General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Kyocera Brigadier vs Casio Commando

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 07:55 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Kyocera Brigadier vs Casio Commando

I'm in the market for a new phone again. I have had a 3g Commando for the last few years, and it has worked quite well. I honestly don't know what all the negative reviews are about, I've only had it lock a couple times and it was easy to get it to behave, and I've been using the hell out of it. Dropped it in the mud more times than I care to think, dropped it on concrete, got welding spatter on it, and the only issue is my oldest son managed to smash the screen on the last one, over two years ago. The current one has been going strong since then, but 3g speed isn't really serving my needs anymore.
I had wanted to get the Commando 4g, but it's no longer available new. It has the same BS reviews as my older one, so I'm just throwing those out the window. The current rugged smartphone is the Kyocera Brigadier, which while it has many of the same features, it doesn't have a thermometer and the battery is inside instead of being easily accessed. It has a barometer which I really don't need, higher screen resolution along with a larger screen (not a big deal for me), and better camera (again doesn't really matter), but otherwise is pretty similar.
Has anyone had both of these, or is able to give a proper user review of one?

Old 08-20-2014, 07:12 AM
slimbo13
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-20-2014, 01:14 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Yup, I've read the reviews by people who have no use for something like this and can do laboratory tests. What I want is real world results, the reviews of my Commando were terrible but it's been an awesome phone for me for nearly three years now.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Well, I got the Kyocera, and have been generally happy with it. It's fast, gives good reception (better than anything else at work), and handles a good dozen or do drops a day. The downside is there isn't enough rubbery surface to not fall out of my pocket, but I modified it with some RTV on the battery cover. It's also much less glitchy than the old one, although it needs a restart every few days.

Sent from my Brigadier using IB AutoGroup

Old 04-08-2016, 12:26 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
It's about time for a long term update-
This phone has been decent. My wife got the same one, and managed to crack the screen, I have no idea how but she cracked the sapphire screen. Mine survived over a year in hard use, which included frequent intentional and unintentional trips to the floor, graceful glides into walls, and other things you generally don't do to smartphones.
Unfortunately, it died from an update. It downloaded and attempted to install 5.1, and went into a boot loop. It'll power on, show the "android" screen, the "Kyocera" screen, then power off again. It has only done this since it shut down to install the update.
I took it to Verizon, they said Kyocera sent the update, but Kyocera says Verizon sent it. Both are basically saying I am SOL, go buy a new phone.
So, nearly a year of payments left and an update I didn't ask for bricked my phone, and they leave me holding the bag.
I liked the phone, but I guess I'll take the advice and get a new one. Something not on Verizon, and not made by Kyocera. Garbage service is my number one pet peeve, and they both gave it.
Hopefully if anyone is looking for a rugged smartphone they will not buy this one.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:16 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,230 Likes on 808 Posts
I have an S5 packed nice and tight in an OTTERBOX and I couldn't be any happier. I carry mail so it's exposed tot he elements, gets dropped and is used all day with my bluetooth. My SIL just got the new S7 and has the same great reviews as we do with the S5.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:36 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,409 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
It's about time for a long term update-
This phone has been decent. My wife got the same one, and managed to crack the screen, I have no idea how but she cracked the sapphire screen. Mine survived over a year in hard use, which included frequent intentional and unintentional trips to the floor, graceful glides into walls, and other things you generally don't do to smartphones.
I had to chuckle at this comment---its been said that gender could screw up a junkyard with a Q-Tip. Mind you that's NOT an insult towards any one wife, girlfriend, sister or otherwise but good gravy the things I've been asked to fix that should have been indestructible but proved otherwise---in the hands of certain people anyway.

Then again they can and do keep dead flowers safely tucked away inside an envelope or book f-o-r-e-v-e-r and not think another thought about it. Baffles me completely BUT its just one reason we love and need that second gender.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:57 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Well, update time again. After a couple weeks they finally caved and I got a replacement Kyocera. Then last week it fell off my toolbox, nicked an open drawer on the way down, and managed to gain a nice crack across the screen.
The warranty date on this phone is the same as my old one, so no hope of replacement now.
I am looking at the Cat S60 with the thermal camera, there are a lot of times that would come in handy at work. It's just really expensive, and I haven't been able to get my hands on one to see if I'll even like it.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:42 AM
Cruiseomatic
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the Brigadier....But it's on T-mobile. How? Their sim card, stop a certain service, change the APN, restart said service. Verizon tried like hell to lock it to them but some of us found a way around them. As far as service life, Mine has been fine. But, I do prefer the commando now.....Mine died from a "update". So did my torque from sprint. So now, All my phones are locked out of receiving OTA updates. If I don't allow it, It doesn't happen.

I don't like how Kyrocera "seals" up the phone...Casio was much better. I work in water distribution for a municipality so my phone is ALWAYS under water....I need to get new o-ring gaskets for it.....But, it survives each time.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:54 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Another update-
While the cracked screen still works, once you crack a single piece crystal it's much more susceptible to cracking, so now my whole screen is pretty trashed. It'll be a bit before I can afford to replace this one, but I am seriously leaning towards the Cat S60. The thermal camera is pretty cool and useful in my field, and there is so far only one negative review of it.