Future CC-SCS Prerunner Build Thread - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Future CC-SCS Prerunner Build Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 07:32 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
oddfordjunkie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Future CC-SCS Prerunner Build Thread

I have been procrastinating making a build thread for quite some time but here we go.

This will be/become LONG!

I will disclose off the bat that the "finished" product will take me years to achieve. Also the truck as it sits Chassis/Body is a bit of a test mule for modifications so when I build the new chassis I will only need to do things once, hopefully.

I stumbled upon a 78 CCSB 2WD when my girlfriend (Wife now) did not want me riding the Harley through another Washington winter. I gave only had $400 so I was searching for a real beater to get me by, she told me to look at more expensive vehicles and would loan me the money. I found this 78 Crew Cab, first I'd ever heard of a 73-79 CC though I've had multiple 73-79 trucks. It was listed on Craigslist for $800, we ran down to the tow yard in Seattle that was selling it and the gentleman put a brand new battery in it while we were in transit. I did a quick overview, test drove and handed the man his full asking price of $800.

Covered in green growth with it's fair share of paint fade and character, it was "love at first sight"

When I bought the truck it had a tired/leaking 351M, C6, Dana 60.

1st stop, gas station.

After the 45 mile drive home.

A few weeks later I had cash in hand and offered it to the girlfriend to repay the cost she had loaned me, she refused to take it as she was the reason I looked for a vehicle I couldn't afford. Starting to understand why I married her? haha

After a removing the ugly old canopy and giving the truck a desperately needed bath, some improvement.

Removed the old vinyl floor cover to find the Flintsone option.

The first tow, my cousin's outrageously heavy trailer and my 1961 Econoline 5 window.

Swap meet scores.

Having tires put on to get rid of the factory 16.5" wheels.

Shiny wheels and a few paint touch-ups.

Will continue in another post...

Old 09-12-2014, 08:38 PM
redroad
Postmaster
redroad has a good reputation on FTE.redroad has a good reputation on FTE.
Nice truck and great beginning Looking forward to this thread BTW great old Dodge

Old 09-12-2014, 08:39 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Continuance

While using the truck as a daily driver I did minor things like lights, brake MC, changed front seat (any bench 73-96 bolts on factory rails), fluid changes, tune up etc etc etc

While changing the leaking valve cover gaskets I found what I had most feared, it was a Pennzoil Motor (3rd old vehicle I've bought like this), meaning that there was inches of built up crystalized oil/parrafin wax under the covers and blocking oil passages. I started the hunt for a new motor as I can recognized a time bomb when I hear one ticking. I also, since I have a weird obsession with the oddities surrounding 73-79 trucks, had learned what a Super Camper Special (SCS) truck is. The SCS or 140" wheelbase trucks are a single rear wheel (SRW) 1 ton variation with an 8' bed that has the axle set back farther and a really neat spare tire carrier.

I devised a scheme so outlandish only fellow truck nuts would understand, CREATING my dream truck. A long bodied, long travel land yacht only a "father" could love.

I searched and found my donor a mere 300 miles away for $500. A 1978 SCS (though not technically as last year of the SCS name was 1976) with a 460 C6 Dana 70, front and rear sway bars, dual batteries, dual tanks.

Had to take the doors/mirrors off to fit in my buddies trailer.

Back home after a long road trip.

Ugly and neglected (is this a theme) but a solid motor.

I had already removed the engine from the crew in front of my house in preparation so I got the SCS ready for the short tow over to a friends garage.

Loaded up and ready to go, the irony of the Parts truck towing the Daily Driver. haha

That was probably one of the most terrifying tows of my life! The carburetor was messed up, tires a little low and I found out on bridge that the U-bolts in the rear of the parts truck were "snug" at best. After having to replace my underwear on the roadside I finished the tow at a snails pace.

Motor out and stripped down to the short block.

Rods

Crank

Brinel test, I believe.

Cleaned and reassembling.

Poof can makeover.

Here was my mistake, I tried to build a "cool" motor cheaply. I purchased some Procomp Electronics products that proved to be expensive paperweights.

While the engine was out I cleaned up the engine compartment and used Duplicolor Undercoat in a can. I also did my Hydroboost conversion, more on that later.

