they had was a 30 LPM device. Our engine uses 7.5 liters per set of intake strokes, which is two revolutions. The device allegedly makes enough hydrogen to feed our engines if we don't exceed 8 RPM.

Let's say somebody says "Butt Tugly, don't you need Oxygen too?" OK, fine... let's pretend there is a stoichiometric mix of... oh... 5% fuel. Don't go over 160 RPM.

All that is assuming the system can make 30 LPM. It can't... or every teenager in the country would make one - so they can make flammable floating balloons and compare lighting hydrogen to lighting a fart.

Why don't they sell fart collectors? It's just as viable as hydrogen by electrolysis.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Diesel 724
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is an interresting topic, those who say it works swear by it, those who say it dosent swear it dosent. Im going to sit on the fence and think its a good idea thats not practicle tho. Until someone could show you proof that its working with credible documentation i wouldnt belive it. They sear by it but never can show proof.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
If it worked, there would there would already be scientific confirmation. This isn't exactly a new concept.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:41 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 201 Likes on 108 Posts
The single largest complication I've run across when I looked into it several years back is the life of the electrode. The electrolysis process is highly corrosive for most metals, and unless you're running either platinum, titanium, or some other super exotic electrodes in some sort of pulse-generator, you won't get more than a couple volumes of water through the system before the electrical conductance of your electrode is pretty much shot. The second problem is having a large enough generator.

Old 10-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
No, the biggest problem is that it takes more energy to split hydrogen and oxygen than you can gain by burning the hydrogen. Didn't anyone else study physics?

Old 10-05-2014, 05:46 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Magic snake oils are exempt from the laws of physics. Sheesh, I thought everyone knew that

Old 10-06-2014, 06:26 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Dad messes around with this hydrogen stuff. Going on year 5. No luck on approvements of any sorts. He is in the 90amp club. Waiting for him to start the truck on fire. Keeps him busy i guess.

Quick Reply: Hydrogen generator?