Sponsored by: Moser

1978 f100 Ranger C6 to AOD Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 09:50 PM
Ryansilas
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1978 f100 Ranger C6 to AOD Swap

Hey, I have drug my grandfathers old f100 out and and starting to clean it up so i can hopefully restore it in the future. The old 302 is still going strong (and going on 400,000 miles ) so im going to leave it alone and focus on the starter eating transmission. I have no intentions of towing anything with it, i have a 69 f350 for that so i want to turn it into a cruiser with an AOD transmission. I imagine ill have to reposition the crossmember, but what i am wondering is if i will have to shorten my drive shaft and what dust cover should i use. Also let me know if i will have to get another speedometer cable. thanks.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:58 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryansilas
Hey, I have drug my grandfathers old f100 out and and starting to clean it up so i can hopefully restore it in the future. The old 302 is still going strong (and going on 400,000 miles ) so im going to leave it alone and focus on the starter eating transmission. I have no intentions of towing anything with it, i have a 69 f350 for that so i want to turn it into a cruiser with an AOD transmission. I imagine ill have to reposition the crossmember, but what i am wondering is if i will have to shorten my drive shaft and what dust cover should i use. Also let me know if i will have to get another speedometer cable. thanks.
Imagine. Wonder.

Read this for information: Ford AOD Overdrive Transmission | Hemmings Motor News

Old 08-28-2014, 05:55 AM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have a 302 then it may have a c/4 behind it instead of the c/6. If the starters are not lasting long then most likely it's got some bad teeth on the flywheel [flex plate] and not a transmission problem. The AOD is about 1" longer than the c/4 so it should just drop in. If not you can do like i did and move the engine mount stands ahead 1" , cheaper than buying another drive shaft. I replaced a 360 in my 73 f-100 that came with a standard trany making it a little different because they never came with the holes in the frame for a 302. Move the transmember back to the rear hole in the frame or drill new holes if that's not enough. You will need to get a " lokar" cable and a few other small parts to get it on the road. The hope it works , so far mine has been skipping second gear and i haven't got to drive it much . Rebuilt trany under warranty , not worried about getting it fixed , just tired of waiting on the mechanics to get it back together.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:32 AM
Doc_G
Senior User
Originally Posted by jim collins
If you have a 302 then it may have a c/4 behind it instead of the c/6. If the starters are not lasting long then most likely it's got some bad teeth on the flywheel [flex plate] and not a transmission problem. The AOD is about 1" longer than the c/4 so it should just drop in. If not you can do like i did and move the engine mount stands ahead 1" , cheaper than buying another drive shaft. I replaced a 360 in my 73 f-100 that came with a standard trany making it a little different because they never came with the holes in the frame for a 302. Move the transmember back to the rear hole in the frame or drill new holes if that's not enough. You will need to get a " lokar" cable and a few other small parts to get it on the road. The hope it works , so far mine has been skipping second gear and i haven't got to drive it much . Rebuilt trany under warranty , not worried about getting it fixed , just tired of waiting on the mechanics to get it back together.
If you're referring to the AOD skipping second gear, it's designed to do so IMO. To catch second gear in every AOD mustang I've ever owned I had to do what was colloquially known as the AOD (or 1,D,1) shuffle. I've never added a manual valve body to an AOD so it may be different once that's done, but I can assure you that the AOD shuffle will kill one eventually (in some cases in short order) if you're pushing any "decent" power through one.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:11 AM
Ryansilas
New User
Thanks for the information. As for the hemmings article, i knew the swap was possible, i just needed the specifics for my truck. And mine does have a c6, i looked up the numbers and checked the fluid pan. The reason for eating the starters is because the bell housing is damaged. We had someone replace the torque converter and didnt realize what they did until it ate its first starter about 2 months after.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:40 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Doc_G
If you're referring to the AOD skipping second gear, it's designed to do so IMO. To catch second gear in every AOD mustang I've ever owned I had to do what was colloquially known as the AOD (or 1,D,1) shuffle. I've never added a manual valve body to an AOD so it may be different once that's done, but I can assure you that the AOD shuffle will kill one eventually (in some cases in short order) if you're pushing any "decent" power through one.

No , i'v had them before and no skipping gear. It was not doing it until i took it in to get the overdrive working . Overdrive works now but skips second part of the time. I know what you mean by 1,D,1 shuffle , the mechanic that rebuilt it was doing it that way when i road with him in it. I don't know what all they did to it but they did put some kind of shift kit in so that may be where the problem is. They said they will fix it under warranty so it's their problem if they want to be paid , which i haven't done yet.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:45 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Thanks for the information. As for the hemmings article, i knew the swap was possible, i just needed the specifics for my truck. And mine does have a c6, i looked up the numbers and checked the fluid pan. The reason for eating the starters is because the bell housing is damaged. We had someone replace the torque converter and didnt realize what they did until it ate its first starter about 2 months after.

I see , yes that would be hard on starters. With the C/6 you most likely will need a different drive shaft as the c/6 may be longer than a c/4 . I know the ones from a 460 are longer, they may have made the one for the 302 with a shorter tail shaft , i don't know.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Ryansilas
New User
I shouldnt have a problem with shortening it if i have to, and i may know someone who can balance it. The only thing i cant figure out is the slip yoke. I know the AOD has a 28 spline and the C6 has a 31 spline output shaft. What slip yoke would i need to get and will i have to get a certain U-joint for it?

Old 09-11-2014, 04:13 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

I shouldnt have a problem with shortening it if i have to, and i may know someone who can balance it. The only thing i cant figure out is the slip yoke. I know the AOD has a 28 spline and the C6 has a 31 spline output shaft. What slip yoke would i need to get and will i have to get a certain U-joint for it?
Just order it for the AOD, there are 2 sizes that i know of, can't remember the numbers. I went with the smaller size so it would match up with what i had on the drive shaft. They make a u-joint that will connect the large and small together, i had one but i was saving it for another project later.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:34 AM
axelgawn
Senior User
Originally Posted by jim collins
Just order it for the AOD, there are 2 sizes that i know of, can't remember the numbers. I went with the smaller size so it would match up with what i had on the drive shaft. They make a u-joint that will connect the large and small together, i had one but i was saving it for another project later.

Hey I just wanted to ask you how your 302 and aod swap went and how the truck is running so far. I am also interested in doing the same swap but I wanted to know if you had any unexpected surprises? parts needed, things break or not fit right, new parts you didn't think you needed but had to go get.