In the crew, with a factory timing set, Edelbrock Performer intake and soon to loose the shiny valve covers. I also took this time to install the SCS power steering cooler, drivers side battery tray, a Jacobs ignition box and Ultra coil. Also a Holley I was borrowing.

I didn't take pictures due to frustration and in a hurry to get out of the garage I was borrowing. However the Procomp valve covers hit the Hydroboost, so they would never had cleared a vacuum booster.

Little later helping a friend move.

After adding Air bags, Firestone compressor and Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller. Towing a friends Highboy that he rescued from the junkyard.

All clean under the hood with the 460 in her new home.

Found these sweet Kustomfit brand seats at the junkyard for $40.

I drove the truck for a few months with only carb changes, tuning, tinkering etc. In that time I acquired a shop, got married, moved 100 miles away from my shop which I now drive back and forth to.

The old C6 lost 1st gear, so it was time for a little change...

I got a sweet deal on a full ZF5 setup with a tail shaft Parking Brake.

Looks a little TOO tight in there.

Due to the cool brake setup it would not clear the fuel tank, so I removed the tank, keep it simple right.

Other than the tank. I took the crossmember to frame pads off and mounted the crossmember on the lower frame rail. I rolled the cab seam up to clear the huge bellhousing on the ZF. Added clutch pedal assembly. Cut a hole for the shifter. Used the ZF mount on my original crossmember. Due to my ZF having a 1410 U-joint flange I got a 1410 flange for the Econoline rear I had and used a 2000 Superduty driveline, it required me moving the Carrier bracket mount 3".

You can kinda see my Hydraulic clutch master cylinder in there on the other side of the Hydroboost.

My work list during trans swap.

SORRY THAT THIS THREAD JUMPS AROUND!

While doing the trans swap I figured might as well install the E-250 disk brake Dana 60 I have sitting here. This one is Semi-Float but it will get a Full-Float eventually.

I also lifted the truck a little with a shackle flip in the rear and some spacers in the front.

The maiden voyage, not to the store and back, HE!! NO. I loaded up the wife who was 7 months pregnant and the dog to deliver an engine from Marysville Wa to Tri-Cities Wa, a few hundred miles half of which ended up having a snow storm. Truck did great other than the thermostat sticking open so it blew cold air through the heater, pregnant wife was NOT happy to say the least.

Stopped at a truck stop and blocked off the entire grill with duct tape, still cold heater... Just back on the western side of the mountian.

A few months later I decided I was bored with the grill. So from this.

To this.

Time for another intermission break from posting.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:45 PM
redroad
Postmaster
Wow, you've made an incredible amount of progress since my last post
I'm diggin the grille

Old 09-12-2014, 08:45 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by redroad View Post
Nice truck and great beginning Looking forward to this thread BTW great old Dodge
Thank you, but it's a 61 Ford Econoline pickup.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:48 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
I need to appolagize for this thread being a little scattered but I'm running off memory, mixed up pictures and covering 2.5 years of stuff.

There is a Ton of little things not covered and if anyone wants more in depth pictures or information just let me know.

Still more to go in order to be up to date.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:51 PM
redroad
Postmaster
Take your time and keep it coming Econoline I knew that .. So how old is the baby now?

Old 09-12-2014, 08:54 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
The baby, Evelyn, is now 4 months old, born April 29th 2014.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:29 PM
redroad
Postmaster
Congratulations ! She makes this thread even better

Old 09-12-2014, 10:43 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
I should also say that other than consumables like fluids, filters gaskets, paint etc that EVERYTHING is source through junkyard, craigslist, friends and hustling. To date I have under $2,000 into the truck.

Forgot that when I did the grill I also installed some Hella H4 conversion lights that have nice glass lenses and steel backs, paid $10 at JY for them.

Another swap meet, my alignment after the lift looks horrible in this picture but the back of the truck is loaded down.

If you noticed in the back of the truck were new tires, I got a nice set of 315-75-16 Kumho tires with 90% tread for $200 at the swap.

Was gutting the interior to put in sound deadening and found my build sheet under the springs in the REAR seat, neeto!

My first layer of sound deadening.

