Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bestop or Softopper?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 01:07 AM
ghanson
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Bestop or Softopper?

I know most people are against caps on truck beds, especially the canvas ones, but I'm in need of some cover for my truck bed and a canvas shell (not a tonneau cover) looks to be the best option for me. My question is, does anyone have any experience with either the Bestop or Softopper or any of their products in regards to quality and durability? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Old 09-08-2014, 04:18 AM
krooser
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can only say one of my son's had two different Bestop's on his Wrangler several years ago and both were nicely made and fit well.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:38 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bestop vs. Softopper I can't really say, I had a Bestop on my Jeep years ago, but that was that and then.

However I was looking out of curiosity and stumbled on this, might be worth checking out. Fastkap Truck Canopies Slides on the rails out of the little shell and has a glass rear window. When collapsed the little shell is kind of a little storage area, might be rather useful if combined with an under rail truck box. I thought it was pretty cool, might consider myself, no idea on pricing yet though. Edit, a bit of a search put them between roughly $1200 and $1500 but don't count on that.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:52 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
I've had Bestop products on my Bronco and on the '75 Jeep I used to own. Both seemed pretty good (although the top on the Bronco fits better than the one on the Jeep did).

Why don't you want a hard topper on the truck? Just because others "are against" them doesn't seem like a real reason. I've had fiberglass toppers on my trucks since '98 and I probably always will. It provides (reasonably) secure protection for stuff (including dogs), being color-matched to the vehicle it looks good (although I can see why some might prefer the lines of an open pickup).

I've set some posts in my yard that I can drive between. I lift the topper up and my wife attaches boards to the posts to support the topper so I can drive the truck out from under it. it takes maybe 10 minutes to remove or install it.

Of course if you want a soft topper that's fine too. Just want to make sure you're ruling out a hard topper for good reasons.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:03 PM
hotrod351
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a bestop bikini top on my old jeep for 25 years now. sits outside in the arizona heat. still good condition. now if they make the newer one as good as the old one, well then thats the one to buy.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:10 PM
ghanson
More Turbo
Thank you for the responses! I don't want a hard top because I have an tool box I want to be able to get to, and because I use the bed for large items too often and I have no place to store a shell. I know a canvas top offers very little physical security, but it's much better for storing loose gear than an open bed. Also, it would provide some shelter should inclement weather threaten a good camping trip, both for me while stationary, and my gear when roadtripping to wherever. I've been torn between the Softopper and the Bestop for a while, the Softopper is slightly cheaper and is offered in multiple colors (I like the charcoal one as it would absorb less heat than black, and fade less than black in the Arizona sun). As for the Bestop, it is a trusted company that I've heard nothing but good things about (thanks to you all as well) and it comes with side windows to alleviate blind spots. All considered, I'm leaning towards the Bestop for the quality, and the side windows make it safer and easier while driving.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:31 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ghanson
Thank you for the responses! I don't want a hard top because I have an tool box I want to be able to get to, and because I use the bed for large items too often and I have no place to store a shell. I know a canvas top offers very little physical security, but it's much better for storing loose gear than an open bed. Also, it would provide some shelter should inclement weather threaten a good camping trip, both for me while stationary, and my gear when roadtripping to wherever. I've been torn between the Softopper and the Bestop for a while, the Softopper is slightly cheaper and is offered in multiple colors (I like the charcoal one as it would absorb less heat than black, and fade less than black in the Arizona sun). As for the Bestop, it is a trusted company that I've heard nothing but good things about (thanks to you all as well) and it comes with side windows to alleviate blind spots. All considered, I'm leaning towards the Bestop for the quality, and the side windows make it safer and easier while driving.
Did you check out that fastkap, security wise it does lock and block the tailgate, so at least a determined thief would have a hard time with large or heavy items even if they cut open the top.

FWIW personally if security is an issue I'm a big proponent of no or blacked out windows. A thief that can't see anything worth stealing is unlikely to take the risk. Blind spots are better solved with good mirrors.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:58 PM
ghanson
More Turbo
Originally Posted by BruteFord
Did you check out that fastkap, security wise it does lock and block the tailgate, so at least a determined thief would have a hard time with large or heavy items even if they cut open the top.

FWIW personally if security is an issue I'm a big proponent of no or blacked out windows. A thief that can't see anything worth stealing is unlikely to take the risk. Blind spots are better solved with good mirrors.
Thanks for your input BruteFord! I forgot to address the fastkap option. I do really like the idea of the fastkap, but its a bit more expensive (the Bestop is about $900), and from what I can see, it looks like it will prevent access to my tool box as the cover collapses directly over it. As for the security, if someone really wants something, there very little to do to stop them, I'd just toss a tarp or blanket over whatever gear if I wanted to hide it. For anything of real value (like the refrigerator dolly and Pelican cases in the bed now, I lock them with a heavy chain secured to a locking hitch pin through the hole in one of my stake pockets. They'd need a fullsize bolt cutter to steal it.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:40 PM
Briansshop
Fleet Mechanic
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
I've got a Can-Back on my 350. Had it about 10yrs, like it. Can-Back Canvas Truck Camper Shell

Name:  new016.jpg
Views: 24965
Size:  72.1 KB

Old 09-08-2014, 08:23 PM
ghanson
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Briansshop
I've got a Can-Back on my 350. Had it about 10yrs, like it. Can-Back Canvas Truck Camper Shell
That looks like a great cover, but how much work does it take to take the frame off and on? Also, looking at the site, the company has had some supply issues and might not exist anymore, last update was over a year ago. Then, there's the price, it's more than my other options and I don't need the cap to support any weight.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Colorodo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw the Bestop on eBay for $699.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:10 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ghanson
Thanks for your input BruteFord! I forgot to address the fastkap option. I do really like the idea of the fastkap, but its a bit more expensive (the Bestop is about $900), and from what I can see, it looks like it will prevent access to my tool box as the cover collapses directly over it. As for the security, if someone really wants something, there very little to do to stop them, I'd just toss a tarp or blanket over whatever gear if I wanted to hide it. For anything of real value (like the refrigerator dolly and Pelican cases in the bed now, I lock them with a heavy chain secured to a locking hitch pin through the hole in one of my stake pockets. They'd need a fullsize bolt cutter to steal it.
Just going to play fastkap advocate, not that I have anything invested, just to backup my suggestion.

Don't blame you at all for the price issue, from what I've seen they seem steep, compared to what I've seen of Can-Back though, seems a better deal.

As for bed box, from looking at the pics I get the impression of a large space within the solid portion when collapsed, that the rear door still latches. That with the right box it would seal the area above the box making a good secure space and depending on the lid of the box leave room to open it.

Talking about visibility, having a glass window over a soft plastic one is a big advantage, any jeep owner will tell you that one.