Wired in a tach and this was the best idea I could come up with, thought it was pretty slick, have since moved the Ground wire to the correct pin.

In this you can see part of the 2nd layer of sound deadening and some of the reason for all of it.

Taping the roof off for a rubberized coating due to some pin holes in the gutter, I should have tested the product beforehand as it never fully hardened and is currently washing/running off the roof very slowly.

It looked OK at first.

I them mounted the KC light bar I got from another Ford Nut.

Scored a Lund visor at a JY so this is what I came up with at HomeDepot for hardware sealing.

The visor mounted and you can see my tach mount through the windshield.

Here is a close-up of my spacer setup (poly body mount spacer) and Bilstien 7100 remote res shocks.

I've had people flip me $#!t about the spacers so I will just clarity now. The only reason the spacers are squished down at all is the amount of preload on them due to me torquing the bolt down a lot. If I had ANY concern about the safety of this setup it would NOT be on my truck.

I will add more later and cover the Hydroboost and the ZF5 swap a little more in depth, I also forgot to put in that I ported the Edelbrock intake and will show you all exactly how much extra material they leave in there.

I am currently at a financial stalemate but once money isn't scarce I will start on the new chassis.

Plans for the chassis are to use the SCS frame, as it's 8" channel instead of the usual 7" and stretch it for the crew cab. Where I do the stretch will be under the cab and I will be lowering the cab floor in order to use the bed floor from my current short box as my new cab floor, after all mounts are determined for body, drivetrain and suspension/steering I will be fully boxing. My projected final wheelbase is roughly 174". I will be using the SCS I-beams as they are wider and lengthening, plating, changing to a Spherical end pivot and bending (before final plating) to set the Camber. I already have the correct E350 spindles in order to build a forward steer "Double Swinger" steering setup.

That is but a small fraction of my Pipe-dream but I pick away at it a little at a time and in starting this thread I have been reminded how much this truck has changed in the 2.5 years I've owned it.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:43 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Also forgot to mention the Saginaw PS pump, -00 Freightliner battery cables, 3G alternator upgrade, LED panel in the dome light, perfect black dash pad, Locking hood release, footwell lights, ashtray light, glove box light, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, in the process of assembling a manual tilt column, gauge cluster modifications and I'm sure there is more.

I will be sifting through this list of things and more to cover upgrades and conversions more in depth for people who may be interested in doing the same or similar changes. As stated in the beginning of the thread this thing is currently a test mule so though I keep it from being a disaster I am not concerning myself with letting my CDO (OCD but alphabetical like it should be) go wild on this truck until I am building the new chassis and the body, which most of the sheet metal will be repaired/replaced.

Last edited by oddfordjunkie; 09-12-2014 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Was double post
Old 09-12-2014, 11:05 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
This was the little one's first ride in the truck.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:44 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
My engine developed an intake leak so I figured I may as well port it to see how much of a gain I can get.

Comparing the gasket to intake.

The plenum before I started.

All marked out in an "eat the line" fashion.

Getting an idea with 1 port "roughed in".

Initial cut on plenum. Cutting down the divider 1/2" is to move the power band up in the RPM range slightly.

One side ported one side not.

Plenum roughed before final smoothing.

In process of porting a runner and the water crossover port.

Done and compared to a "as cast" Edelbrock Performer intake.

Even though this did move my power band up a little ways I noticed a considerable gain in power throughout the entire operating range of the engine. I am very pleased for a modification that cost me nothing more than what I would have spent on gaskets anyways. Due to a very small and wore out old compressor this took me about 10 hours of porting, I have done similar work with a large compressor and it took about 6.5 hours.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:44 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Believe it's my internet connection but this is the 2nd time tonight my computer has done a Double Post

Last edited by oddfordjunkie; 09-12-2014 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 09-13-2014, 12:02 AM
teds74ford
Postmaster
teds74ford has a good reputation on FTE.teds74ford has a good reputation on FTE.teds74ford has a good reputation on FTE.
Cool thread! Keep it coming. Maybe one of these days I will start a build thread for my truck too. It has been neat to see your truck as the goal is similar to mine, but the actual execution is very different

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Future CC-SCS Prerunner Build Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.